Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Try this question on a friend posted to me on facebook

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Try this question on a friend posted to me on facebook [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 08:31
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1*0=?

Some said the answer was 13, others say the answer is 0. Are there any Number Properties geniuses out there who can help with this crazy problem
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Try this question on a friend posted to me on facebook [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:00
IMO answer is 13. As far as I can see, there are no tricks in this problem.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 114

Re: Try this question on a friend posted to me on facebook [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:25
PEMDAS - Parenthesis, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction

This is what "order of operations" that you should do all math work in.

So first you'd do 1*0 = 0, then you'd add all the 1's together.

I see the answer as 15, but only because you have 16 ones and 1 zero.

The reason why this question is slightly confusing, is if you didn't know the order to do the work you would add up all the 1's, and then multiply by zero. Obviously, anything multiplied by 0 is 0, but in this case you adding to that 0 once that operation is completed.

If you change the problem to (1+1+1+1...+1)*0, then you'd do the parenthesis first, and end up with 0 as your answer.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Try this question on a friend posted to me on facebook [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 10:32
GMATLA wrote:
PEMDAS - Parenthesis, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction

The reason why this question is slightly confusing, is if you didn't know the order to do the work you would add up all the 1's, and then multiply by zero. Obviously, anything multiplied by 0 is 0, but in this case you adding to that 0 once that operation is completed.

If you change the problem to (1+1+1+1...+1)*0, then you'd do the parenthesis first, and end up with 0 as your answer.

GMATLA, thanks for your input. I rushed on this question and made the same mistake, but after careful analysis I later saw what made it slightly confusing. I really feel dumb for even getting this wrong, but hey I am learning something daily or having basic concepts reinforced to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Try this question on a friend posted to me on facebook [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 10:58
definately 15. Not as contraversial as
6÷2(1+2)=
1 or 9

Division should be before Multiplication but some suggest a paranthesis multiplication takes priority.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Try this question on a friend posted to me on facebook [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 10:43
GMATLA wrote:

In the OP one of the 1s is a -1, making the answers 13 not 15.

Someone posted this on FB a few weeks ago, with the caption "Why are so many people making a big deal out of this, its easy math, the answer is 0. Anything * 0 = 0"

I didnt bother to respond, but it made my head hurt.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Try this question on a friend posted to me on facebook [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 10:46
aalba005 wrote:
definately 15. Not as contraversial as
6÷2(1+2)=
1 or 9

Division should be before Multiplication but some suggest a paranthesis multiplication takes priority.

I think the rule is anything inside a paranthesis comes first, and doesnt include anything outside. Writing 3*3 is the exact same thing as writing 3(3). Atleast that's always been my understanding
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Try this question on a friend posted to me on facebook [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 19:32
It is 13.How to account as 0 .I am puzzled.
Re: Try this question on a friend posted to me on facebook   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2012, 19:32