Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 01:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Trying to decide if I should take the GMAT now or later?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Trying to decide if I should take the GMAT now or later? [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 05:27
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and new to the GMAT journey. I will possibly be taking the GMAT in late August, so I'm not sure if I've already left it too long. I have a year of my BBA left, and would ideally like to apply for MBA school in the fall and start shortly after I graduate with my BBA. The MBA program I have been looking at does not require work experience, so I don't have to obtain that before applying. If I do not write the GMAT this summer, I would have to wait another year to apply.

I guess the issue is that I'm really not sure if I should write the GMAT this summer or not. I am working full time and am really busy, but I can make the time to study. I'm not sure if I've left it too late and do not have enough time to properly prepare now. I have not purchased any guides yet, and would have to order them off the internet, which would probably take a week or so. I was looking at ordering the 3 official guides, as well as the set of 8 Manhattan guides. Any additional suggestions?

I did take a sample exam (GMATPrep), and got a score of 500 (32Q/27V). This was with no studying at all. I thought I would be stronger in verbal, but it was the other way around. I would need at least a 550 to apply, but would like it at least a little bit higher than that.

I know that I have to make the ultimate decision, but I guess I'd like to get an idea of what is reasonable and I know that I'd have to get started very soon. Suggestions anyone?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Trying to decide if I should take the GMAT now or later? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
Going from a 500->550 (or even a 600) should not require too much time. If you can dedicate 5-10 hours per week, maybe 3 weeks or so.

A few notes:

Keep an error log. Avoiding a few mistakes on the real thing will help you get that bump
Use the book threads (search for GMAT Math and GMAT Verbal) to select the books to address your weakest sections/subsections. Your score is only as good as your weakest section
Time management is key.

You're only a few points away in each section to your desired score.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Trying to decide if I should take the GMAT now or later? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 17:47
Thanks for the advice and encouragement... :)
I'm still a little confused on the error log, but am doing some research on it now...
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Trying to decide if I should take the GMAT now or later? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2011, 10:52
An error log is a method of keeping track of problems and test, namely mistakes and looking for routine issues/identifying fundamental flaws in approach. You may use a spreadsheet as a template, but your error log is for you.

My error log was a paper, pen and a simple legend for marking problems (problems I guessed on, problems I was able to narrow down, problems I got wrong, problems I spent too much time on, etc.).

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User
Re: Trying to decide if I should take the GMAT now or later? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2011, 11:53
I think you can easily achieve your goal with the time you have if you practice regularly and can quickly recognize the topics you struggle most with. In your shoes, I would try to get used to the questions, maybe doing the Official Guide ones, spending 1 or 2 hours every day. In a month time, you could take a CAT to see where you stand. But I definitely think you can achieve 550 or greater during this summer.
Intern
Intern

Re: Trying to decide if I should take the GMAT now or later? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 16:30
Thanks everyone!!! I found out today that I'm going to have to write it on August 18. I'm a little concerned that I do not have enough time. I'm almost through the number properties book and am moving on to the next one soon. Hoping to fit in some study time almost every day.
Re: Trying to decide if I should take the GMAT now or later?   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2011, 16:30