Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 325 [86]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Management Consulting
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [7]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 975 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1051 [4]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: Trying to learn some of the basics of programming is the same as to ti [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO A

here two clauses are compared , and therfore as is correct
trying(VERB) in 2nd clause after as is in ellipse , and hence the structure before and after as is not parallel in all except A
i.e trying to learn.....is same as (trying ) to tinker--------> Choice A is absoultely parallel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Trying to learn some of the basics of programming is the same as to ti [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Trying to learn some of the basics of programming is the same as to tinker with a car when one is a teenager: some people end up going to engineering school, and others, twenty years later, remember nothing of the experience.

(A) the same as to tinker with a car when one is a teenager
(B) similar to a teenager tinkering with a car
(C) like tinkering with a car as a teenager
(D) the same as a teenager tinkering with a car
(E) like the teenager’s tinkering with a car

(C) is correct

noboru,
I noticed you mentioned the following:
Quote:
"The only thing that I see wrong with choice C is that it uses 'like' to compare actions; we an only use 'like' to compare nouns. "

Be careful!
You should not be reading "trying" as a verb. Instead, you can read the entire phrase as:

"[the act of] trying to learn"
is like
"[the act of] tinkering with a car"

So you can use "like" when comparing to acts of doing something, as in this case. The words "try" and "tinker" are verbs by themselves, but once you add the "-ING" and use them in this context where you can mentally add in "the act of" in front of the words, then they are no longer acting as verbs.

Essentially, you are drawing similarities between two ACTIONS.

One action is the act of "trying."
The other is the act of "tinkering."

Answer choice C accurately portrays this concept.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia, NYU, Wharton, UCLA, Berkeley
WE 1: 2 Yrs mgmt consulting
WE 2: 2 yrs m&a
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with GMATPill. You can treat the Verb-ing phrases as noun phrases with "act of verbing" in the front.
Quote:

"[the act of] trying to learn"
is like
"[the act of] tinkering with a car"

I think the other answer choices are not wrong in conversational use. Technically and as the GMAT would test it, parallelism would be the best answer choice.

"Trying to learn..is like tinkering with a car"
This answer choice C is the only one that uses the structure "-ING is like -ING"
The others are variations and are not parallel. Conversationally correct but GMAT-wise C will be the best answer. Thanks GMATPill.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
First of all, this essence of this question is comparison of comparable things both in logic and form.

A falters at the very outset, because the text tries to compare 'trying to learn’, a gerund, with 'to tinker' an infinitive; this is logically and structurally ungrammatical.

B also indulges in the fatal error of comparing trying with a teenager.

C uses the preposition ‘like’ for comparison. Therefore the preposition ‘like’ should take a noun after it and also compare a process with another process. Trying is a gerund and a process and tinkering is gerund and a process and both are structurally and logically comparable. Hence C ought to be the right choice.

D uses ‘as’ and has the error of using a noun phrase after ‘as’ rather than a clause.

In E, the objection is for using the definite article ‘the’. ‘A teenager’s tinkering’ is different from ‘the teen-ager’s tinkering’.

The official answer being A is not a concern, unless it is an OA or OE from GPRP or OG.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
the question is from 1000 series. It is provided that answer is A, but I believe that it is C.

Trying and tinkering are both gerunds. Gerunds are action nouns. Dissimillar nouns are compared using "like" , similar the same as. Do both of the procese are exactly similar or have a degree of dismiliraity?
Try to - is an idiom.
Think about parallelism here. doing smth is like doing smth....

C wins.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [3]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Ankit04041987 wrote:
Trying to learn some of the basics of programming is the same as to tinker with a car when one is a teenager: some people end up going to engineering school, and others, twenty years later, remember nothing of the experience.
(A) the same as to tinker with a car when one is a teenager
(B) similar to a teenager tinkering with a car
(C) like tinkering with a car as a teenager
(D) the same as a teenager tinkering with a car
(E) like the teenager’s tinkering with a car

IMO answer should be A.
(A) the same as to tinker with a car when one is a teenager (Looks fine, right comparison between learn and tinker)
(B) similar to a teenager tinkering with a car (learning is compared to a teenager, which is wrong comparison)
(C) like tinkering with a car as a teenager (Like is used to compared the nouns, so "Like" is a wrong here)
(D) the same as a teenager tinkering with a car (wrong comparison, learning compared with a teenager)
(E) like the teenager’s tinkering with a car ( Same as C, "Like" cannot be used)

Correct me if I am wrong.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
The only possible choice is A. Other choices used the wrong comparison items "Trying to learn some basics of programming" with "teenager", or the wrong usage of the word "like".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
I would actually lean towards C. A does not retain parallel verb forms; you have "trying" paired with "tinker". B, D and E, meanwhile, have slightly differing meanings, on account of their having shifted slightly too much of the focus from the act of tinkering to the teenager performing said tinkering.

This leaves C as my preferred response.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos