Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Trying to learn some of the basics of programming is the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Trying to learn some of the basics of programming is the [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 22:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Trying to learn some of the basics of programming is the same as to tinker with a car when one is a teenager: some people end up going to engineering school, and others, twenty years later, remember nothing of the experience.

(A) the same as to tinker with a car when one is a teenager
(B) similar to a teenager tinkering with a car
(C) like tinkering with a car as a teenager
(D) the same as a teenager tinkering with a car
(E) like the teenager’s tinkering with a car
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 06:20
C

Needs "tinkering" since "trying" is the primary verb not "learn".
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 12:24
I would go with A.

To learn .. To tinker...
Moreover, like does'nt suit here... the sentence stem is comparing verbs...

Trying is not the main verb... put an assumed 'trying' before 'to tinker' and read the sentence...

Wat's the OA??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 19:28
If we take the phrase some of....out the sentence will read:

a. Trying to learn is the same as to tinker with a car when one is a teenager:

C. Trying to learn is like tinkering with a car as a teenager

what sounds better.

I will got with C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 19:39
both A and C looks good to me, but Fistail is A the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 22:18
A does it for me :)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Trying to learn some of the basics of programming [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 23:13
Fistail wrote:
Trying to learn some of the basics of programming is the same as to tinker with a car when one is a teenager: some people end up going to engineering school, and others, twenty years later, remember nothing of the experience.

The only thing that I see wrong with choice C is that it uses 'like' to compare actions; we an only use 'like' to compare nouns.

If choice C read 'as tinkering with a car as a teenager' would it be correct (over A)?

I don't see how we can distinguish b/w choice A & C on the basis of parallelism. How do we know that 'to learn' is supposed to be parallel to 'to tinker'? Why doesn't 'trying' have to be parallel with 'tinkering'?

Any thoughts??
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 275 [1] , given: 2

Re: SC: Trying to learn some of the basics of programming [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
GK_Gmat wrote:
Fistail wrote:

The only thing that I see wrong with choice C is that it uses 'like' to compare actions; we an only use 'like' to compare nouns.

If choice C read 'as tinkering with a car as a teenager' would it be correct (over A)?

I don't see how we can distinguish b/w choice A & C on the basis of parallelism. How do we know that 'to learn' is supposed to be parallel to 'to tinker'? Why doesn't 'trying' have to be parallel with 'tinkering'?

Any thoughts??

Because the main verb is 'to learn', not 'trying'.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 690 [0], given: 6

Re: SC: Trying to learn some of the basics of programming [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 11:15
Expert's post
Quote:

(C) is correct

noboru,
I noticed you mentioned the following:
Quote:
"The only thing that I see wrong with choice C is that it uses 'like' to compare actions; we an only use 'like' to compare nouns. "

Be careful!
You should not be reading "trying" as a verb. Instead, you can read the entire phrase as:

"[the act of] trying to learn"
is like
"[the act of] tinkering with a car"

So you can use "like" when comparing to acts of doing something, as in this case. The words "try" and "tinker" are verbs by themselves, but once you add the "-ING" and use them in this context where you can mentally add in "the act of" in front of the words, then they are no longer acting as verbs.

Essentially, you are drawing similarities between two ACTIONS.

One action is the act of "trying."
The other is the act of "tinkering."

Answer choice C accurately portrays this concept.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia, NYU, Wharton, UCLA, Berkeley
WE 1: 2 Yrs mgmt consulting
WE 2: 2 yrs m&a
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: SC: Trying to learn some of the basics of programming [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 11:35
I agree with GMATPill. You can treat the Verb-ing phrases as noun phrases with "act of verbing" in the front.
Quote:

is like

I think the other answer choices are not wrong in conversational use. Technically and as the GMAT would test it, parallelism would be the best answer choice.

"Trying to learn..is like tinkering with a car"
This answer choice C is the only one that uses the structure "-ING is like -ING"
The others are variations and are not parallel. Conversationally correct but GMAT-wise C will be the best answer. Thanks GMATPill.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 2

Re: SC: Trying to learn some of the basics of programming [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 23:55
gmatpill wrote:
Quote:

(C) is correct

noboru,
I noticed you mentioned the following:
Quote:
"The only thing that I see wrong with choice C is that it uses 'like' to compare actions; we an only use 'like' to compare nouns. "

Be careful!
You should not be reading "trying" as a verb. Instead, you can read the entire phrase as:

is like

So you can use "like" when comparing to acts of doing something, as in this case. The words "try" and "tinker" are verbs by themselves, but once you add the "-ING" and use them in this context where you can mentally add in "the act of" in front of the words, then they are no longer acting as verbs.

Essentially, you are drawing similarities between two ACTIONS.

One action is the act of "trying."
The other is the act of "tinkering."

Answer choice C accurately portrays this concept.

Im afraid OA is A, which // to think and to tinker.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 2

Re: SC: Trying to learn some of the basics of programming [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 23:56
meatdumpling wrote:
I agree with GMATPill. You can treat the Verb-ing phrases as noun phrases with "act of verbing" in the front.
Quote:

is like

I think the other answer choices are not wrong in conversational use. Technically and as the GMAT would test it, parallelism would be the best answer choice.

"Trying to learn..is like tinkering with a car"
This answer choice C is the only one that uses the structure "-ING is like -ING"
The others are variations and are not parallel. Conversationally correct but GMAT-wise C will be the best answer. Thanks GMATPill.

OA is not C. Do you want to try again?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 690 [0], given: 6

Re: SC: Trying to learn some of the basics of programming [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 03:59
Expert's post
Tricky! A small subtlety, but the comparison is actually :

"Trying to learn" and "[trying] to tinker"

This would maintain consistency/parallelism and is the reason (A) is correct---there is an implied repetition of the word "trying" that I overlooked.

The subtlety I missed on first read was that in (C), "Tinkering with a car" is not exactly in the same format as "Trying to learn"--even though it contains the -ING verb.

"Trying to learn"
is in the form of
"-ING verb + to + verb"

In order for (C) to be correct, it would have to be also in the form of "-ING verb + to + verb"

For example, (C) would have to be something like: "like intending to play around with a car as a teenager"

Eliminating (C) because of the word "like" would not be right, as explained earlier. However, eliminating (C) because it is not exactly of the form "-ING verb + to + verb"--is a legitimate reason.

So it boils down to 2 things:
1) recognizing that there is an implied repeat of the word "trying" in answer choice A: "[trying] to tinker"
2) recognizing that the -ING verb "tinkering" in (C) is not good enough---you also need the "to + verb" afterwards in order to maintain consistency.

Apologies for the confusion eariler--but hopefully the explanation makes sense!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia, NYU, Wharton, UCLA, Berkeley
WE 1: 2 Yrs mgmt consulting
WE 2: 2 yrs m&a
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: SC: Trying to learn some of the basics of programming [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 09:50
So, the sentence even though it says "trying to learn..." and "is the same as to tinker"

it's implied that it is the same as saying

"trying to learn..." and "is the same as [trying to] tinker"
which is Answer A.

So A is not wrong? To achieve parallelism both sides should have ING+to+verb, but the second doesn't explicitly have [trying to]..but since it's implied, then answer A is actually legit and parallel balanced. Is that the right way of thinking? Seems so.

And C is wrong because of the ING+to+verb concept, but conversationally we would always slip in phrases that let C be correct. A officially is the right answer.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Trying to learn some of the basics of programming is the [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 10:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Trying to learn some of the basics of programming is the   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2013, 10:22