Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Trying to study and getting Nowhere

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Trying to study and getting Nowhere [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 16:56
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and I was hoping someone might have some good advice for me. I took the GMAT in November and got a 540. My math was a dismal 28 but my verbal was in the 76th percentile so I am not too worried about that. The weird part was that all the practice tests I took before that gave me a math score of around 38, my verbal was always the weak part. My practice test scores always ranged in to 500's but again my verbal being the killer. So on the actual test day when my math completely dropped and my verbal skyrocketed I was amazed. I basically spent most of my time looking at the math because that has always been my week point. I spent maybe a week out of about 3 months on the verbal (really hardcore anyway). So anyway I am trying to retake the GMAT and get at least a 600 this time, however I am at a complete loss as to what to study or how this time. The first time I did all of the Manhatten GMAT books and now I have been trying to go over those again but its really not working, i make the same mistakes on the same questions. My practice tests aren't scoring any better either so I am at a loss of what to do. I am obviously doing something way wronng, but I don't know exactly what. I just ordered the MGMAT foundations of math book because I feel that i need some Basic math brush up to help, not really strategy at this point. Another thing is that when I do a problem wrong and then read the explanation and resolve it, I need maybe 5 more problems just like it to actually grasp it. Where do I find those problems? I have the official GMAT guide but that would take forever to list through it. I have also been debating weather to take a GMAT course like Knewton or Manhattan or something. And the last part of my problem is timeee, I need to retake this soon and get a good score. I am also one of those people that can read heavily for a short amount of time but not slowly over looong periods. I dont think that i need a lot of time cause I've been working on this for so long I just need to know exactly how to study or what to do. I feel as if there is some trick and I am completely missing it. I know i need to fix my math but hooowww? I need a MATH MIRACLE. :(

So overall my question is what should I do? Take a course? If so which one? Or should i stick to doing it alone, and if so what exactly should i be doing? What am I doing wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This post is kind of long but I wanted to explain the situation fully.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Trying to study and getting Nowhere [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 17:54
Easier said than done but math is all about practice:
Did you solve all math problems listed in mgmat books that refer to OG, did you identify your weak areas by keeping an error log, sometimes math theory becomes too boring, then problems is all we have to toughen up on math, excellent material is listed on best books thread, but if you got no time at least make sure you have solved all quant from all OG books, and mgmat (interesting exercises here)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1070

Kudos [?]: 4772 [0], given: 163

Re: Trying to study and getting Nowhere [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 18:33
Expert's post
Coconutshells wrote:
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and I was hoping someone might have some good advice for me. I took the GMAT in November and got a 540. My math was a dismal 28 but my verbal was in the 76th percentile so I am not too worried about that. The weird part was that all the practice tests I took before that gave me a math score of around 38, my verbal was always the weak part. My practice test scores always ranged in to 500's but again my verbal being the killer. So on the actual test day when my math completely dropped and my verbal skyrocketed I was amazed. I basically spent most of my time looking at the math because that has always been my week point. I spent maybe a week out of about 3 months on the verbal (really hardcore anyway). So anyway I am trying to retake the GMAT and get at least a 600 this time, however I am at a complete loss as to what to study or how this time. The first time I did all of the Manhatten GMAT books and now I have been trying to go over those again but its really not working, i make the same mistakes on the same questions. My practice tests aren't scoring any better either so I am at a loss of what to do. I am obviously doing something way wronng, but I don't know exactly what. I just ordered the MGMAT foundations of math book because I feel that i need some Basic math brush up to help, not really strategy at this point. Another thing is that when I do a problem wrong and then read the explanation and resolve it, I need maybe 5 more problems just like it to actually grasp it. Where do I find those problems? I have the official GMAT guide but that would take forever to list through it. I have also been debating weather to take a GMAT course like Knewton or Manhattan or something. And the last part of my problem is timeee, I need to retake this soon and get a good score. I am also one of those people that can read heavily for a short amount of time but not slowly over looong periods. I dont think that i need a lot of time cause I've been working on this for so long I just need to know exactly how to study or what to do. I feel as if there is some trick and I am completely missing it. I know i need to fix my math but hooowww? I need a MATH MIRACLE. :(

So overall my question is what should I do? Take a course? If so which one? Or should i stick to doing it alone, and if so what exactly should i be doing? What am I doing wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This post is kind of long but I wanted to explain the situation fully.

First and foremost, the question is not whether to study Quant or Verbal, but how to study both... Make sure you put in enough time and effort for both the sections... after all, they both carry equal weightage in the exam....
As for the Math Miracle, unfortunately, we don't have a magic wand yet... so you will need to start from the basics... do not underestimate the importance of basic fundamentals. Even though a GMAT question may not ask you to add two fractions, if you cannot add them, there will be many questions where you will not get the correct answer in spite of knowing the logic/approach. Work on the essentials first. Once you are comfortable, start working on GMAT relevant Quant topics... If you intend to join a class, make sure you first go through the basics (solving a quadratic, working with fractions, equations etc) to get maximum benefit out of the class... If time is less, you can consider private tutoring - someone to make you go through all basic concepts and then discuss higher level stuff... But remember, it doesn't matter whether you study on your own, take a class or hire a tutor, you will need to put in a lot of effort from your end to see improvement. GMAT tests your understanding so you cannot learn up stuff and ace it. You need to understand and practice the concepts.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Trying to study and getting Nowhere [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2011, 11:19
trying going through ron's videos on math, you mind find some useful --
http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays- ... loc=forums
Re: Trying to study and getting Nowhere   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2011, 11:19