Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 14:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 153
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 21

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 11:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
faro wrote:
chintamani wrote:
Thanks a lot for your response, faro.

Just noticed that despite a score of 730, you retook GMAT? Any specific reason why you did that?


A few different reasons. Here it is from my debrief, but the clincher was really the 80/80 rule:

1) I knew I could do better. My practice tests, taken after a long day at work, were consistently Q48-50. I didn't submit the last question on the actual GMAT, and I think that hurt me. If I had taken the test again immediately after, I probably would have done better on the quant part. The verbal was just above my practice ranges (~44).

2) I'd like to do consulting after my MBA. I came across information that firms look, not only at your total GMAT score, but also at your quantitative breakdown. I remember a specific article noting that quantitative scores correlate greatest with future success as a consultant, given the measure of your analytic abilities.

My 44 in quant is a 66th percentile. Not bad, but nothing special either. Especially if I'm shooting for top firms. If I was serious about consulting, I didn't want something that I can actively change be a hindrance. And if I'm going to retake for recruiting purposes anyway, I might as well have it benefit my bschool applications, too.

3) The 80/80 percentile rule. Admissions counselors gave me a "politically correct" answer when I asked whether they recommend retaking. I eventually came across the "80/80" rule that has been discussed here and there - that the top schools are looking for a minimum of 80th percentile on both the Quant AND Verbal section. This was corroborated by an admissions consultant who suggested I retake if I know I can bring that score up.

4) I'm "poor". I'm not only trying to get into a top school, but I'm also trying to get scholarships/fellowships/financial assistance there. Some scholarships and fellowships take GMAT score into consideration.

5) I wasn't alone. A friend of mine from undergrad took the GMATs for the first time a couple days after me. He got a 710 and was set on retaking. It was one of those situations where you're more likely to go to the gym if you have a friend going as well. We didn't take it together, but just having someone else going through the same thing helps. In fact, had it not been for him, I probably wouldn't have registered to retake in time since it wasn't high on my priority list.


I wish had your courage and fortitude (or a fellow friend re-taking the GMAT) so that I had re-taken the GMAT as well :| my GMAT score was just on the cusp of a good enough score that wouldn't warrant a re-take...

...and yet, it was only my 1st try. and my Quant percentile was low... 76%. I took it so early on too, back at the end of April! Now it's early July and I'm kicking myself for not having given it one more shot.
Maybe I should still take it? Sigh... tougher to say now, now that essay questions are being released across bschools...
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Decision Week!
Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 262
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 58

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 19:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
I've seen a few posts on this topic, so I thought I'd just provide LRW's view on visiting & applicant initiated interviews (just one gal's opinion).
So the rule of thumb is: if you want to go to Tuck, you have to visit.
I agree with this in principle, but I think there are some qualifiers here:
1. If you are international (certainly) or non-Northeast based (likely), I believe adcomm is more flexible in understanding if you're not able to visit Hanover in person, so long as you demonstrate your knowledge of Tuck's culture and your interest in the program and perform well on the skype interview.
2. Tuck wants you to visit not only to show you care, but also to make sure you really "get" the Tuck culture. It's not just another hoop to jump through. You might figure out that Hanover is just plain 'ole too small for you. Or you might figure out that you just gosh darn LOVE Tuckies (this was my experience).
3. It's a risky move, but you could decide to wait and see if Tuck invites you to interview. On the application, it asks when you have visited/will visit to interview. I left this blank and said (truthfully) that my crazy consultant travel schedule made getting to Hanover totally impossible before the deadline. A few weeks later I got an invitation to interview (and read this as a strong signal to get myself to Hanover). For me, this was sort of hedging. After the invite, I felt that Tuck was interested in me, and that it would be worth my time & miles to visit.
_________________

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Decision Week!
Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 262
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 58

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 19:57
1
This post received
KUDOS
faro wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
Question about possible the optional essay... I have an employment gap of around 6 months. I was laid off, and used that time for a huge road trip, moved across country, and tried to launch a startup that failed. This is the experience I plan on writing about in essay 3. Since I will be addressing it there, I shouldn't use the optional essay correct? I mean, for other schools I plan on pushing this to the optional, but essay 3 here seems perfect to fully explain my setback and failure during my layoff/employment gap/failed venture and how I grew.

I think I answered my own question... Thanks! Excited to get started.


There you go! Good luck :)

Your application is reviewed as a whole, so no need to be repetitive.

I agree with dear Faro 100% regarding repetition.
However - just a thought:
Of course I am lacking some context here (might want to do some searching on EssaySnark or HBSGuru), but I have heard some folks caution against using layoff stories as "setback" stories unless you have a real compelling learning to share. Sounds like you may be focusing more on the failed startup (and glossing over the layoff) as your essay example. I might suggest writing that essay without feeling boxed into having to explain the employment gap - as you have space in the optional essay if required. If it all works together into a beautiful story that also explains any resume gaps, fabulous! But don't feel like you MUST put it all together. A simple 2-3 sentences on the employment gap in the optional essay would be sufficient too, in my opinion.
_________________

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

1 KUDOS received
Kellogg Thread Master
User avatar
Status: Applying
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 109
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 65

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 03:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
In for November Round
_________________

All that matters, comes after the word 'but'.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Can't wait for August!
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 977
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [1] , given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 04:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
faro wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
Question about possible the optional essay... I have an employment gap of around 6 months. I was laid off, and used that time for a huge road trip, moved across country, and tried to launch a startup that failed. This is the experience I plan on writing about in essay 3. Since I will be addressing it there, I shouldn't use the optional essay correct? I mean, for other schools I plan on pushing this to the optional, but essay 3 here seems perfect to fully explain my setback and failure during my layoff/employment gap/failed venture and how I grew.

I think I answered my own question... Thanks! Excited to get started.


There you go! Good luck :)

Your application is reviewed as a whole, so no need to be repetitive.

I agree with dear Faro 100% regarding repetition.
However - just a thought:
Of course I am lacking some context here (might want to do some searching on EssaySnark or HBSGuru), but I have heard some folks caution against using layoff stories as "setback" stories unless you have a real compelling learning to share. Sounds like you may be focusing more on the failed startup (and glossing over the layoff) as your essay example. I might suggest writing that essay without feeling boxed into having to explain the employment gap - as you have space in the optional essay if required. If it all works together into a beautiful story that also explains any resume gaps, fabulous! But don't feel like you MUST put it all together. A simple 2-3 sentences on the employment gap in the optional essay would be sufficient too, in my opinion.



Thank you so much for the input! I'll wait until after I write the setback essay before deciding if I should add in an additional essay. I guess I have some more brainstorming before jumping into the setback.
1 KUDOS received
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 192
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 21:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
OjilEye wrote:

I wish had your courage and fortitude (or a fellow friend re-taking the GMAT) so that I had re-taken the GMAT as well :| my GMAT score was just on the cusp of a good enough score that wouldn't warrant a re-take...

...and yet, it was only my 1st try. and my Quant percentile was low... 76%. I took it so early on too, back at the end of April! Now it's early July and I'm kicking myself for not having given it one more shot.
Maybe I should still take it? Sigh... tougher to say now, now that essay questions are being released across bschools...


Honestly, if I had your breakdown, I would not have retaken the GMAT. A 730 is above the average at *every* bschool. My original quant was just so low in comparison to what I was getting in practice exams that I *knew* if I were to immediately retake the exam, I would have done better.

I wouldn't stress over it at this point, but it's your choice to make.
_________________

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2009
Posts: 3
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 09-29-2012
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 22:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
In for EA...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Poor but happy
Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Posts: 156
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 23:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in too for the EA. Just started writing essays and I'm suffering a serious case of writer's block :)
_________________

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: I will not be denied. Or waitlisted.
Joined: 20 Mar 2011
Posts: 80
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 64 [2] , given: 13

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 11:22
2
This post received
KUDOS
Reapplicant, back for EA!

Cheers,
WanderLust

I will not be denied. Or waitlisted.
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 192
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 14:11
MBAWanderlust wrote:
Reapplicant, back for EA!

Cheers,
WanderLust

I will not be denied. Or waitlisted.


Love the resilience - good luck!
_________________

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2010
Posts: 694
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 628

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 19:24
Prudence wrote:
I'm in too for the EA. Just started writing essays and I'm suffering a serious case of writer's block :)

I was in that exact spot last week. You'll power through! 8-)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Poor but happy
Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Posts: 156
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 23:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with Faro about the retake. I got a 710 with a Q44, and somehow it just didn't feel right. I felt like I was sitting on a fence, so I'm glad I re took it and ironed things out. Bottom line: If you have the time and you honestly feel that your score/breakdown was not an honest reflection of your ability, there's nothing stopping you from a retake.

Pru
_________________

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 11
Location: India
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 7

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 01:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
in for EA
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2011
Posts: 84
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 6

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 09:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
Prudence wrote:
I agree with Faro about the retake. I got a 710 with a Q44, and somehow it just didn't feel right. I felt like I was sitting on a fence, so I'm glad I re took it and ironed things out. Bottom line: If you have the time and you honestly feel that your score/breakdown was not an honest reflection of your ability, there's nothing stopping you from a retake.

Pru


Just to add to this point Tuck allows you to report up to two test scores. I only see this as advantageous to take it at least twice. You don't have to report both but a second score helps if one or both areas improve.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Poor but happy
Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Posts: 156
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 04:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
kingfalcon wrote:
Prudence wrote:
I'm in too for the EA. Just started writing essays and I'm suffering a serious case of writer's block :)

I was in that exact spot last week. You'll power through! 8-)


Thanks kingfalcon!
_________________

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 May 2011
Posts: 15
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
WE: Corporate Finance (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 10:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
Count me in. I am targeting the schools in Northeast regions like Sloan, Tuck and Stern.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 04:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

do you plan to combine the school visit and the interview in one single trip to Hanover? Any ideas on this?

Plus, any idea about the form of recommendation letter of the school?

Thanks!
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 192
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 09:18
JNC913 wrote:
Hey guys,

do you plan to combine the school visit and the interview in one single trip to Hanover? Any ideas on this?

Plus, any idea about the form of recommendation letter of the school?

Thanks!


I did this. I live on the West Coast so visiting multiple times wouldn't have been very easy. I would recommend scheduling the interview after everything else (classroom visit, lunch, Q&A, etc) so you can speak to things from your visit. Keep in mind that many of the questions will be similar to the essay questions, so be sure to have a general idea of what you're going to write about.

I'm not sure if they compare what you say in the interview with what you ultimately submit in your application, but I interviewed in November and was planning to submit my app in January. So when I sat there and got a career goals type question, I froze for a moment and realized, "Uh oh, my story better match up even though I haven't even started working on my essays yet."

The remaining questions are pretty behavioral and the interviewer tries to set you at ease from the very beginning. It is pretty conversational and is a good opportunity for you to get to know the type of students at Tuck. Then you can use information from the visit/interview in your application.

Not sure about the recommendations, so I'll let someone else speak to that.

Good luck!
_________________

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 15:30
faro wrote:
JNC913 wrote:
Hey guys,

do you plan to combine the school visit and the interview in one single trip to Hanover? Any ideas on this?

Plus, any idea about the form of recommendation letter of the school?

Thanks!


I did this. I live on the West Coast so visiting multiple times wouldn't have been very easy. I would recommend scheduling the interview after everything else (classroom visit, lunch, Q&A, etc) so you can speak to things from your visit. Keep in mind that many of the questions will be similar to the essay questions, so be sure to have a general idea of what you're going to write about.

I'm not sure if they compare what you say in the interview with what you ultimately submit in your application, but I interviewed in November and was planning to submit my app in January. So when I sat there and got a career goals type question, I froze for a moment and realized, "Uh oh, my story better match up even though I haven't even started working on my essays yet."

The remaining questions are pretty behavioral and the interviewer tries to set you at ease from the very beginning. It is pretty conversational and is a good opportunity for you to get to know the type of students at Tuck. Then you can use information from the visit/interview in your application.

Not sure about the recommendations, so I'll let someone else speak to that.

Good luck!



Thanks for the reply Faro. So you were saying that we don't have to submit the app before going for the interview? My thought was that I would have to submit everything prior to my interview so that the school would be able to evaluate me and ask questions in a more specific way. Does the school allow both ways of submitting?
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 192
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 15:36
JNC913 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Faro. So you were saying that we don't have to submit the app before going for the interview? My thought was that I would have to submit everything prior to my interview so that the school would be able to evaluate me and ask questions in a more specific way. Does the school allow both ways of submitting?


Yep, you can go both ways on it. In fact, when I asked if there is any harm in doing the interview prior to submitting, they mentioned that I could use experiences from my visit in my application.

The interviews are done by 2nd year students who don't see anything but your resume that you submit beforehand. So all you need to have ready is your resume. But even with that things can change - in the 2 months between my interview and when I submitted my app, I had additional accomplishments at work to include.

Hope this helps.
_________________

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2012, 15:36
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
627 Experts publish their posts in the topic Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! GrantMeAdmission 1556 21 Apr 2013, 08:49
186 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants shalva 2121 22 Jun 2010, 08:49
364 Experts publish their posts in the topic Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants theK 1187 26 Jun 2012, 10:27
33 Experts publish their posts in the topic Tuck (Dartmouth) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants aerien 179 25 Dec 2012, 05:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  60    Next  [ 1188 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.