Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 20:19
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
ifif2012 wrote:
Waitlisted. any idea how many of us there are and what our chances are?

5 of my favorite tuckies are WLers. It happens. Hold tight! You're in better (comparative) shape because you were an EA waitlist.

Do you happen to know when they got off the waitlist?

The thing I'm most disappointed about is that I won't get to go to ASW even if picked up after April 21. :(

Also, I'm sure this kills any chances of living on-campus during the first year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Last edited by CobraKai on 15 Dec 2012, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 01:29
Waitlisted. Does anyone have any indication how many and when (March vs July) ppl move off the wait list? Agree with @CobraKai, bummed about ASW. And applying for financial aid.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 09:24
The last few years the Tuck waitlist seems to have had VERY little movement. From being on the extended waitlist last year, it sounded like only a handful were accepted from the waitlist. You never know though as Tuck may be tweaking admissions to make the waitlist more relevant. Getting on the waitlist means you are competitive though so hang in there!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 10:08
Can anyone comment how much scholarship $$ they received?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.71
WE: Asset Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 10:13
Waitlisted

Stats:

Re-applicant
Ungergrad: Average State School
GMAT: 720
GPA: 3.7
WE(@ Matriculation): 5 Years WE @ Large Bank / Private Equity Accounting
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 13

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 11:03
andrew10987 wrote:
The last few years the Tuck waitlist seems to have had VERY little movement. From being on the extended waitlist last year, it sounded like only a handful were accepted from the waitlist. You never know though as Tuck may be tweaking admissions to make the waitlist more relevant. Getting on the waitlist means you are competitive though so hang in there!

True that. I spoke with Allegra during one of the Tuck Admissions Receptions in India, and she mentioned that last year, almost everyone was released from the waitlist...
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 11:14
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
ifif2012 wrote:
Waitlisted. any idea how many of us there are and what our chances are?

5 of my favorite tuckies are WLers. It happens. Hold tight! You're in better (comparative) shape because you were an EA waitlist.

Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement :)
Current Student
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 3.93
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 00:51
Congrats to everyone who got in! Hopefully I'll meet some of you at admitted students weekend.

To those on the waitlist - I know your pain. Just hang in there.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 20:32
Hey yall,

I already submitted my app and chose to include an optional essay. I'm simply curious about everyone's perspective on this part of the optional essay: "Complete this question only if you feel your candidacy is not fully represented by this application".

I read this as: If you feel like you haven't told the whole story, fill in the gaps here. Many admissions advice services strictly recommend against answering this question unless there is an obvious flaw in the app, but not many optional essay prompts are worded this way.

Any thoughts? Just trying to pass the time til decision date :P

-BC
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 21:24
What did you write about? I tend to agree with the consultants, unless you have an obvious flaw to address I would leave it blank. If there is something so important about yourself that you absolutely must tell them admissions committee you should try to work it into one of the other essays. I never applied to Tuck so maybe others will disagree with me but personally I wouldn't have done it.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 23:33
In my opinion, if you have a good reaon for writing the optional essay (and you should explain it clearly) you should do it, they just don't want candidates to use it as an additional long essay and give them more work.
Current Student

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 04:02
mappleby wrote:
What did you write about?

I wrote about the stark difference between my undergraduate major and my work experience; it was something that I had left unexplained in the rest of my app, and the essay fit quite well with the rest of them, and was unique to Tuck.

Anyone else write optional essays that weren't necessarily explaining a flaw, but instead rounding out an app?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 05:34
At Wharton I read thousands of additional information essays and most were not needed and actually detracted from the effectiveness of the overall application. I would read what was presented and ask why did they need to volunteer this information? In your case, I would have read what you presented and concluded the same thing - a lot of candidates have this disconnect and admissions is smart enough to fill in the blanks. In fact, a high proportion of candidates work in industries that do not relate to their undergraduate studies. This is particularly true if you studied at a liberal arts college.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 07:58
I spoke to a member of the Tuck adcom at an information session and she emphasized that the optional essay should only be used to explain exceptional circumstances and should not really be used to round out the application.
Current Student

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 08:27
Thanks for the insights, everyone! :)

I guess we'll find out in a couple of months if I was right or wrong :wink:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q44 V49
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 4

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 19:44
This post received
KUDOS
kschloesser wrote:
Waitlisted. Does anyone have any indication how many and when (March vs July) ppl move off the wait list? Agree with @CobraKai, bummed about ASW. And applying for financial aid.

Make sure to apply for financial aid in time. I was accepted off WL last year with scholarship money.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q40 V46

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 22:08
mappleby wrote:
What did you write about? .

I used my optional essay to briefly explain why I could not have my current manager write a recc (I was applying in confidence). Both Stanford and Tuck admissions staff (@ panel discussions) recommended using the optional essay to write a few sentences explaining the omission of a current manager recc. Obviously a bit of a unique circumstance, but that is what I used it for.
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 05:12
Accepted at Kellogg, wait listed by Tuck.. tough decision ahead on whether to stick on the WL.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 06:07
bosox8 wrote:
Accepted at Kellogg, wait listed by Tuck.. tough decision ahead on whether to stick on the WL.

Congrats! It's good to have options. Kellogg dinged me so it made my decision to stay on the WL a no-brainer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 06:12
bosox8 wrote:

congratulations :) amazing programs.

I don't think it is much of a decision (compared with acceptance at both! ). If I were in your position, I'd wait till I get an acceptance at Tuck and then decide or just hang on without pulling off from the WL. Till then, I'd figure what both places offer.

good luck with the decision.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2012, 06:12