Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 00:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2014, 11:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Thanks on Valentines

Why do you want to come to Tuck? Tight knit community,  winter wonderland (main image), fancy being in woods, awesome educational experience, great prospects… and?

And...let me tell you a small story.

Feb 13th: First thing I noticed in the morning was that I lost one of my gold ear rings. I searched my room, told a friend and uploaded a photo on T14.5 Facebook group. Some said sorry, some said they will let me know if they find it. I wasn’t sure where I lost it. So, gave up my search. 

Feb 14th: I was walking back to my dorm room after lunch, when I saw a tiny shiny thing on the wooden shelf at the entrance of Raether hall (It’s usually a busy, hangout place in our dorm).  From a distance, the shiny thing looked like a finger ring. I let my imagination flow – someone was probably planning on an elaborate proposal and I shouldn’t meddle with their script. However, curiosity took over and I went to check it. Surprise! That was my ear ring!!

I will spare you all the silly first thoughts I had at that moment. But I didn’t know if I should believe in what I was seeing. I don’t know who kept the ring there – could have been cleaning staff, a student or someone else. Whoever it is, THANK YOU!

Most importantly, I realized I should be grateful and not be surprised. Why?

Honesty, integrity and ethics – these are the values imbedded deep in the fabric of Tuck community - students, professors, staff and everyone. We live by these values and make no exceptions.

I don’t know if this would be a similar story in some other place. I do know that it happens this way at Tuck. This is just a small example. I have had other expereinces, and heard more stories from other friends.

Such experiences define our life at Tuck, and make us who we are. These values take us forward, help us make the right decisions and in the process - be responsible citizens and responsible leaders.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2014, 20:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: The importance of time management at Tuck
I just realized that I haven't blogged here for over 3 months! There's a deeper meaning here - the 'just realized' loops back to the fact that time passes by incredibly fast here at Tuck. I recall thinking many times in class each day that I will go back to my room and blog. However, I never got around to it. Most of my time in the fall term was devoted to recruiting. Tuck promises an immersive experience and even in the aspect of recruiting that promise holds.

I was speaking with a friend and he asked me what I did today. My answer was 'nothing' - and that's literally what I did today. It snowed really heavily last night and I think there's about 2 feet of snow on the ground right now. A perfect day to laze around in PJs catching up on movies, sitcoms and what not. However, nostalgia struck me and I took a trip back in time by looking at my calendar in November. There's barely any empty space in my schedule there. Of course now, having gone through the recruiting process, I can quickly recall each of those meetings but as I went through each day and what I did, I never realized how busy I had been.

And as I come back to the present, I realized how quickly Fall gave way to Winter. The magnificent fall colors on trees gave way to just the white all around.  Capital Markets became Corporate Finance. Networking with firms turned to interviewing and finally to offers. The purpose of my blog post is primarily to advise incoming T16s on the value of time. I've been in Hanover for over 6 months now but it seems like I arrived only yesterday. This will be the most cliched and overused sentence you will hear during your time at Tuck. But nothing else will be as true. Why am I stressing on this so much? Mainly because there's so much to do here that you can fall into the trap of non prioritization. 

A very rational way of looking at life at Tuck is to segment your time here in three buckets - professional (aka recruiting), social (aka partying), and academic (aka studying). That was the priority set I abided by - the key word being abided. If there was ever a conflict in what I wanted to do, i went back to this priority chart and made my decision. However, this prioritization is dynamic - for example, now that recruiting is over, I'd like to take social to the top of my order set, followed by academic, followed by professional. Once I'm back after my summer internship, it will probably be social, professional (aka helping T16s prep for interviews), and then academic.

I highly recommend that once you've settled in at Tuck, you quickly start prioritizing. Time flies by and you don't want to be in a situation where you do not know what to do. While it may seem obvious that recruiting would be on top of everyone's priority list, it isn't the case. Priorities vary person to person and someone may just wish to recruit properly full time versus investing heavily in the internship search. 

So make your decision early as it'll help in making life more streamlined. And of course, if you seek any help, all of us T15s are always ready to help. Until the next post ...
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 03:25
need urgent advice:
I'm applying Tuck this year but just found I'm pregnant. If enrolled, I'll give birth in late September when school just starts. What are my choices?
Will Tuck allow me to defer one year in such circumstances?
If not, will Tuck allow me to enroll with pregnancy?
Current Student
GRE 1: 337 Q170 V167
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 06:06
FWIW, when I was on campus my interviewer told me a story about a married couple, both at Tuck, who had a child during the school year. I had asked a question about Tuck partners, etc. From what I can tell, Tuck is pretty flexible with regards to family arrangements like yours.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '16, CBS '16

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 07:34
Mylittlesecret -- I'm guessing you're not from the USA, because laws are pretty good about protecting pregnant women from discrimination. That said, the first semester at Tuck is notoriously fast-paced, so I hope you have a partner who's willing to help out in a massive way.
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 09:53
mylittlesecret wrote:
need urgent advice:
I'm applying Tuck this year but just found I'm pregnant. If enrolled, I'll give birth in late September when school just starts. What are my choices?
Will Tuck allow me to defer one year in such circumsc?
If not, will Tuck allo me to enroll with pregnancy?

Tuck should definitely allow you to defer in this situation. Just let them know ASAP. It may be difficult to keep up with the workload during pregnancy/with a newborn.

I'm assuming you have been admitted?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 12:11
Thanks for all the replies! Yes I am international. Guess I need to talk with different parties to make a decision.
8 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [8] , given: 14

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 05:32
This post received
KUDOS
There have been pregnant Tuckies. A T14 gave birth this year. There have been single mothers at Tuck with no family here to help. If you get in, Tuck will take care of you. It's what we do. We're family.

I'm just a student and I can't speak for the adcom about deferments, but I have a hard time believing that they'd deny a deferment to you over something like that. If you chose to come while pregnant, I think Sally Jaeger and the rest of the MBAPO would probably be eager to help you figure out how to manage it all. Besides, your baby will probably be the first TinyTuckie from your class. Everyone would be very excited!

This is a joyous time! Congratulations!

mylittlesecret wrote:
need urgent advice:
Will Tuck allow me to defer one year in such circumstances?
If not, will Tuck allow me to enroll with pregnancy?
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 06:47
Any news for Jan round applicants?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Darden - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.49

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 06:52
spikey07 wrote:

I don't think there will be any news until 13 or 14 of March! Still a long wait :lol:
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 07:03
Tgt wrote:
spikey07 wrote:

I don't think there will be any news until 13 or 14 of March! Still a long wait :lol:

I havent even received an interview invite..too late for that now I guess :(
Current Student

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 11:38
Waiting, waiting, waiting...

Posted from my mobile device Image
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 57 [2] , given: 14

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 12:08
This post received
KUDOS
Because Tuck has an open interview policy and everyone who comes on campus is interviewed, very few people are ever invited to interview. There is absolutely nothing you can really read into this other than demographics about GMATclub forum users in different rounds.

-Current T'15, but not speaking for the AdCom

forfuture wrote:
Vroom wrote:
pirimidin1 wrote:
Has anyone received the interview invitation for Jan round?

Even I have asked the same question on the forum a few days back!! No one seems to be responding, so I am hoping that there still time!

Which country are you from?

I think class 2016 might be almost full, because there are very few interview invitations for Jan Round, based on my personal observations on the forum.
4 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 57 [4] , given: 14

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 13:11
This post received
KUDOS
Housing at Tuck
There is a lot of housing within walking distance of Tuck. Some of it allows pets and some don't. In general, housing is in limited supply and rents are higher than you might expect. Be careful of what utilities are included in the rental price. Heating can be expensive in the winter. Most good apartments are passed down from one Tuckie to another (saving landlords a ton of work and keeping the good ones "in the family"). This means they almost never actually get officially posted anywhere online except for an internal Google doc (Google docs run the Tuck social life - I'm sure there will be one again this year). There will be housing tours at ASW. You can get a feel for the different options then.

As a current student with a partner and two cats, we found it easiest to locate a place in Sachem. We pay $1525 + $50 pet fee for a 2 bedroom / 1 bath end unit. You can pay more or less depending on unit. All utilities are included except electricity and our place is not heated by electricity. Living in Sachem, I actually get door to door drop off service in the Winter. If I lived off campus in town, I'd need to walk or take the in-town bus (this one runs every 10 min) during the Winter. I prefer the door to door. :)

Feel free to ask me anything about coming to Tuck with a partner, living with Sachem, or any other burning questions about student life you have. I am a female student with a male partner living full time in Hanover. Tuck helped him find a job and he now works for the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth. We have no children, but Sachem is full of them. I definitely recommend Sachem to anyone with children.

F.A.Q.
What is Sachem?
A Dartmouth grad housing community for students with partners and children. It is the second largest concentration of Tuckies outside of the dorms.

Is Sachem walking distance?
No.

Is there a bus?
Yes, but only runs once an hour.

Do you ever take that bus?
Almost never.

Does this seem to be a problem?
Not even a little bit. We even share 1 car among the two of us. Sachem is 50-60% Tuck. You can literally just stand on the main road with your thumb out to hitch a ride to school at almost any time of day. Ride shares for getting to school in the morning and coming back at night are routine. There is also a dedicated Facebook group called Sachem Rides. Tuck is a 5-10 min drive from Sachem depending on traffic/route.

-Current T'15

View from our front porch after last week's snow storm:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzDcuhSRuHCIQjNRaHh0OWpTOFE/edit?usp=sharing-download_20140219_154122.jpg

senyi wrote:
DefyingGravity wrote:
Random question. Are any current Tuck students active on this thread? If so, can anyone tell me if there is housing close to Tuck (within 10 minutes walking distance) that would allow me to have a pet?

Someone asked a similar question in today's Chat with Tuck. Sachem Village if I remember correctly.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q42 V49
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 13:16
spikey07 wrote:
Tgt wrote:
spikey07 wrote:

I havent even received an interview invite..too late for that now I guess :(

Are all of the people asking about interview invites internationals who couldn't afford the time/money to visit the campus?

EDIT: (This is an honest question, I'm not trying to be a dick. I was just surprised to see people expecting interview invites when the school gives them to everyone who applies.)
Manager
Manager

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 19:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: How do YOU de-stress?
Today some students found their happy in the company of furry friends!

Organized by the MBAPO (MBA Program Office) and Tuck's Quality of Life Chair, we had a room full of Tuck dogs ready and willing to play, cuddle, kiss, nuzzle, and take away ALL the anxiety that can come with being a busy student at a top business school.  Leave it to Tuck to come up with such a brilliant idea!

Numerous studies show that pets and therapy animals can help reduce stress in humans.  The below picture is just a small sample of the pups that helped raise everyone's spirits this afternoon at Tuck.  What a great day!

Current Student

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 01:29
hollaback wrote:

Are all of the people asking about interview invites internationals who couldn't afford the time/money to visit the campus?

EDIT: (This is an honest question, I'm not trying to be a dick. I was just surprised to see people expecting interview invites when the school gives them to everyone who applies.)

Quite possibly. I imagine the time/cost can make it prohibitive for most internationals.

I am an international but I interviewed on campus :-D I wanted to do everything I possibly could to improve my candidacy at Tuck as it's the only school I really, really, REALLY want to attend. I think I will be devastated if Tuck rejects me.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Darden - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.49

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 04:29
bschoolaspirant9 wrote:
hollaback wrote:

Quite possibly. I imagine the time/cost can make it prohibitive for most internationals.

I am an international but I interviewed on campus :-D I wanted to do everything I possibly could to improve my candidacy at Tuck as it's the only school I really, really, REALLY want to attend. I think I will be devastated if Tuck rejects me.

Actually you're probably closer than many US applicants :D
Manager
Manager

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 13:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Ask Dawna - Which round should I apply in?
We're often asked which application round will maximize a candidate’s chance at admission. Tuck doesn’t designate a specific number of offers to each round, but rather bases offers on the quality and quantity of the applicant pool during that particular round. Though April is a bit more competitive since many spots in the class are full, we try to be equitable throughout. On that note, it’s best to apply with the strongest application possible, whether that means shooting for Early Action or April.

Bottom line, a strong application will stand out regardless of the round you apply in. Good luck as your prepare your applications – we look forward to reading them!

Our next application deadline is April 2, 2014

Current Student
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 23:40
hollaback wrote:

Most probably. I couldn't make it up to Hanover from India for the applicant-initiated interview. Luckily, I was given a chance to interview on Skype and am joining Tuck this fall.
I would assume all US applicants would be expected to take advantage of the open-interview policy (I thought Tuck was much more vocal about this than Duke or Kellogg).

In hindsight though, I wish I had visited!
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2014, 23:40