Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 130 [2] , given: 134

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 15:11
This post received
KUDOS
Tuck 2014 (T'16) Waitlist
Last Updated: 12/19/13
Post in the thread to be added to the roll call

WAITLIST RESOURCES

newsTuck wrote:
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Waitlist Advice
Getting on the waitlist isn’t the news you wanted. We know. Although it may not seem like it, getting onto the waitlist indicates we saw many strengths in your application. There are silver linings in this cloud! While on the waitlist, consider some ways to prepare yourself for business school or another year of work before you start graduate school.

First, take a deep breath. Do something healthy for yourself. Spend time with family and friends, go for a run, or do whatever you do to decompress. Good decisions about future paths are rarely made when you’re under stress or feel anxious. Release some of those anxieties and put your efforts into building a wise strategy for moving forward.

Second, follow the instructions. Your decision letter lets you know what you need to do next. You’ll need to decide whether or not you want to remain on the waitlist. If you choose to remain on the waitlist, an Admissions Officer will be in touch before March 3, 2014, to let you know if there are any steps you can take to enhance your application.

This is a good time to look back on your application and decide for yourself what your strengths and weaknesses are. An honest assessment of what you could improve is a great opportunity for you to come up a game plan. Maybe you think you could score higher on your GMAT, or you realize your goals or your rationale for your MBA weren’t clear. Perhaps you can take on new challenges or stretch yourself more at work or in your community life. That insight can help you take proactive steps now, without waiting for feedback from us.

Third, trust the process. We know being in limbo is challenging. We work hard to make the waitlist process as informative and clear as possible. If we need something from you, we will let you know. Update us with important information such as promotions or new test scores. There’s no need to make surprise visits to campus or stay in constant contact. Keep in mind how you handle yourself on the waitlist also gives us an idea of how you will handle yourself as a student. You can help your candidacy by maintaining your professionalism and checking in every once in a while.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

WAITLIST EXPERIENCES

gjm8q wrote:
Hi all - Best of luck with the WL process. As a current Tuckie who came off the WL, I know your pain. It's definitely not a fun wait. I'm sure you have or are going to scour past WL Tuck threads - and the plentiful advice re: 'How to get off the WL' on a ton of different websites, so I thought I might sum up some general thoughts/advice:

1. Don't feel the need to contact AdCom unless there is a major event that'll add immensely to your candidacy. Between my WL e-mail and the acceptance call, the only action I took was to confirm that I wanted to remain on the WL. There's more likely downside rather than upside if you pester AdCom regarding your status, feedback, and so on. Don't worry if AdCom is radio silent, they haven't just forgotten about you. And even if they say feedback will be given in Feb, don't be surprised if it happens later. At most, 1

2. Most people get off the WL around May onwards. I may have been one of the few exceptions that found out earlier (I applied EA and got an acceptance the day before January Round calls went out in March) and I think the latest I heard was in July (August is a major stretch). Ding letters will be sent on an ongoing basis. Eventually there'll be a "reduced waitlist" but in the end, you should get official notification of accept or ding.

3. Don't be surprised if you get feedback that amounts to "There's nothing really that you can change." Why does this happen? Basically, you're potentially good enough to be accepted / fit Tuck's profile. However, it's likely that there are admits who have a very similar profile to you but unfortunately are just a tad better. There's nothing you can really do because, unless those kind of people accept elsewhere, you're unlikely to get off the WL. The whole admissions process is crafting a class that represents a broad range of personal and professional backgrounds, experiences, and career interests. For that reason, it's not as if Tuck has a ranked WL. If you do get more pointed feedback from WL, it's likely that you could do something, like raise your GMAT score, to actually boost your profile. Specifically in the case of GMAT, b-schools are graded or looked at based on a range of criteria, one often being average GMAT score - if yours is too low, you're bringing down the average and potentially ranking of Tuck. I think you're much more likely to get more in depth feedback once you request feedback post-ding.

Just my two cents / opinion (who REALLY knows what goes on in the minds of AdCom, after all...).

After reading the above, I'm not sure if it'll make you more informed, depressed, or a combination thereof. Stay strong!
hkl201 wrote:
Area of interest: Consulting
GMAT: 760
GPA: 3.5
Work Experience: 3 years in investment management
Extracurriculars: Athletics; auxiliary teams at work
WL admission: 5/4/13
WL strategy: Tuck offered feedback on waitlisted applications later (late March); feedback is often something along the lines of greater work experience, higher GMAT, more involvement, etc. My feedback was that there was no particular element holding my application, but they needed more time (which can be frustrating to hear!). I thanked them very much and included a brief paragraph explaining why Tuck was the best school for me.

Later, I learned that applications were very high in the early round and admissions was worried about a corresponding spike in yield so they used the waitlist to see how the rest of the applicant pool looked and where their yield went.

WAITLIST ROLL CALL
Please let us know if you decide to go to another school and we will mark it accordingly
(For reference, last year's thread: http://gmatclub.com/forum/tuck-dartmouth-2013-calling-all-waitlisted-applicants-144692.html)

NOTE :- The above list updates automatically as and when applicants update their application Status. If your name does not appear in the list, please check and update your application status or post in this thread.

Here is the Waitlist chat transcript from Feb 4th Chat with students from Booth, Johnson, and Yale

Attachment:
WL Chat Transcript dtd 04.02.2014.pdf [555.69 KiB]
Downloaded 23 times
To download please login or register as a user

Here is a recording of the webinar:

Latest Blog Posts (Updated August 27)*
- What MBA Blogs does an MBA Blogger read?
- Introducing TheEngineerMBA

Check it out at http://grantmeadmission.com/

-------------------
Check out my GMAT guide: "How I got a 710 on my first try"
57 essay analyses available here: http://grantmeadmission.com/essay-analysis/

Last edited by Narenn on 06 Feb 2014, 09:13, edited 18 times in total.
Little Addition
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 15:50
Well, I'd just like to say hi to all my fellow T'16 waitlisted applicants, really hope the best for all of you (and of course, to myself), and am looking forward to meeting you if not this year, the next in Tuck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 18:30
Waitlisted as well and good luck to us all!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 2: 740 Q41 V50

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 20:45
gbrooks6687 wrote:
Tuck 2013 Waitlist
Post in the thread to be added to the roll call

Early Action
gbrooks6687

Add me to the list please...
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q44 V49
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 18 [5] , given: 4

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 00:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all - Best of luck with the WL process. As a current Tuckie who came off the WL, I know your pain. It's definitely not a fun wait. I'm sure you have or are going to scour past WL Tuck threads - and the plentiful advice re: 'How to get off the WL' on a ton of different websites, so I thought I might sum up some general thoughts/advice:

1. Don't feel the need to contact AdCom unless there is a major event that'll add immensely to your candidacy. Between my WL e-mail and the acceptance call, the only action I took was to confirm that I wanted to remain on the WL. There's more likely downside rather than upside if you pester AdCom regarding your status, feedback, and so on. Don't worry if AdCom is radio silent, they haven't just forgotten about you. And even if they say feedback will be given in Feb, don't be surprised if it happens later.

2. Most people get off the WL around May onwards. I may have been one of the few exceptions that found out earlier (I applied EA and got an acceptance the day before January Round calls went out in March) and I think the latest I heard was in July (August is a major stretch). Ding letters will be sent on an ongoing basis. Eventually there'll be a "reduced waitlist" but in the end, you should get official notification of accept or ding.

3. Don't be surprised if you get feedback that amounts to "There's nothing really that you can change." Why does this happen? Basically, you're potentially good enough to be accepted / fit Tuck's profile. However, it's likely that there are admits who have a very similar profile to you but unfortunately are just a tad better. There's nothing you can really do because, unless those kind of people accept elsewhere, you're unlikely to get off the WL. The whole admissions process is crafting a class that represents a broad range of personal and professional backgrounds, experiences, and career interests. For that reason, it's not as if Tuck has a ranked WL. If you do get more pointed feedback from WL, it's likely that you could do something, like raise your GMAT score, to actually boost your profile. Specifically in the case of GMAT, b-schools are graded or looked at based on a range of criteria, one often being average GMAT score - if yours is too low, you're bringing down the average and potentially ranking of Tuck. I think you're much more likely to get more in depth feedback once you request feedback post-ding.

Just my two cents / opinion (who REALLY knows what goes on in the minds of AdCom, after all...).

After reading the above, I'm not sure if it'll make you more informed, depressed, or a combination thereof. Stay strong!

Last edited by gjm8q on 19 Dec 2013, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 03:16
Also waitlisted here...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 06:17
another waitlistee here

I just sent back a reply email confirming my place on the waitlist and got an automatic reply saying to confirm my place within two weeks. Is my first email enough?

trying to decide whether to try other schools round 2 or just to wait it out with tuck/reapply next year if it doesnt work out
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 07:30
Add me to this crew.. Any downside to joining the WL even if you are considering other options?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 07:45
sae160 wrote:
Add me to this crew.. Any downside to joining the WL even if you are considering other options?

Not really, but if you decide in the end to attend another school regardless of the WL final decision you should let Tuck know so they stop considering you.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
gjm8q wrote:

1. Don't feel the need to contact AdCom unless there is a major event that'll add immensely to your candidacy. Between my WL e-mail and the acceptance call, the only action I took was to confirm that I wanted to remain on the WL. There's more likely downside rather than upside if you pester AdCom regarding your status, feedback, and so on. Don't worry if AdCom is radio silent, they haven't just forgotten about you. And even if they say feedback will be given in Feb, don't be surprised if it happens later. At most, 1

I'm not sure if you can answer this question, but here it is regardless: if there's something to add to my application, should I wait until the admission committee gets back at me or should I send it as soon as possible?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 10:17
add me to the list!
Intern
Intern

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 06:03
Is writing to AO for some updates a good strategy? (new project, leadership experiences.. etc.)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q44 V49

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 4

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
Chmeva wrote:
gjm8q wrote:

I'm not sure if you can answer this question, but here it is regardless: if there's something to add to my application, should I wait until the admission committee gets back at me or should I send it as soon as possible?

Can't really answer your question on timing, but in general I'd recommend waiting until you have something substantial to give to AdCom - whenever that is. I think this is somewhere in Dawna's advice/blog, but you should reflect on your own application and think about the weak points. If it's test scores, take the GMAT now (even if AdCom hasn't given you feedback now). It may be harder to identify things in your overall application along the lines of leadership for MBA/Tuck story. But if you feel that there are developments since you've submitted your application that balance out weaknesses, then sure, go ahead and contact AdCom. But again, be mindful of the quality and quantity of those touch points.

End of the day, before you submit anything to AdCom, just really think if what you're submitting is actually adding something substantial to your overall application that will really give AdCom a reason to think of converting you to an admit. As an example, one may think that a job promotion is a good item to update AdCom about - but if you're still doing the same work with relatively the same level of leadership and responsibility, then (in my opinion) that promotion isn't really something AdCom would see and thus think better of one's application.

Last note, be mindful of the overall calendar. This goes back to my comment about quantity/quality of touch points, but AdCom is amazingly busy. Imagine, in January, they're still going through the November round applications. January round applications just wrapped up, so those get thrown into the bunch. And there's still a ton of people interviewing. So if you're contacting them about WL / your application, especially before they've gotten back to you with anything re: feedback or whatnot, you should have a really good reason behind contacting them.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 130 [1] , given: 134

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Everyone!

Hope you had a GREAT holiday. I polled all the successful Tuck EA Applicants and many were willing to share their profiles publicly (Thank you very much).
Here are the results:

Successful T' 16 Profiles (current year successes):

(these are permanently added to the first post of the main thread)
KMD10 wrote:
KMD10's ProfileArea of Interest in MBA: Undecided, maybe Marketing
GMAT: 730
GPA: 3.5, Economics/Psychology Double Major (top 5 Liberal Arts College)
Work Experience: 3 yrs in Investment Management
Extra-curriculars/community: Nothing particularly notable since college, Major Undergrad Involvement: Swimming (4-year Varsity member, Varsity Captain, DIII All-American)
BackToTheEastCoast wrote:
BackToTheEastCoast's Profile
Area of Interest in MBA: Healthcare Consulting
GMAT: 640 (I'm an awful standardized test taker so made sure other parts of my application made up for it; also 6/6 on writing and 7/8 on IR)
GPA: 3.78 (Masters degree from a top 5 program)
Work Experience: 7.5 yrs in healthcare (private sector and currently government)
Extra-curriculars/community: active in my undergrad, grad school, and sorority alumni associations; volunteer at soup kitchen, other ad hoc volunteer projects
Other Notable: already have a masters degree, returning for a second...
tripsd wrote:
tripsd's Profile
Area of Interest in MBA: Consulting
GPA: 3.67
Work Experience: 3 yrs in educational start up
Extra-curriculars/community: Heavy involvement in cancer nonprofits. Several different organizations and several different roles. Also some community athletics
Other Notable - I think the difference for me was making an effort to get to know the school and students. Connecting with students with a similar profile made me able to write essays that really spoke about why I would benefit from Tuck and how I could contribute (At least this is my take away). Also tons of constant self reflection on my goals, tons of edits on the essays, and hours of practice on the interviews allowed my strengths come through
MUJIzz wrote:
MUJIzz’s Profile
Area of Interest in MBA: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
Work Experience: 2.5 yrs in management consulting
Extra-curriculars/community: limited
DG89 wrote:
DG89's Profile
Area of Interest in MBA: General Management
GMAT: 760 (Q50 V42)
Work Experience: 4+ yrs in 2014 - evenly split between strategy research and corporate strategy
Extra-curriculars/community: Decent - active involvement in competitive sports, volunteer work, adventure sports enthusiast
Others - Off-degree academic pursuits, including CFA, other Indian finance certifications, and online competitive strategy courses
iluebe wrote:
iluebe’s Profile
Area of Interest in MBA: Operations & Strategy
GMAT: 690
GPA: 3.2
Work Experience: 6 yrs in 2014
Extra-curriculars/community: Volunteer for a NGO; back to school program for disadvantaged kids.
Other Notable: Coach/Player for my college soccer team, Leadership award at work (2012)
godlovesemily wrote:
godlovesemily's Profile
Area of Interest in MBA: Operation
GPA: 3.6
Work Experience: 3 yrs in supply chain
Extra-curriculars/community: Several, not too many

Have some global exposure through undergraduate exchange and business trip. Liberal arts major (Spanish). I'm also a CouchSurfer practitioner and I mentioned it in the interview, and AO seemed quite interested in this and let me explain my experience.
mangaka wrote:
mangaka's Profile
Area of Interest in MBA: Private Equity/Venture Capital
GPA: 3.31
Work Experience: 4 yrs in Banking
Extra-curriculars/community: board member of a non profit corporation
Other Notable
grotten wrote:
grotten's Profile
Area of Interest in MBA: General Mgm - energy orientated
GMAT: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: International GPA scale 7.5/10
Work Experience: 5 years experience as a project mgr (last 3 yrs in a mayor US oil and gas corp.) Work last 2 years in an oil field in South America - Remote location.
Extra-curriculars/community: nothing really interesting/relevant
greenam wrote:
greenam's Profile
Area of Interest in MBA: Telecom
GMAT: 700
GPA: 3.6 from UPenn with extra distinction in my major (dean's list last two years)
Work Experience: 6 yrs in the USMC
Extra-curriculars/community:
milapp wrote:
milapp's Profile
Area of Interest in MBA: General Management / Marketing Strategy
GMAT: 730 Q47 V44 IR8
GPA: 3.3
Work Experience: 6+ yrs as a US Military Officer
Extra-curriculars/community: Extensive undergrad extracurriculars at top 35 private (non-ivy) university with numerous campus level leadership posts, as well as athletic and ROTC commitments. Post-undergraduate extracurriculars were mediocre due to frequent moves.
Other Notable: 1 additional language. Extensive travel and lived and worked in two other countries in addition to home country. Worked on many projects of a multi-national nature.
StevenH514 wrote:
StevenH514's Profile
Program: Tuck MBA
Area of Interest in MBA: Management Consulting or Tech
GMAT: 740
GPA: 3.18 in Electrical and Computer Engineering at Lafayette College
Work Experience: 4 years in US Army
Extra-curriculars/community: Nothing crazy- fun runs for charities, volunteering a few hours per month for my unit's Family Readiness Group
Other Notable- Lean Six Sigma Greent Belt, 9 month deployment to Afghanistan
Jamico7 wrote:
Jamico7's Profile
Program: MBA FT
Area of Interest in MBA: Product Management, Technology
GMAT: 730
GPA: 3.22
Work Experience: 2.5 years in DoD Agency; 2.5 years in Peace Corps
Extra-curriculars/community: Nothing too notable

-------------------

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 134

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 12:58
Some analysis I performed on Tuck Admits & the Tuck Waitlist (sorry for some reason the stats and real data aren't matching up). The "probably" sections are strict ratios from actual results.

-------------------

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.52

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 22:49
Has anybody gotten some early feedback? Figured there might have been some given the deposit deadline that passed for Early Action last week
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 134

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 07:16
americano wrote:
Has anybody gotten some early feedback? Figured there might have been some given the deposit deadline that passed for Early Action last week

I don't expect feedback until after 2/7

-------------------

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2277

Kudos [?]: 8798 [1] , given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 13:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

!
Join us for a chat with several current students who have been admitted from WL last year.
When: Tue Feb 4th at 9 AM
Where: GMAT Club Chat

The recording of the Last Week's Getting off a Waitlist Webinar is now available on Youtube:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2014, 09:44
so excited I just got off the waitlist!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Human Resources

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2014, 16:08
There's not the place that i wanted to be, but it is... good luck to everyone!
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): T '16 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants!   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2014, 16:08