Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck feedback session

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Tuck feedback session [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2007, 08:24
Just had a 10 min phone converstion with Tuck AdCom. The results are quite interesting, to me at least. They said that my acad stats, work ex etc were strong and that a lack of community involvement that I was fretting about was not such a big deal, but that they had two specific comments on my essays:
1) I was not very clear about why I want to go into management consulting after MBA;
2) I did not show well enough why I wanted to attend particularily their school.
I was actually quite surprised that I failed to answer the Why Tuck? question, but, oh well, I will do better next year (read: less shy to show my love for Tuck).
As for the first comment - yeah, they are right... And I am guilty of making the same mistake in the rest of my apps :? Wish the feedback came a week earlier, when I was still composing my GSB waitlist update.

So, it was essays after all...

At least they will be happy to see me among the re-applicants next year.
:-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck feedback session [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 12:29
Good to hear they gave you an honest feed, Oleg. I am waiting for my decision on May 15th. Looking forward to re-applying with you next year for ED. :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 13:42
Its good to hear that lack of community involvement isn't a huge hit. Thats the big whole in my file. I kinda figured schools wouldn't hold that against people too much though since a lot of people work 60+ hours a week and don't have a whole lot of freetime.

The best advice I have had for approaching the why you want to attend a particular school over another essay was to do at least one or two tours of the school. Sit in on classes, talk to students, professors and anyone in the admin that you can get a hold of, spend an evening in the area...take notes on things you did, people you talked to, and classes ou sat in on. Use that as the basis for your essay, it shows you put a lot more into figuring out if its a good fit for you than looking at ranks, gmat scores, graduating salaries and company placements.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 22:48
riverripper wrote:
Its good to hear that lack of community involvement isn't a huge hit. Thats the big whole in my file. I kinda figured schools wouldn't hold that against people too much though since a lot of people work 60+ hours a week and don't have a whole lot of freetime.

The best advice I have had for approaching the why you want to attend a particular school over another essay was to do at least one or two tours of the school. Sit in on classes, talk to students, professors and anyone in the admin that you can get a hold of, spend an evening in the area...take notes on things you did, people you talked to, and classes ou sat in on. Use that as the basis for your essay, it shows you put a lot more into figuring out if its a good fit for you than looking at ranks, gmat scores, graduating salaries and company placements.

Visiting schools is definitely a great thing to do to enhance your chances of admittance. You can take a lot from those visits.
Last year I just was reluctant to spend $$$ on flying from Russia to US. I reconsidered this and if I have to re-apply I am going to visit schools.

Nsentra wrote:
Good to hear they gave you an honest feed, Oleg. I am waiting for my decision on May 15th. Looking forward to re-applying with you next year for ED. :lol:

Good luck and see you on the other side! :)
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 05:36
helg wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Visiting schools is definitely a great thing to do to enhance your chances of admittance. You can take a lot from those visits.
Last year I just was reluctant to spend $$$ on flying from Russia to US. I reconsidered this and if I have to re-apply I am going to visit schools.

Nsentra wrote:

Good luck and see you on the other side! :)

BINGO! But try to visit during the off season (like now) for the next application cycle. Additionally, be sure to meet with the Dean, and mention him/her in your essays.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 05:38
GMATT73 wrote:
BINGO! But try to visit during the off season (like now) for the next application cycle.

For, like, standing out?
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 06:37
There is an old time GMAT club member from France studying at Tuck right now with a 640 GMAT (after four attempts). Tuck, like many other elites, (also) stresses essays and interviews, IMHO the essence of the student.
  [#permalink] 26 Apr 2007, 06:37