Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck - Johnson - Darden

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Tuck - Johnson - Darden [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 13:43
I have a tough decision facing me, as I soon need to choose one of the three schools below. I plan to focus in alternative energy and venture capital, and I am interested in hearing what others would choose if in my shoes.

1. Tuck - (no scholarship)
- Love the campus and the secluded location. Great reputation and history.

2. Johnson - (1/3 scholarship)
- The people were amazing in my visit and I love Ithaca. Also Interested in the emersion program.

3. Darden - (100% scholarship)
- Classes use the case method, close to my current home. Strong Alum network.

Could I use my full tuition at Darden as a bargaining chip for the others? Thanks for the help!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 628

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tuck - Johnson - Darden [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 14:26
cinder4277 wrote:
I have a tough decision facing me, as I soon need to choose one of the three schools below. I plan to focus in alternative energy and venture capital, and I am interested in hearing what others would choose if in my shoes.

- The people were amazing in my visit and I love Ithaca. Also Interested in the emersion program.

Could I use my full tuition at Darden as a bargaining chip for the others? Thanks for the help!

Difficult choice and I can see how you got here; all three schools are a little off the beaten path and have really strong communities. Where do you want to live and what do you want to do after school? For me, this comes down to two schools: Tuck and Darden. Johnson is a fantastic school, but personally, I wouldn't take it over a peer (Darden) that's offering so much more money.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but you just don't seem that into Darden. For pros, you simply mentioned case studies and that it's close to home, which don't really stack up to the emotion of the pros for your other schools. By the way, if the case method is a pro for you, I believe it's very common at Tuck, too.

In regards to your question about leveraging scholarship money, that probably depends. Did you get your scholarship from Darden through the Consortium? If so, I wouldn't think the other schools would budge. My understanding of the Consortium fellowship process is that it is essentially a draft based on how you preferenced the schools. In other words, if you preferenced Tuck higher and didn't get the fellowship there, then that tells you all you need to know.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 309 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Tuck - Johnson - Darden [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 16:15
Completely off topic, but did you get accepted of the waitlist at Tuck? If so, congrats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Tuck - Johnson - Darden [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 03:32
kingfalcon wrote:
cinder4277 wrote:

Difficult choice and I can see how you got here; all three schools are a little off the beaten path and have really strong communities. Where do you want to live and what do you want to do after school? For me, this comes down to two schools: Tuck and Darden. Johnson is a fantastic school, but personally, I wouldn't take it over a peer (Darden) that's offering so much more money.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but you just don't seem that into Darden. For pros, you simply mentioned case studies and that it's close to home, which don't really stack up to the emotion of the pros for your other schools. By the way, if the case method is a pro for you, I believe it's very common at Tuck, too.

In regards to your question about leveraging scholarship money, that probably depends. Did you get your scholarship from Darden through the Consortium? If so, I wouldn't think the other schools would budge. My understanding of the Consortium fellowship process is that it is essentially a draft based on how you preferenced the schools. In other words, if you preferenced Tuck higher and didn't get the fellowship there, then that tells you all you need to know.

Thank you for your thoughts! You make some valid points.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 96

Re: Tuck - Johnson - Darden [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 05:12
This post received
KUDOS
cinder4277 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
cinder4277 wrote:

Thank you for your thoughts! You make some valid points.

definitely let the other schools know about the darden offer.. as it stands now, id go with darden. id reevaluate with some money to tuck. i dont see much benefit to cornell unless they gave substantially additional $
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 23

Re: Tuck - Johnson - Darden [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 07:17
This post received
KUDOS
I'd pick between Tuck and Darden. Judging from your post you seem to be feeling Tuck much more so go with it.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 5

Re: Tuck - Johnson - Darden [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 20:34
This post received
KUDOS
I would go with Darden. Even with 50% from Darden and no $ from Tuck.
I don't think the gap between T and D is so wide :)
Re: Tuck - Johnson - Darden   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2013, 20:34