Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck leadership essay

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Tuck leadership essay [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 00:19
Hi, everyone. I'm writing the fifth draft of my Tuck essay, that defines leadership as ïnspiring other to accomplish great things", but still in doubt what will be the best choice to write here about. I have found in my past the following examples, when I stayed out of my cubicle:
1. When I designed and implemented the database that cut down by 60% the amount of time to make the waybills. Earlier they were done manually. Not so much inspiration for other people.
2. When I critically examined the shipping procedures at the warehouse of our main supplier to reduce the number of mistakes that were done there to the 99% complete shipments. Involves some inspiration, but it's more a kind of managerial work to place the write people and write the procedures for them.
3. When our customer changed the specification and tightened the required lead-time I had to find a replacement for one of the products, convince supplier to ship it much-much earlier and finally had to fly to another city to deliver the products in my luggage to meet the final deadline. Here story tells more about taking the lead and convincing people that your case is important.
4. Have been inspiring a girl from another city to prepare for GMAT, giving her support in critical moments and sharing my thoughts for preparation process. Have been pushing her up to the 700-720 that will be enough for second-tier schools she is going to apply to (we'll see if she still wants them after getting 700+ :) ). An emotional story, but Tuck asks for "great things and great leadership can be accomplished in pursuit of business and societal goals". Is this a societal goal or just good peer support? Anyway, I coach different people to ride the snowboard at my free time (not so many, although) and this is an example of my willingness to share the knowledge I have with people around me and push them beyond their limits.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 07:33
is there somewhere that you lead a small group of people, whether at work or outside? If so, you can talk about how your leadership skills, empowerment, and delegation allowed the team to break up the work, do what each person is good at, and get the job done.

Based on your examples, it seems like all of them are solo work efforts, not really "leadership" examples that Tuck is looking for. The closest one is the GMAT/girl story, but I'm also iffy on whether that would answer the question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 09:04
This case is more difficult... Once I did my own group for writing business project at university - but it actually consisted of me and a girl. We did that time a great project. Continuing to do "Total Recall" :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 09:20
Have found another two cases. In one I led a group of web-developers and combined their efforts to make a web-site. In the other, I gave lectures to the students in a type of business simulation game, developed by myself and received positive feedback from about 5 of them. These didn't have anything that breaks through really.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 11:42
RED, I like the business simulation thing. If you can show that the students used your lectures and the simulation to better themselves in some way, then you can answer the essay.

Otherwise, the web developer one is good too. You do need to explain why we should care about this web-site, and what it meant to whomever asked you to do the site.

Hope that helps!
  [#permalink] 26 Sep 2007, 11:42