Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GRE 1: Q169 V162
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact) [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Two fantastic schools. You will definitely find a bit more of non profit minded culture at Yale but consulting is a strong suit for both schools.

Tuck is most famous for its Alum support base but Yale beats it with the name recognition outside of the US. Almost forgot - Yale does offer loan forgiveness to grads who go into non-profit; this may be a nice differentiator. Have you looked into that?

Very close call. Congratulations on getting into both!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mrteacher wrote:
kvw547239 wrote:
I would love some advice re: Yale v Tuck. Considerations: I'm coming from a non-profit background, but planning to transition to consulting. I want to keep the door open to transition back into the non-profit/social impact world as well, however. I have visited both schools, and while I liked both, I got a slightly better feeling about the Yale community. I was also offered a scholarship at both schools -- slightly more at Yale. I'm leaning towards Yale, but I am hesitant because I think the recruiting resources for my interests may be better at Tuck. I'm interested if people have general thoughts on school culture, as well as recruiting resources for students.

Based on the fact that Yale is giving more $$$ and because of their strength in the non-profit sector, I would go with Yale SOM. It's also not like they're a slouch when it comes to recruiting for consulting either.

Thanks, this makes sense...a better scholarship is also hard to turn down.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
kvw547239 wrote:
I would love some advice re: Yale v Tuck. Considerations: I'm coming from a non-profit background, but planning to transition to consulting. I want to keep the door open to transition back into the non-profit/social impact world as well, however. I have visited both schools, and while I liked both, I got a slightly better feeling about the Yale community. I was also offered a scholarship at both schools -- slightly more at Yale. I'm leaning towards Yale, but I am hesitant because I think the recruiting resources for my interests may be better at Tuck. I'm interested if people have general thoughts on school culture, as well as recruiting resources for students.

Yale's newest employment report just came out and the consulting numbers are better than last years. Not sure how it compares to Tuck because I haven't researched consulting too much, but I would imagine they are pretty similar. I know Tuck has always been a consulting powerhouse but I think Yale continues to grow stronger in that industry especially.

https://som.yale.edu/programs/mba/career ... ent-report
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
Can't speak for Tuck but you'll certainly find people with your background at Yale who have successfully transitioned from pre MBA non profit to post MBA consulting (and generally you'll see more SOM students using the MBA to transition out of non profit than go into it immediately post MBA). The class of 2016 did well in consulting --on par with Tucks numbers according to @porkbun. Look into the employment reports though and see what firms are recruiting on campus. You may favor one set of firms over another. If you want to chat with a current student or alum with a similar background, message me or @Wilch and we'll see if we can connect you.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '19 (A)
Send PM
I'm copy pasting a response from the Yale admitted student's thread which is highly relevant here:

aerien wrote:
alphanumericman wrote:
Can anyone provide insight into MBB recruiting prospects from Yale? This is my biggest concern at the moment. Thanks!

All MBB of course recruit on campus plus the other major firms and more niche ones. Check the latest employment report if you haven't already; the class of 2016 did really well for consulting and I'll say really strong placements for MBB within that. We've had students place internationally across North America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East so geographic options are certainly available if that's what you're looking for. For the US most people fall into the NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, SF and LA areas (moving geographically East to West; not in terms of numbers of placements). Most end up being generalists based on how the firms hire and for McK we've had traction across their generalist program as well as the implementation and digital practices. Relatedly for the likes of a Deloitte or PwC there are people who have more general strategy roles as well as operations and human capital. All these functions have recruited on campus.

For current recruiting info, it'd be best to reach out to the consulting club specifically (contact info for clubs should be up on the website). They may have more specific stats they can give out.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
alphanumericman wrote:
I'm copy pasting a response from the Yale admitted student's thread which is highly relevant here:

aerien wrote:
alphanumericman wrote:
Can anyone provide insight into MBB recruiting prospects from Yale? This is my biggest concern at the moment. Thanks!

All MBB of course recruit on campus plus the other major firms and more niche ones. Check the latest employment report if you haven't already; the class of 2016 did really well for consulting and I'll say really strong placements for MBB within that. We've had students place internationally across North America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East so geographic options are certainly available if that's what you're looking for. For the US most people fall into the NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, SF and LA areas (moving geographically East to West; not in terms of numbers of placements). Most end up being generalists based on how the firms hire and for McK we've had traction across their generalist program as well as the implementation and digital practices. Relatedly for the likes of a Deloitte or PwC there are people who have more general strategy roles as well as operations and human capital. All these functions have recruited on campus.

For current recruiting info, it'd be best to reach out to the consulting club specifically (contact info for clubs should be up on the website). They may have more specific stats they can give out.

Thanks, very helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
In terms of consulting SOM does well, but specifically looking at MBB rates, Tuck is still a fair bit ahead (class of 2016). With that said, if you think you'll be going back to social impact / non-profit and SOM has given you a scholarship, go to SOM. They have a better loan forgiveness program as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Flyte wrote:
In terms of consulting SOM does well, but specifically looking at MBB rates, Tuck is still a fair bit ahead (class of 2016). With that said, if you think you'll be going back to social impact / non-profit and SOM has given you a scholarship, go to SOM. They have a better loan forgiveness program as well.

Hey Flyte where did you find placements for the class of 2016? I can't find it published. It looks like for the class of 2015 that percentage was 16.7% approximately.

Also I reached out to the consulting club at Yale and they said Yale SOM's MBB placement in 2016 was around 15%. FWIW they said that number has been steadily increasing over the last few years.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JLAR2107 wrote:
Flyte wrote:

Hey Flyte where did you find placements for the class of 2016? I can't find it published. It looks like for the class of 2015 that percentage was 16.7% approximately.

Also I reached out to the consulting club at Yale and they said Yale SOM's MBB placement in 2016 was around 15%. FWIW they said that number has been steadily increasing over the last few years.

I am a recent (2016) grad and was in the consulting club. It should be published soon.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Any difference in recruiting opportunities for consulting is probably not great. While MBB placement seems more impressive at Tuck, this may be a result of more students coming to Tuck with consulting background. I don't think it is a stretch to say that people with non-profit background find it harder to break into consulting than those that come from the consulting world.

Would you mind sharing your profile for future applicants? Your admission outcome is top notch! :!:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
HiLine wrote:
Any difference in recruiting opportunities for consulting is probably not great. While MBB placement seems more impressive at Tuck, this may be a result of more students coming to Tuck with consulting background. I don't think it is a stretch to say that people with non-profit background find it harder to break into consulting than those that come from the consulting world.

Would you mind sharing your profile for future applicants? Your admission outcome is top notch! :!:

Actually, outside of the sponsored students (Bain, McK, OW), most of those going to MBB and consulting writ large at Tuck do NOT have a pre-MBA consulting background. I would say from my experiences and those of friends who attended SOM, there is still a difference in consulting recruiting (specifically MBB) between the two schools, though SOM has narrowed the gap a bit in recent years.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did you have a chance to speak to the consulting club this weekend at Welcome Weekend? The placements were really impressive this year for MBB. I think it was 24 McKinsey, 18 for Bain, and about 15 for BCG. They tripled their placements in Bain and BCG this past year though for a smaller program it seems more feasible.

If you saw the numbers the CDO provided those were for the previous years' class.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JLAR2107 wrote:
Did you have a chance to speak to the consulting club this weekend at Welcome Weekend? The placements were really impressive this year for MBB. I think it was 24 McKinsey, 18 for Bain, and about 15 for BCG. They tripled their placements in Bain and BCG this past year though for a smaller program it seems more feasible.

If you saw the numbers the CDO provided those were for the previous years' class.

Keeping this in mind I think Tuck has more clout with LEK, Parthenon-EY, and other smaller firms. I was told Yale SOM is becoming more well-respected by those types of firms but might not be on the level of Tuck.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JLAR2107 wrote:
JLAR2107 wrote:

Keeping this in mind I think Tuck has more clout with LEK, Parthenon-EY, and other smaller firms. I was told Yale SOM is becoming more well-respected by those types of firms but might not be on the level of Tuck.

Id agree with this statement for now. I wouldn't be surprised if the trend in strong consulting numbers continues for SOM. Definitely trending up.

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yale is certainly on the upswing , but Tuck probably make sense for your most immediate goals. You already have experience in non-profit so if you are legitametly trying to make a career change Tuck would give you the best chance at this. Now take money and some of the other culture things into consideration it feels like you want to be at Yale. I generally recommend when things are this close you go with where you feel most at home, so go with Yale
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts