Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin

25% [2]
75% [6]
0% [0]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Send PM
Re: Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin [#permalink]
Thanks for both of your inputs!

To answer your question, bb , if money weren't an issue, then I Vanderbilt would probably out of the equation. I reckon that the money I'll need to borrow will probably mean nothing in the long term, but I don't like the idea of being financially constrained for several years, especially while I don't have a job...

In terms of funding options, I know that it won't be a problem if I attend Tuck. I'm not sure about Cornell though... Maybe someone can comment on this? Would it be difficult to get around $60k of funding at Cornell?

Thanks again!
Best,
kheown
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
kheown wrote:
I feel very fortunate to be in this position, but am now a bit confused about what would be the best choice for me... I narrowed down my list to Tuck, Cornell and Vanderbilt. I estimate the overall cost difference (excluding only interests on loans) in about 90-95k between Vanderbilt (cheaper) and Cornell-Tuck, respectively. Money is an important factor for me, since I would probably have to borrow around 50k/60k if I decide to go to Cornell/Tuck.

Tuck: Around 35%

Pros: employment numbers, visited campus and loved it (especially the class experience), brand
Cons: doesnt send many people into CorpFin/Treasury roles, cost

Cornell: Around 25%

Pros: places very well in my target companies and target location, visited and loved the place, brand, immersion (curriculum)
Cons: cost, employment numbers for internationals are not that strong

Vanderbilt: full ride

Pros: sends many people into CorpFin, full ride
Cons: might be difficult to land a job in my target companies/ideal location

Post-MBA goal is to work in CorpFin/Treasury roles in a F500, preferably in the northeast and financial services industry (these are not strong preferences). I am international and I currently don't have a US work permit. I don't care about the weather and believe that the students/alumni of all 3 schools are equally accessible and responsive.

What do you think? Any input on what I should consider besides faculty, community, program, employment numbers...?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

As a Tuckie I am biased, but I think BB hit it on the head. Tuck is a tier up on Cornell and gave you more money, so that should be fairly straightforward. What are you looking at specifically in corp fin? I'd be happy to discuss as I am going into a corp fin role post-Tuck.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kheown wrote:
....I don't like the idea of being financially constrained for several years, especially while I don't have a job...
kheown

Feeling a bit outside of your comfort zone? 8-) Ultimately MBA will boost your career, even from a lowly ranked school. What you gain with higher ranked schools is some advantage during those few years out of school when you are most vulnerable. The on-campus recruiting and network for internships/etc. Which program will offer you the best protection/options/next steps for your career? Which can offer you the best internships?

Additionally I can suggest that you visit both schools in person if you have done that yet. It is $2-3K for flights/hotels and a nice vacation. Check them both out and see how you feel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Send PM
Flyte wrote:
As a Tuckie I am biased, but I think BB hit it on the head. Tuck is a tier up on Cornell and gave you more money, so that should be fairly straightforward. What are you looking at specifically in corp fin? I'd be happy to discuss as I am going into a corp fin role post-Tuck.

Thank you Flyte !

I'm especially interested in origination, capital management and FP&A roles, but I wouldn't mind exploring other options.

I will PM you to discuss further if you don't mind :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Owen '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Just providing a bit of balance in here since it sounds like you're looking for advice across all of the programs to which you've been admitted. All great options, and as far as personality types, you'll find a lot of similarities between students at Tuck and Owen.

I'd pretty fiercely contest some of the assertions that others have made below. Owen may have a very strong brand in the region, but that does not a regional program make. You'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere in the US where Vanderbilt isn't mentioned as one of the strongest and fastest-climbing institutions. We may not have the same recruiters coming as larger institutions, but that's a function of yield (easier to get 10 students from a class of 500 than 160) rather than capability.

To be perfectly candid, however, if your goal is to work in financial services, you may have to face the challenge of some pretty elitist egos. I've found that Owen is only disparaged by those who tie their personal success to the latest US News ranking of their alma mater. But again, you'll have no problem getting an amazing job, and importantly, you'll have 2 years in one of the most exciting cities in the country.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
kheown wrote:
Flyte wrote:

Thank you Flyte !

I'm especially interested in origination, capital management and FP&A roles, but I wouldn't mind exploring other options.

I will PM you to discuss further if you don't mind :)

Treasury/FP&A roles are abundant at Tuck especially in F500 firms. Since it is also a more targeted career path, it is also not enormously competitive. The only reason not many Tuckies go into corpfin roles is mostly because strategy roles are very popular at the moment and corpfin less so. There are just frankly fewer Tuck applicants for those roles. What that does mean is that you are not competing against a bunch of classmates for the same job. In fact, I would say that is a potential upside.

As a second year, I can tell you that the short term constraint of loans really does not come into it much because the job you secure should provide you with a very comfortable lifestyle even with loan repayments.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I finally matriculated to Tuck! So excited to get to Hanover in August! :-D
GMAT Club Bot