Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Tuck or Darden($$$)

39% [9]
60% [14]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Tuck vs. Darden ($$$) [#permalink]
Kudos
brownie615 wrote:
I'm aiming at consulting (healthcare and tech) post MBA and I understand both schools are great in placing students into consulting. My location preference would be northeast (especially Boston) and west coast potentially. Tuck was my top choice but the full ride from Darden is a great plus. I would love to hear about more comments and suggestion. Thanks a lot!

Super tough call that might ultimately depend on your financial situation and perception of career services at each program. When I read Boston I automatically thought "duh, Tuck" but the ability to say you got a full ride from Darden could be strong enough to offset the difference in school rep during interviews - at the same time, it'll never offset the alumni network/experience/career services/clout. My understanding is that while Darden places well into consulting, Tuck's consulting placement is the envy of several other schools.

If it were me (and it would be nice to have your dilemma in March!) my thought process would go:
- Are funds literally a "non-issue"? Are they really tight? (Tuck for the former, Darden for the latter)
- Am I willing to potentially forgo a Boston placement (much easier for Tuck vis a vis Darden) to save the $ on tuition? Having connections in Boston will help your situation coming from both, but without them and wanting to end up in Boston, you're much better served going to Tuck unless the balance book concern weighs heavily.
- Does saying "Hey, I'm so great they ate my tuition fees" carry as much weight in an interview as you want? (I can't comment here)
- What did I think of each school upon visiting/chatting with students & alumni.

Congrats on the admits - while it's a big decision, you're gold either way you go.

Originally posted by revul on 06 Jan 2015, 14:16.
Last edited by revul on 07 Jan 2015, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Re: Tuck vs. Darden ($$$) [#permalink]
Kudos
brownie615 wrote:
I'm aiming at consulting (healthcare and tech) post MBA and I understand both schools are great in placing students into consulting. My location preference would be northeast (especially Boston) and west coast potentially. Tuck was my top choice but the full ride from Darden is a great plus. I would love to hear about more comments and suggestion. Thanks a lot!

This is a tough one because that is potentially a lot of money to turn down. I can't really offer any impartial advice as I am at current Tuckie and obviously I am rooting for you to come to Hanover. Just let me know if you have any questions about Tuck and recruiting here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.72
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
I voted Darden, mostly because I would prefer the $ up front. Another way to think about it, consider the market downturns in '01, '08-'09, etc. Few people saw those coming. I would personally rather not have any loans due juuuust in the off chance it may take a bit longer to recruit than expected. Plus, you can always say you went on a full tuition scholarship!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
If you ever decide to change course to - say - a health tech start-up. That full-ride will give you a lot of freedom to do so.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V46
Send PM
You have a great dilemma! I think that you can't go wrong with any of the two schools you mentioned. I believe that other folks have already said a lot that I don't want to repeat, but do want to add one new insight.

Tuck indeed has a very loyal alumni network, however, Darden's network is no slouch. Also, in terms of location, there is no guarantee that you will end up in Boston just because you went to Tuck. I spoke to a Wharton alumni, who is a VP in my company, when I was applying there and I was told by him very candidly that no one absolutely cares which school you graduated from once you have few years of work experience under your belt and people will focus more on your work experience.

The think this is what you need to think about: Is Tuck's alumni network + 'ivy league aura' > Darden alumni network + $120K
I have left off Boston as a location since I truly believe that you can end up in Boston through any of these schools if you kill you interview and network well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Shakandbake wrote:
You have a great dilemma! I think that you can't go wrong with any of the two schools you mentioned. I believe that other folks have already said a lot that I don't want to repeat, but do want to add one new insight.

Tuck indeed has a very loyal alumni network, however, Darden's network is no slouch. Also, in terms of location, there is no guarantee that you will end up in Boston just because you went to Tuck. I spoke to a Wharton alumni, who is a VP in my company, when I was applying there and I was told by him very candidly that no one absolutely cares which school you graduated from once you have few years of work experience under your belt and people will focus more on your work experience.

The think this is what you need to think about: Is Tuck's alumni network + 'ivy league aura' > Darden alumni network + $120K
I have left off Boston as a location since I truly believe that you can end up in Boston through any of these schools if you kill you interview and network well.

The only thing I would add to your comment is that the alumni network is potentially very important for your 2nd job out of the MBA. Tuck has such a high concentration of alums in Boston that it would make it a lot easier to network and find opportunities if you move on from your first role.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts