Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck Vs Wharton

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 21:28
Hello all,

Been a bit lucky to get accepted to both Tuck and Wharton. Now, super confused on which to attend. Am looking to transition to Consulting career post MBA, so both schools are equally good in that aspect.

However, I fell in love with Tuck's location, people and the personal scale of the school. On the other hand, I felt treated a bit impassionately at Wharton and was feeling a bit lost in the big school. So, in this aspect, Tuck beats Wharton hands down for me.

Am an international applicant. Tuck's reputation isn't as global and big as Wharton's, so in that aspect Wharton wins.

Any suggestions/view points would be really appreciated !! :)
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [2] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 21:58
This post received
KUDOS
yomba wrote:

However, I fell in love with Tuck's location, people and the personal scale of the school. On the other hand, I felt treated a bit impassionately at Wharton and was feeling a bit lost in the big school. So, in this aspect, Tuck beats Wharton hands down for me.

I think you answered your own question. Yes Wharton is a bigger name, but if your career prospects in consulting are the same at Tuck, it's really in your head about wanting that better brand. I call this the cocktail party effect where you get to impress people you probably won't see again by saying something like "I'm going to Wharton." But is the impressed reaction worth it if you won't enjoy your two years there as much as it sounds like you'll enjoy Tuck?

Congrats on the impressive admits. I was on Tuck's WL last year, so I'm a little biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 07:39
Both schools are feeders into consulting jobs, so I think it comes down to where you would feel comfortable spending the next two years of your life. I echo CobraKai and think that you answered your own question.
1 KUDOS received
MBA Blogger
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 11:02
This post received
KUDOS
Go where you want to spend two years of your life. Firms recruiting MBA students will know about tuck.

Posted from my mobile device Image
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [2] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
Sounds like you're leaning toward Tuck and want reassurance. Well you've already found it here and I'll add to it. Given your positive experiences at Tuck, you should give Wharton a big thanks but no thanks. Don't look back, Tuck is a great place!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 12:16
Not sure where you located, but internationally, just dropping the "ivy league" name is enough to impress the layman. If you are in a crowd of top MBAs, obviously Wharton will carry more weight, but Tuck won't be very far behind either. And you can obviously tell them that you picked Tuck over Wharton based on your fit with the school, and they will be impressed even more.

This reminds me of a kid from my high school who picked Berkeley over Yale for undergrad and he was always known as the kid who rejected Yale - he had that "wow factor.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 163 [1] , given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 07:17
This post received
KUDOS
I also vote for Tuck. It's a solid top 10 program where you can definitely reach your goals. There is some glamour to the Wharton name, but Tuck/Dartmouth/the Ivy League are also very prestigious.

Plus, if you "love" Tuck's location, spending 2 years in Philly will be torture. The students, culture, and location are extremely different. Go where you'll be happy.

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 08:59
I agree with everyone else. Don't go to Wharton just because it is marginally more prestigious; two years is a LONG time to be miserable. The actual school experiences at Wharton and Tuck will be so, so different. Plus, both of those schools will give you an equal shot at breaking into MBB.

For what it's worth (and in the interest of full disclosure), I got into Tuck and chose not to apply to Wharton.
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 21:51
Go to both admit weekends just to be sure, then go where you'll be happy. If you're planning on staying in the U.S. after graduation then the name recognition matters even less.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 15:04
Follow cheeterah's advice and go to both admit weekends if you can. It sounds like you love Tuck so use these weekends to confirm. Both schools will get you into consulting so don't worry about the prestige factor too much.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2014, 14:28
DefyingGravity wrote:
I also vote for Tuck. It's a solid top 10 program where you can definitely reach your goals. There is some glamour to the Wharton name, but Tuck/Dartmouth/the Ivy League are also very prestigious.

Plus, if you "love" Tuck's location, spending 2 years in Philly will be torture. The students, culture, and location are extremely different. Go where you'll be happy.

Agree with above posts. Wharton is known to be a bit more competitive amongst students during recruiting season, whereas Tuck is known for its unmatched level of cooperation. Wharton has perhaps the largest alumni network, yet Tuck has the tightest. Which do you prefer? Plus, if it matters to you, Tuck is slightly "tougher" to get into, given it's acceptance rate ~17% vs. Wharton's ~20% admit rate. Visiting again would probably help you seal your decision! You can't go wrong either way. Gluck! :-D
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 455

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2014, 23:20
onsameline wrote:
Plus, if it matters to you, Tuck is slightly "tougher" to get into, given it's acceptance rate ~17% vs. Wharton's ~20% admit rate.

not quite. It's not the same pool that is applying to the two schools. Many choose not to apply to tuck for various reasons (including that they only want a top3/5/7 MBA) :)

Anyhow, I don't think that statistic should matter in the least, considering that the OP has been admitted to both.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 84

Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 03:54
All likes to Tuck .

Best of luck

:-D :-D

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 12:08
reading through this thread, it seems pretty clear that at least the OP seems to spin his/her obvious like of Tuck over Wharton, but it's still a decision v. a no-brainer. so i would venture to say that it's worthwhile to actively think through why wharton may be better.

i also subscribe to the thought process that the gut knows best - rationalize to yourself that you're going to tuck, and note how you feel. do the same with wharton. and compare. you'll naturally tend towards which one will holistically be a better fit for you, after you've gotten as much information (welcome weeks from both, talk to current MBB people from both) as reasonable to decide.
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 13:04
I would compare the ratio of % of batch who landed Consulting gigs from Tuck versus Wharton. Wharton is a Finance school and you would have an easier time getting into Consulting. Tuck on the other hand is into general management and many more would want to go into Consulting. You would want to dig into actual statistics and talk to current students.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Re: Tuck Vs Wharton   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2014, 13:04