Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 07:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (02:18) correct 27% (00:55) wrong based on 22 sessions
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape
of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and
was also the first Swedish writer to win
the Nobel Prize for Literature.
A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape
of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and
landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as
well as the first Swedish writer that won
C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories
about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first
woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning
D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life
and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the
first Swedish writer to win
E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about
the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also
the first Swedish writer that won
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 259 [1] , given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: A novelist [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
+1 D

A. Problems in the meaning of the sentence. Here, we could understand that she won the Nobel prize because she decided to write romantic stories.
B. Problems in the meaning too. It seems that "she" and Selma lagerlöf are not the same person. Other minor mistake: Usually, a pronoun requieres a previous noun. "She" doesn't have it.
C. "She became the first woman". ¿the first woman of what?
D. Correct.
E. Ackward.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: A novelist [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 20:01
'in 1909' should be closest to 'become' otherwise it seems to convey the sense that she turned away from blah blah in 1909!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: A novelist [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
WarriorAjay wrote:
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape
the Nobel Prize for Literature.
A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and
landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as
well as the first Swedish writer that won
C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories
about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first
woman in addition to
the first Swedish writer winning
D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life
and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the
first Swedish writer to win
E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about
the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also
the first Swedish writer that won

between D and E there was a slight confusion, but then 'in 1909...' is a modifier which should modify the novelist woman.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q39 V28
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A novelist [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 22:10
A: I found "Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman" a bit awkward here. "Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist" should have been conveyed in the initial part of the sentence
B: I eliminated it mainly because of wordy arrangement of " as
well as the first Swedish writer that won"
C: Same, wordy "the first woman in addition to"
D: I didn't confirmed it as an answer but choose it by elimination
E: "As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away" arrangement here is also awkward. As a novelist she turned away not in any other sense? I mean she only turned away as a novelist and personally or perhaps professionally didn't??

My explanations could be weird but this is how I choose the answer
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A novelist [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 04:34
Modifier error, the answer is D.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: A novelist   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2011, 04:34