Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2005, 01:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.
A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won
C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning
D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win
E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2005, 07:36
A B C are al faulty.

D and E are close.

I am picking D.

Took me over 5 minutes and I could still be wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Selma Lagerlof [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2005, 15:17
Vithal wrote:
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.
A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won
C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning
D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win
E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won

A is faulty because 'Selma Lagerlof' should have followed the comma immediately.
In B the usage of the pronoun 'she' is too vague
In C the words 'first woman in addition to first swedish' seems strange
Can't find a fault with D
in E, if you get ride of the part between the commas the sentence 'as a novelist in 1909 becoming...' makes no sense.

Thus my answer is D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Selma Lagerlof [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2005, 18:36
cloudz9 wrote:
Vithal wrote:

A is faulty because 'Selma Lagerlof' should have followed the comma immediately.
in E, if you get ride of the part between the commas the sentence 'as a novelist in 1909 becoming...' makes no sense.

Thus my answer is D

:wall - this was an easy one! I didn't observe "in addition to" in C :oops

OA is D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Selma Lagerlof [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2005, 09:18
cloudz9 wrote:

Thus my answer is D

I choose E.

And excuse me, I don't understand why cloudz9 could get rid of that part, the main clause is "Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden," and "in 1909 becoming..." is paraphrased from "and in 1909 she become..."

I think it looks quite OK. Is there any other problem in E?!

But in D, Shouldn't "A" novelist who... be revised to "The" novelist directly modified by adj clause?

Hope someone could help me.
Thank you!!

Last edited by shine822 on 11 Aug 2005, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Selma Lagerlof [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2005, 10:26
shine822 wrote:
cloudz9 wrote:

Thus my answer is D

I choose E.

And excuse me, I don't understand why cloudz9 could get rid of that part, the main clause is "Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden," and "in 1909 becoming..." is paraphrased from "and in 1909 she become..."

I think it looks quite OK. Is there any other problem in D?!

But in D, Shouldn't "A" novelist who... be revised to "The" novelist directly modified by adj clause?

Hope someone could help me.
Thank you!!

E is wrong... E has atleast 2 problems...

1. You can naver a present participle (becoming) with time... 1909.
2. What is the last phrase modifying.. The neareast noun, which is northern Sweden. Althought it is acceptable to have a phrase at the end of the sentence modify the main subject of the main clause, but only when there is a simple sentence. You can not use a phrase to modify the sentence which is complex, compound or complex compund. Which is the case here.
3. That clause. I think it is good to use who to start a restrictive or non-restrictive clause for living things. Although you can use THAT for people. But the problem is that the clause seem to indicate that She became the first sweedish writer of a type who won the noble prize....

D is a classic sentence in which you have a noun phrase modifying the subject of the main clause. The sequance of events are nice, correctlty places 1909 to indicate what happened at that time...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Selma Lagerlof [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2005, 19:14
riteshgupta1 wrote:
shine822 wrote:

I choose E.
I think it looks quite OK. Is there any other problem in E?!

E is wrong... E has atleast 2 problems...
1. You can naver a present participle (becoming) with time... 1909.
2. What is the last phrase modifying.. The neareast noun, which is northern Sweden. Althought it is acceptable to have a phrase at the end of the sentence modify the main subject of the main clause, but only when there is a simple sentence. You can not use a phrase to modify the sentence which is complex, compound or complex compund. Which is the case here.
3. That clause. I think it is good to use who to start a restrictive or non-restrictive clause for living things. Although you can use THAT for people. But the problem is that the clause seem to indicate that She became the first sweedish writer of a type who won the noble prize....

D is a classic sentence in which you have a noun phrase modifying the subject of the main clause. The sequance of events are nice, correctlty places 1909 to indicate what happened at that time...

Thank you very much. :thanks
Very clear!!
Now I'm sure "in 1909" in E is really a two-way modifier.
Re: SC: Selma Lagerlof   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2005, 19:14