Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 19:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:15) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 21 sessions
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and
landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the
first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.
A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life
and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who
became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the
peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in
1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won
C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write
romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in
1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning
D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about
the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in
1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win
E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote
romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909
becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Swedish writer [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 20:17
I eliminated options B, C and E because 'to win' best fits the transition into the rest of the sentence. They are also very poorly structured. E.g. option B introduces a "she" long before mentioning who she is. Option E is a sentence fragment --> "...Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman"

I was left with options A and D.

There are a few problems with option A but to me the biggest giveaway is when it momentarily makes it sound like Selma Lagerlöf physically "became the first woman" by breaking up "first woman" and "Swedish writer" with "was also"

My choice:

D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Swedish writer [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 20:27
totally agree with above.

Ans is D
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Swedish writer [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 03:28
I dont like the "and also" in D...

does not sound quiet redundant to you?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Swedish writer [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2010, 08:10
D.

and also is required because she was the first woman to win and also the first Swedish writer.

If not the setence would have been first female Swedish writer -- which is no in any of the options
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Swedish writer [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2010, 11:23
By POE, D is the answer
A> Modifier Problem
B>I don't like the construction:
Quote:
novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman
--> awkward
C> The following part is wrong
Quote:
and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning

E>
Quote:
and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning
--> Not correct
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 599 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 04:19
Expert's post
What's the problem if C uses "in addition to"?
Moreover is the phrase in D, ".....became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish...."correct? I feel its ambigous.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Re: Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 22:10
Marcab wrote:
Moreover is the phrase in D, ".....became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish...."correct? I feel its ambigous.

Hi Marcab,

C) Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden,

Here both seems not to be parallel to each other.

D)A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerl öf became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win

Here novelist modifies Selma Lager

As you mentioned me too felt "and also" bit awkward and ambiguous.
But no other choice seems to be equally correct.

share ur views too buddy... :)

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

Re: Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 13:58
Marcab wrote:

As per my understanding -

"in addition to" , by itself serves the same purpose as "and " or "and also".

But in this context , it treats the two sentences as different . Cant quiet frame it well , but consider below. It reads something like -

She
Became the first women (somewhere.. god knows where)
in addition to
first Swedish writer winning Nobel prize.

Doesnt make sense.

The "in addition to" here is an issue because you are using winning . If you use "to win" here instead of winning , "in addition to" would not be an issue.

HTH
Jyothi

Jyothi hosamani

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

Re: Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 14:32
ritjn2003 wrote:
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and
landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the
first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.
A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life
and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who
became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the
peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in
1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won
C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write
romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in
1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning
E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote
romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909
becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won

A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win

Misplaced modifier . "Selma Lagerlof" should come right after the comma.

I am also a little skeptical about the parallelism , in the below , cos of the inclusion of was in the second sentence which makes "was the novelist" and "was the first swedish writer" parallel, when it is intended to mean that " first women and first swedish writer to win..."

Selma Lagerlöf
was the novelist who became the first woman ( this sentence doesnt make sense ... She became the first women ? )
and
was also the first Swedish writer to win

B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won

---- "that" should be "who" . "that" cannot be used to refer to people.
The "and" creates two independent clause and in this case , it sounds like "She" is not referring to "Selma" , but someone else.
He directed the movie , and actor ABC acted in it. ( He and , the actor ABC are two different people. Same with option B too) .

C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning[i][/i]

---"Winning" should be replaces with "to win"
Also "was a novelist" implies past tense and that she is no more a novelist.
"Selma WAS A NOVELIST , and in 1909 she BECAME <something > ". implies that she was a novelist and in 1909 she stopped being a novelist and became something else.

D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win
Corect

E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won

Incorrect usage of "that". same as B
also there is a slight meaning change , or rather change in focus of the sentence from the intended meaning.
Intends to say ( see the original option A) - Turning away from <Something> , in 1909 she became ...." .
But option E says - "Selma , turned away from <> , becoming <this> " .

The focus is on the point that "she BECAME the first women to win Nobel " , But E focuses on point thta " she TURNED away from <> "
I guess it is too subtle .

HTH
Jyothi

Jyothi hosamani

Re: Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories   [#permalink] 11 May 2013, 14:32