Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 19:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 42

Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 06:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (02:01) correct 30% (01:09) wrong based on 72 sessions
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces

[Reveal] Spoiler:
This example is previously posted but I don;t understand why E is correct. Explain why <are> is used for <one of the many new satellites>
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
8 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 1178 [8] , given: 244

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: sentence correction [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 08:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
@Lola: Should you really rush to reveal the answers? It takes the entire charm away. Your doubts will any way be cleared wholesomely. You have to be just patient. There are so many others who have lot of things to learn from such wonderful questions.

First of all a small note on the style of using a hyphenated adjective such as ‘a 15 – year effort’. It is never correct to say - 'a 15 - years effort' or 'a 15 years effort'. It has to be always 'a 15- year effort' (note the singular use). Other examples are - he is a six-foot tall man; two-mile long road etc., etc.

By this token alone, I will remove A and C, notwithstanding other errors in these two choices.

Relative pronouns such as ‘that’ and ‘which’ can not flout 'the touch - rule' and refer to something far distant. In the context, ‘that’ has necessarily to refer to 'satellites' and hence the corresponding verb has to be the plural ‘are’.So B is also out. The choice is now between D and E.

D suffers from two errors. The essence of the effort is to carry out a purpose, which is best expressed by using an infinitive ‘to subject’, rather than by the present perfect’ has subjected’. In addition, what does the pronoun ‘that’ refer to? As such, it refers to 15 years and is erroneous. It should refer to the “effort.’

Last edited by daagh on 11 Feb 2011, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 29

Re: sentence correction [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
A,B and C are straight away out because of subject-verb disagreement. 'That' refers to satellites and D and E properly uses plural verb 'are' instead of 'is'.

15-Year effort is simple and concise than 'effort for 15 years'. Also in D 'that' wrongly refers to 15 Years. Hence E is the right answer.

Hope this helps. Thank You.
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sentence correction [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 03:57
Nice Q . thanks Daag for detailed explanation.

In The World Full Of Duplicates,, I Am The Only Masterpiece..
Girl Power
beat-the-beast-with-non-native-speaker-108349.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 42

Re: sentence correction [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 08:33
Thank you, very good explanations. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 291

Re: sentence correction [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 18:34
daagh wrote:
@Lola: Should you really rush to reveal the answers? It takes the entire charm away. Your doubts will any way be cleared wholesomely. You have to be just patient. There are so many others who have lot of things to learn from such wonderful questions.

First of all a small note on the style of using a hyphenated adjective such as ‘a 15 – year effort’. It is never correct to say - 'a 15 - years effort' or 'a 15 years effort'. It has to be always 'a 15- year effort' (note the singular use). Other examples are - he is a six-foot tall man; two-mile long road etc., etc.

By this token alone, I will remove A and C, notwithstanding other errors in these two choices.

Relative pronouns such as ‘that’ and ‘which’ can not flout 'the touch - rule' and refer to something far distant. In the context, ‘that’ has necessarily to refer to 'satellites' and hence the corresponding verb has to be the plural ‘are’.So B is also out. The choice is now between D and E.

D suffers from two errors. The essence of the effort is to carry out a purpose, which is best expressed by using an infinitive ‘to subject’, rather than by the present perfect’ has subjected’. In addition, what does the pronoun
that’ refer to? As such, it refers to 15 years and is erroneous. It should refer to the “effort.’

I have a question D mentions oceans, the question too mentions oceans but E mentions 'ocean'. The earth doesn't have jus one ocean just as it doesn't have one land surface. Am I missing something here?
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 939 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: sentence correction [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 00:03
This post received
KUDOS
mohnish104 wrote:
daagh wrote:

D suffers from two errors. The essence of the effort is to carry out a purpose, which is best expressed by using an infinitive ‘to subject’, rather than by the present perfect’ has subjected’. In addition, what does the pronoun
that’ refer to? As such, it refers to 15 years and is erroneous. It should refer to the “effort.’

I have a question D mentions oceans, the question too mentions oceans but E mentions 'ocean'. The earth doesn't have jus one ocean just as it doesn't have one land surface. Am I missing something here?

Hello mohnish

Interesting question :) You say Earth's ocean when you want to refer to the continuous body of salt water that covers 72 percent of the Earth's surface. If you say Earth's oceans, you imply the number of divisions of the ocean, including the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic, and Antarctic oceans. This question, however, just wants to imply the interaction, in general, of Earth's ocean - body of salt water to detailed scrutiny from space. It does not matter which division is.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 05:14
effect to do
is correct idiom'

effect that has done
is not idiom

this is a hard and fast rule. and dont discuss more of meaning for a grammartical problem.

If anyone in this gmat forum know anybody traveling to Hanoi, Vietnam on around 25 Jan 2014, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some problem and need your help. Thank

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: sentence correction [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 10:13
pqhai wrote:
Hello mohnish

Interesting question :) You say Earth's ocean when you want to refer to the continuous body of salt water that covers 72 percent of the Earth's surface. If you say Earth's oceans, you imply the number of divisions of the ocean, including the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic, and Antarctic oceans. This question, however, just wants to imply the interaction, in general, of Earth's ocean - body of salt water to detailed scrutiny from space. It does not matter which division is.

Hope it helps.

Yes, but this is indeed rather strange. Mohnish's point is quite valid. Quite difficult to digest "Earth's ocean". Also, all other answer choices use "oceans". Wondering if this is a typo on the official question, though chances are less.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 06:14
in the phrase " effort for 15 years that has..." , "that" can jump to refer to "effort" . there are many og problems, in which this farness happen.

and the matter here is that "effort that has..." is not idiomatic.

If anyone in this gmat forum know anybody traveling to Hanoi, Vietnam on around 25 Jan 2014, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some problem and need your help. Thank

Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2013, 06:14