Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Twenty years ago the Republic of Rosinia produced nearly 100

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Twenty years ago the Republic of Rosinia produced nearly 100 [#permalink] New post 21 May 2004, 11:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Twenty years ago the Republic of Rosinia produced nearly 100 million tons of potatoes, but last year the harvest barely reached 60 million tons. Agricultural researchers, who have failed to develop new higher yielding strains of potatoes, are to blame for this decrease, since they have been concerned only with their own research and not with the needs of Rosinia.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Any current attempts by agricultural researchers to develop higher-yielding potato strains are futile.

(B) Strains of potatoes most commonly grown in Rosinia could not have produced the yields last year that they once did.

(C) Agricultural researchers often find concrete solutions to practical problems when investigating seemingly unrelated questions.

(D) Wide fluctuations in the size of the potato crop over a twenty-year period are not unusual.

(E) Agricultural research in Rosinia is funded by government grants.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 May 2004, 15:32
B is not the right answer.

Explain your reasoning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 May 2004, 18:31
C could be the answer. BTW, I cant provide ad hoc reasoning.

If I have a non ad hoc answer, I would have provided reasoning:)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 May 2004, 20:54
I was originally intending to choose A but I ended up choosing B.

if the attempts by researchers are usefull then there must be some other reason for low yield of crops. In this case the author cannot blame the researchers.
In order to blame researchers it should be shown that whatever they did was not usefull and then attribute their failure to they having ignored the needs of the country in question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 May 2004, 21:00
Hi

In my thoughts ... A is the answer.

Twenty years ago the Republic of Rosinia produced nearly 100 million tons of potatoes, but last year the harvest barely reached 60 million tons. Agricultural researchers, who have failed to develop new higher yielding strains of potatoes, are to blame for this decrease, since they have been concerned only with their own research and not with the needs of Rosinia.

(A) Any current attempts by agricultural researchers to develop higher-yielding potato strains are futile.

(B) Strains of potatoes most commonly grown in Rosinia could not have produced the yields last year that they once did.

(C) Agricultural researchers often find concrete solutions to practical problems when investigating seemingly unrelated questions.

(D) Wide fluctuations in the size of the potato crop over a twenty-year period are not unusual.

(E) Agricultural research in Rosinia is funded by government grants

The question asks for assumptions. And the author blames the researchers for the decrease and that they are only bothered about their research. It assumes, also that, any further research will not be fruitfull. The other answers, b, c, d, e are either outof scope and is not valid. Hence A is the answer. Correct me if I am wrong.

Giving another SHOT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 May 2004, 07:56
In my opinion (A) should be the answer, on negating (A) we can easily refute the argument, had the researchers succeded in thier research then he yield would have been higher.
(B) is itself stated in the argument and is not an assumption.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2004, 06:13
I don't believe that B is already stated in the argument. The first sentence does not make that statement.

What's the OA and explantion, gmatblast?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2004, 06:26
My answer is C. The researchers can find solutions for the problem. They did not find it this time and so they are to blame.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Rosinia [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2004, 09:40
gmatblast wrote:

The arugment conclusion is that "Researchers are to blame for the decrease in yeild."

A is not an assumption, in fact if, A is true, the argument falls apart. If new strains cannot be developed, then researchers ought not to invest their time in researching.

C is basically out of scope, although it slightly weakens the argument. If C were true, it is possible that scientists would be able to solve the problem while working on a seemingly unrelated problem.

B is correct. Negated, it states the current strains are sufficient to produce the growth. If the current strains can support the growth, the scientests ARE NOT TO blame for the decrease in yield, the farmers are to blame.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2004, 11:02
Even I agree, it is B. Similar reasoning to SigEpUCI and other through negation.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Rosinia [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2004, 22:55
gmatblast wrote:

C.

Arg: Scientists are to blame for they do their personal stuff.
First of all, my answer would search, "why sd sceintists be blamed?"

The author assumes that scientists, in general, have answers to all problems. And in this case, they have not been paying attention. If they had paid attention, the turnover wouldn't have fallen so low. So the scientists are to blame.

If this assumption is negated - say they cannot find solutions to practical problems - the argument that (it is scientists to blame since they did not pay attention) is invalid. Even, if they paid attention, there is no gaurantee there will be a solution and hence high turnover.

So much for a potato!! :)

Last edited by hardworker_indian on 01 Sep 2004, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Rosinia [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2004, 22:57
gmatblast wrote:

C.

Arg: Scientists are to blame for they do their personal stuff.
First of all, my answer would search, "why sd sceintists be blamed?"

The author assumes that scientists, in general, have answers to all problems. And in this case, they have not been paying attention. If they had paid attention, the turnover wouldn't have fallen so low. So the scientists are to blame.

If this assumption is negated - say they cannot find solutions to practical problems - the argument that (it is scientists to blame since they did not pay attention) is invalid. Even, if they paid attention, there is no gaurantee there will be a solution and hence high turnover.

So much for a potato!! :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2004, 00:36
(E) could be the answer. It's not entirely out of scope. If the researchers are funeded by grants, surly they will want to come up with some innovations that will keep the grant going. From this, we know they are so interested in their own research that they simply have no time, or couldn't be bothered about agricultrual yields.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Rosinia [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2004, 02:08
gmatblast wrote:

I agree with B

If the yield COULD HAVE BEEN as high last year as it has always been then it is the farmers not the researchers who are to blame for not sustaining the same level of crops

But if the yield COULD NOT HAVE BEEN high last year (as a result of soil degradation for instance) then the researchers HAD TO develop new strains of potatoes to prevent the shortage. So the researchers are to blame for not helping the situation only if B is true
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 675 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2004, 20:04
gmatblast

can you please give us the answer for this?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 May 2007, 17:22
Hey guys where are you going.

Although the OA is B, it just can't be; at least I can't figure it out how.

1. See the argument says that for 20 years the growth had been 100mill tons.

2. Last year it was 60 mill.

3. The author totally blames it on the researchers (for whatever reason - negligence).

Now guys, the author wants the assumption.

Now tell me how B could be an assumption. OK let's try it.

B. Strains of potatoes most commonly grown in Rosinia could not have produced the yields last year that they once did.

OK now fit this option into the argument.
For 20 years the harvest had been great except last year. Strains of potatoes most commonly grown in Rosinia could not have produced the yields last year that they once did.. So researchers are to blame for the decrease.

Does any of this make any sense. NO!... not at all. What this would mean is that yield could not have been produced regardless the efforts of the researchers but still researchers are to blame.

Guys this is not true at all.

To me it's between C and D.

May be the OA is wrong or I am reading option B incorrectly.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

CB
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 May 2007, 18:39
Let us negate the following

Strains of potatoes most commonly grown in Rosinia could not have produced the yields last year that they once did.

as follows

Strains of potatoes most commonly grown in Rosinia could have produced the yields last year that they once did.

Meaning there is some other parameter other than researcher's efforts that influences the fluctuation in potato yield. If this true then the high yield cannot be solely attributed to researchers. The whole argument falls apart.
Therefore answer is B.
  [#permalink] 16 May 2007, 18:39