Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jan 2015, 07:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

two boxes contain 3 balls 1,2,3. IF ONE BALL IS TO BE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

two boxes contain 3 balls 1,2,3. IF ONE BALL IS TO BE [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 03:16
two boxes contain 3 balls 1,2,3. IF ONE BALL IS TO BE SELECTED FROM EACH BOX, what is the prob that the sum of the numbers on the two balls will be even?

1/9
2/9
4/9
5/9
3/3

I HAVE A DOUBT HERE. WHILE CALCULATING POSS CASES, IS THE CASE ( 1,4) DIFFERENT FROM (4,1)??
i always have a confusion regarding this...
i read that if the events are occuring simultaneously ,then order does not matter , eg, if we are throwing 2 dice together.
but if we throw one after another it does matter.

since in the above case , we are lifting both together, should we take (a,b) = (b,a)?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: probability [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 12:41
Hi,

I believe you are thinking too much.

Just think logically out here. You don't need to worry which way to have like (1,4) or (4,1).

For this problem.
we Have A which has 1,2,3 nos.
we have B which has 1,2,3 nos.

No. of ways a no. can be selected from A = 3.
No. of ways a no. can be selected from B = 3.

Total No. of ways = 3*3 = 9.

Now what are the possibilities : Case 1 : all combination of odd nos will add to give u an even no. So (1,1,), (1,3), (3,1), (3,3). Here it means (no. picked from A, no. picked from B). So you see why we have (1,3) and (3,1) here.

Case 2 : All even nos will add to give you an even no. = (2,2)

Therefore how many possible combinations we can have = 4 + 1 = 5

Therefore Probability = 5/9.

Just a note, The process above looks tedious because of the long explanation. But if you think the steps, it will be faster. For this problem you can have this approach and complete the problem in < 1min. However I would also like to add that if the nos are big, this approach is going to take more than 3 mins. For eg: if you had 3 bags and each had 10 balls numbered 1 to 10, and you are asked to find the same result. In cases like these you should know the basics of permutation and combination. That can help you reduce time drastically and still have the answer in less than 1 min.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 508 [0], given: 5

Re: probability [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 13:30
arjtryarjtry wrote:
two boxes contain 3 balls 1,2,3. IF ONE BALL IS TO BE SELECTED FROM EACH BOX, what is the prob that the sum of the numbers on the two balls will be even?

1/9
2/9
4/9
5/9
3/3

I HAVE A DOUBT HERE. WHILE CALCULATING POSS CASES, IS THE CASE ( 1,4) DIFFERENT FROM (4,1)??
i always have a confusion regarding this...
i read that if the events are occuring simultaneously ,then order does not matter , eg, if we are throwing 2 dice together.
but if we throw one after another it does matter.

since in the above case , we are lifting both together, should we take (a,b) = (b,a)?

Box1: O E O (1,2,3)
Box2: O E O (1,2,3)

we know that OO= even and EE=even

p= (2C1*2C1+1C1*1C1)/(3C1*3C1) = 5/9

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Re: probability   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2008, 13:30