Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway;

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway; [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 14:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

15% (02:39) correct 85% (01:07) wrong based on 13 sessions
Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway; each car travels in opposite direction to the other for 6km, and then takes an 8km travel after turning to the right. What is the shortest and longest distances that exist between them?

A. 12, 10
B. 11, 20
C. 20, 28
D. 14, 26
E. 20, 14
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 21 Mar 2013, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1192 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway; [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 14:31
How can A be the answer?

What is the shortest and longest distances that exist between them?
A. 12, 10

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 6

Re: Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway; [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 17:03
Just draw the problem (see attached drawing) and do:

Z^2=6^2+8^2 ---> Z=10

I think Zarrolou is right, and the solution must be: (12, 20)

Shortest: 12
Longest: 20

Therefore, there is a mistake in the solutions provided because it says answer A is (12, 10)

Solution: (12, 20) --> see attached drawing

Answer A
Attachments

Imagen1.jpg
Imagen1.jpg [ 9.71 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]

Does this post deserve KUDOS?

Free Prep: Self-prepare GMAT for free and GMAT Math tips for free
Free Flashcards: Free GMAT Flashcards

More: "All I wish someone had told me about GMAT beforehand"
There are many things you want to know before doing the GMAT exam (how is exam day, what to expect, how to think, to do's...), and you have them in this blog, in a simple way

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 266 [2] , given: 22

Re: Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway; [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 17:10
This post received
KUDOS
Kindly check the answer. It should be C.

The shortest distance will be along the hypotenuse and longest distance will be along the path taken by the two cars, i.e. along the other two sides of the triangles.
Image is attached.

Please give a kudo if you like my post.
Attachments

Maths.JPG
Maths.JPG [ 16.8 KiB | Viewed 543 times ]

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 66

Re: Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway; [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 23:02
Expert's post
Abhii46 wrote:
Kindly check the answer. It should be C.

The shortest distance will be along the hypotenuse and longest distance will be along the path taken by the two cars, i.e. along the other two sides of the triangles.
Image is attached.

Please give a kudo if you like my post.

Pythagoras strikes again! Of course this is setting us up to have a right angle triangle, and a 3-4-5 (all values x2) triangle at that. The shortest distance will have to be 20 (10x2), but the longest distance is where this question falls apart. I'd say the longest distance between them is the path starting at point A, passing by Siberia, and then hitting point B.

This question sort of falls apart here but the shortest distance is nevertheless measurable and the longest distance can be measured with enough arbitrary rules (using only the roads that are used and not being able to take the same road twice, sort of thing). Using these completely realistic restrictions, the answer is C. 8-)

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway;   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2013, 23:02