Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 20:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

44% (02:20) correct 56% (01:11) wrong based on 199 sessions
Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even number at the first die or a total of 8 is

A. 1/36
B. 3/36
C. 11/36
D. 20/36
E. 23/36
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Probability - tossing two dice [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 20:58
total possible outcomes for two dice: 36

case 1
prob of getting an even number on the first die
first die can have 2,4,6 second die can have any of 1,2,3,4,5,6
or favorable outcomes 3x6 = 18
probability= 18/36

case 2
getting a sum of 8 (2,6)(6,2)(3,5)(5,3)(4,4)
probability=5/36

now both of the above cases have some cases common to them
i.e. when the first die has an even number and the sum is also 8
there are 3 cases of this kind (2,6) (6,2) (4,4)
prob=3/36

also P(A or B)=P(A) + P(B) - P(A & B)
so we have P(even or sum of 8) = 18/36 + 5/36 - 3/36
20/36
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3237

Kudos [?]: 22288 [0], given: 2611

Re: Probability - tossing two dice [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 01:47
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Macsen wrote:
Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even number at the first die or a total of 8 is
A. 1/36
B. 3/36
C. 11/36
D. 20/36
E. 23/36

OR probability:
If Events A and B are independent, the probability that Event A OR Event B occurs is equal to the probability that Event A occurs plus the probability that Event B occurs minus the probability that both Events A and B occur: P(A \ or \ B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \ and \ B).

This is basically the same as 2 overlapping sets formula:
{total # of items in groups A or B} = {# of items in group A} + {# of items in group B} - {# of items in A and B}.

Note that if event are mutually exclusive then P(A \ and \ B)=0 and the formula simplifies to: P(A \ or \ B) = P(A) + P(B).

Also note that when we say "A or B occurs" we include three possibilities:
A occurs and B does not occur;
B occurs and A does not occur;
Both A and B occur.

AND probability:
When two events are independent, the probability of both occurring is the product of the probabilities of the individual events: P(A \ and \ B) = P(A)*P(B).

This is basically the same as Principle of Multiplication: if one event can occur in m ways and a second can occur independently of the first in n ways, then the two events can occur in mn ways.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:
A. 1/36
B. 3/36
C. 11/36
D. 20/36
E. 23/36

1. The probability of getting an even number at the first die is 1/2 (as the probability of even = the probability of odd = 1/2);
2. The probability of getting a total of 8 is 5/6^2, as there are 5 different favorable scenarios: (2,6), (6,2), (3,5), (5,3) and (4,4);
3. The probability of getting an even number at the first die AND a total of 8 is 3/6^2 (from above case);

Hence, The probability of getting an even number at the first die OR a total of 8 is 1/2+5/36-3/36=20/36.

Answer: D.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 07:18
+1 D

Great question.
Remember that the "OR formula" is:

P(A) OR P(B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)

In this case, A and B can take place together, so the value of P(A and B) is greater than 0.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 7

Re: Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 01:10
Bunuel, could you please explain why the probability of getting 'four' on both dices is 1/36 and not 1/18? Why don't we make a difference between 4 on dice 1 and four on dice ?

I mean why the combination 4'4'' is the same as 4''4' (apostrophe symbolizes the dice: ' = dice number one, '' = dice number two).

I have encountered many probability problems, where events that are identical are differentiated. For example:

Quote:
A 5 meter long wire is cut into two pieces. The longer piece is then used to form a perimeter of a square. What is the probability that the area of the square will be more than 1 if the original wire is cut at an arbitrary point?

1/6
1/5
3/10
1/3
2/5

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(E)

In the example above the probability is 2/5.

Could you please explain the difference?

Last edited by nonameee on 21 Feb 2012, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Re: Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 01:18
One more question: When calculating probability, how should we know when to count the same instances and when not?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 01:38
Expert's post
nonameee wrote:
Bunuel, could you please explain why the probability of getting 'four' on both dices is 1/36 and not 1/18? Why don't we make a difference between 4 on dice 1 and four on dice ?

I mean why the combination 4'4'' is the same as 4''4' (apostrophe symbolizes the dice: ' = dice number one, '' = dice number two).

We can get combination of (2, 6) in two ways: 2 on die A and 6 on die B OR 2 on die B and 6 on die A;

Whereas (4, 4) has only one combination: 4 on on die A and 4 on die B, it has no second combination, since 4 on die B and 4 on die A is exact same combination.

nonameee wrote:
I have encountered many probability problems, where events that are identical are differentiated. For example:

Quote:
A 5 meter long wire is cut into two pieces. The longer piece is then used to form a perimeter of a square. What is the probability that the area of the square will be more than 1 if the original wire is cut at an arbitrary point?

1/6
1/5
3/10
1/3
2/5

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(E)

In the example above the probability is 2/5.

Could you please explain the difference?

This is completely different problem. In order the area of a square to be more than 1 the side of it must be more than 1, or the perimeter more than 4. So the longer piece must be more than 4. Look at the diagram.

-----

If the wire will be cut anywhere at the red region then the rest of the wire (longer piece) will be more than 4 meter long. The probability of that is 2/5 (2 red pieces out of 5).

Answer: E.

Also discussed here: a-5-meter-long-wire-is-cut-into-two-pieces-if-the-longer-106448.html

Hope it helps.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Director
Director

Re: Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 01:46
I have re-read my posts and I think it's clear now.

Quote:
why the probability of getting 'four' on both dices is 1/36 and not 1/18? Why don't we make a difference between 4 on die1 and four on die?

This is because we fix dices one and two.

Quote:

This is because we can cut the wire from both ends. When we fix the ends, we can cut 1 m from the left, or we can cut 1 m from the right end. Both options are different since we have fixed the ends.

Quote:
When calculating probability, how should we know when to count the same instances and when not?

We don't count twice the same instances of the fixed "property" (don't know how to call that). But if two fixed properties (e.g., two dices: die_1 = property_one, die_2 = property_two) yield the same result by taking various values, we need to count those options (as in the above example with dices producing the sum of 8).

Bunuel, does the above make sense?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 03:20
Expert's post
nonameee wrote:
I have re-read my posts and I think it's clear now.

Quote:
why the probability of getting 'four' on both dices is 1/36 and not 1/18? Why don't we make a difference between 4 on die1 and four on die?

This is because we fix dices one and two.

Quote:

This is because we can cut the wire from both ends. When we fix the ends, we can cut 1 m from the left, or we can cut 1 m from the right end. Both options are different since we have fixed the ends.

Quote:
When calculating probability, how should we know when to count the same instances and when not?

We don't count twice the same instances of the fixed "property" (don't know how to call that). But if two fixed properties (e.g., two dices: die_1 = property_one, die_2 = property_two) yield the same result by taking various values, we need to count those options (as in the above example with dices producing the sum of 8).

Bunuel, does the above make sense?

I'm not sure that I understand completely the last part of your post, though it seems that you got the main point.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 06:03
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on probability problems: math-probability-87244.html

All DS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=33
All PS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=54

Tough probability questions: hardest-area-questions-probability-and-combinations-101361.html

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V24
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Sales (Other)

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 144

Reviews Badge
Re: Probability - tossing two dice [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 01:38
Bunuel wrote:
2. The probability of getting a total of 8 is 5/6^2, as there are 5 different favorable scenarios: (2,6), (6,2), (3,5), (5,3) and (4,4);

Dear Bunuel, my question pertains to the quoted text.

My reasoning to get sum 8 is:
Select any 5 numbers from first dice ie. probability: 5/6
To make the sum 8, only a unique number is to be chosen from 2nd dice. Hence the probability of selecting 1 number in second dice is : 1/6
Probability for sum 8 is 5/6^2. However I multiplied this number by 2 since you can perform the same task by selecting the second dice first and choosing a corresponding unique value in 1st dice.
Net probability is 5*2/6^2, but i believe this is wrong. Please let me know under what situations do we employ my understanding. Sorry if it is a silly question. Thank you for your time.

--
Piyush Jain
GMAT Debrief | Personal Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 05:15
I've done other problems in which the answer would simply come out from

1/2 + (1/2)(5/36)

That is first probability that we get an even number = 1/2
Second probability that we DON'T get an even number * Probability that we get a sum of 8 = (1/2)*(5/36)

Answer should be sum of both

Could someone please clarify why this approach is NOT valid?
Thanks!
Cheers
J :)
Re: Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2014, 05:15