Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two genes BRCA1 and BRCA2 are linked to hereditary breast

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 22

Two genes BRCA1 and BRCA2 are linked to hereditary breast [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 12:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

50% (02:13) correct 50% (00:53) wrong based on 22 sessions
Two genes BRCA1 and BRCA2 are linked to hereditary breast cancer. Therefore in order to decrease the annual number of mammogram tests administered across a population and to more accurately assess a woman's individual risk of breast cancer, all women should be tested for these genes.

Which of the following is the assumption?

A. Some women who are tested for the two genes will subsequently undergo mammograms on a less frequent basis than they used to.
B. The majority of breast cancer patients have no family history of the disease.
C. Researchers may have identified a third breast cancer gene that is linked with hereditary breast cancer.
D. Women who have these genes have an 90% chance of getting breast cancer while women who don't have these genes have only a 20% chance of getting breast cancer.
E. The presence of BRCA1 and BRCA 2 can explain upto to 50% of hereditary cases

OA l8r

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Challanging CR - Two genes [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 18:59
D is clean here.

D is more of a strengthening choice too explaining the fact that the number of tests will reduce and the accuracy will increase too.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Challanging CR - Two genes [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 21:59
A. Some women who are tested for the two genes will subsequently undergo mammograms on a less frequent basis than they used to -this is partial- and weak. it says some women(not most), and it doesnt talk at all of "more accurately assess a woman's individual risk of breast cancer"
B. The majority of breast cancer patients have no family history of the disease.: This cant be an assumption as it will be weakening to the argument, so it cant be something that the argument depends on.
C. Researchers may have identified a third breast cancer gene that is linked with hereditary breast cancer.: Similar to B, this will actually be weakening to the argument
D. Women who have these genes have an 90% chance of getting breast cancer while women who don't have these genes have only a 20% chance of getting breast cancer. this brings into picture that even if there are reasons beyond the presence of these two genes, the instances are rarer. Therefore, it is a correct assumption.
E. The presence of BRCA1 and BRCA 2 can explain upto to 50% of hereditary cases upto 50%- very weak. as there would still be a lot of cases in which there wouldnt be this gene and the risk would still be there, which means testing for these genes cant accurately help assess the risk of breast cancer in more than 50% of the cases! incorrect.

Answer should be D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Challanging CR - Two genes [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 23:57
amit2k9 wrote:
D is clean here.

D is more of a strengthening choice too explaining the fact that the number of tests will reduce and the accuracy will increase too.

How is D talking about reduction in number of tests?

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Challanging CR - Two genes [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 00:03
Guys
Can I atleast know the conclusion here which needs to be supported and defended here?
I am now facing a big problem in demarcating in the conclusion itself here :oops:

Followers: 172

Kudos [?]: 1518 [0], given: 610

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Challanging CR - Two genes [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 07:19
Expert's post
i find it in about 1.10 the time to read all the question.

So, I think in somehow you overcalculate sometimes and I see this through your post. :)

Think in this way.

We have the passage, and you must tackle the Cr (or almost this kind) so:

Two genes BRCA1 and BRCA2 are linked to hereditary breast cancer - PREMISE

Therefore in order to decrease the annual number of mammogram tests administered across a population and to more accurately assess a woman's individual risk of breast cancer, all women should be tested for these genes - CONCLUSION

But in this latter trying to go to the core of the question and eliminate the verbose part that put you in the wrong way or confuse you. In this case you read only the part in bold

After this I do in that way: I read A and if cuold be good i hold it, if does not have nothing or add unuseful information...delete. without doubt.

I read B and so on.......in this way you have for sure 2 or at most 3 choice and so you can pick between these.

NOW: in this case thanks to the premise that says us: who have this 2 kind of genes could have breast cancer --------> all women should be tested for these genes.

Here I see more clear that the only bridge that binds the two things is ONLY who has this markers - in medical meaning - has more risk to became a sick person, so make a mammogram e bla bla bla..........

To sum up, who has this genes should do the mammogram because have an high risk to fall ill.......who not could help to reduce the cost binds with the use and/or abuse of mammogram and weigh on health sector

indeed the correct answer is D

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 236

Kudos [?]: 576 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Challanging CR - Two genes [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 11:56
This post received
KUDOS
joshnsit wrote:
Two genes BRCA1 and BRCA2 are linked to hereditary breast cancer. Therefore in order to decrease the annual number of mammogram tests administered across a population and to more accurately assess a woman's individual risk of breast cancer, all women should be tested for these genes.

Which of the following is the assumption?

A. Some women who are tested for the two genes will subsequently undergo mammograms on a less frequent basis than they used to.
B. The majority of breast cancer patients have no family history of the disease.
C. Researchers may have identified a third breast cancer gene that is linked with hereditary breast cancer.
D. Women who have these genes have an 90% chance of getting breast cancer while women who don't have these genes have only a 20% chance of getting breast cancer.
E. The presence of BRCA1 and BRCA 2 can explain upto to 50% of hereditary cases

OA l8r

I'm not sure why D is so popular in the above posts. I imagine the people posting above were answering the question "which of the following, if true, would strengthen the argument" and not "which of the following is an assumption in the argument". Those are very different questions.

This is a kind of 'policy proposal' question, where we have a recommended course of action intended to achieve a certain goal. The conclusion here is that "all women should be tested for these genes", and one of the goals is to 'decrease the annual number of mammogram tests'. The assumption must be that testing for these genes will lead to fewer mammogram tests, which is what A says.

D cannot possibly be the assumption here. For one thing, the data given is too precise. You would never need to assume that precisely *90%* of women with these genes get breast cancer for the conclusion to be valid; even if that percentage were relevant to the question (which it isn't) there's no reason we need to assume the percentage is equal to 90.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Challanging CR - Two genes [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 17:10
I think the correct answer is A, becuase it is the bare minimum truth required to validate the conclusion. D should flash across as a red herring because nowhere in the stimulus anything related to percentage is mentioned.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Challanging CR - Two genes [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 17:28
subhashghosh wrote:
I think the correct answer is A, becuase it is the bare minimum truth required to validate the conclusion. D should flash across as a red herring because nowhere in the stimulus anything related to percentage is mentioned.

Thanks for this discussion guys. Ian made it much clearer than the actual OE I have.
The OA is A.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Challanging CR - Two genes [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 23:03
Oh man !! Yes D is strengthening answer choice,as I mentioned this in my earlier post too.
yes A is indeed the assumption here,thereby confirming that at least some woman will have lesser frequency of tests taken.

A is indeed the answer here.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Followers: 172

Kudos [?]: 1518 [0], given: 610

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Challanging CR - Two genes [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 11:28
Expert's post
mmmmmm

I was quite sure about D. :(

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Challanging CR - Two genes [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 04:30
A. Keeping the scope of the conclusion in mind helped me with this one. Since the goal is to reduce mammogram tests the correct answer choice must relate to tests in some way.

Sent from my Slapchop

Re: Challanging CR - Two genes   [#permalink] 31 May 2011, 04:30