Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two hours after X leaves college, Y leaves his home

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 30

Two hours after X leaves college, Y leaves his home [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 21:48
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (02:06) correct 75% (01:27) wrong based on 104 sessions
Two hours after X leaves college, Y leaves his home to intercept him. If Y travels twice as fast as X, how long will it take Y to meet X?

(1) X's college is 50 miles due north of Y’s home

(2) Y’s rate is 30 mph
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 2

Re: Two hours after X leaves college, Y leaves his home [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 23:04
This post received
KUDOS
I have some doubts about OA.
If the distance is straight line the answer is C.
But if we have a curve road the answer is E.
Thus, I am sure that the question should explicitly state about the type of line (i.e. road) that connects two facilities. In our case it does not say anything thus E.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 30

Re: Two hours after X leaves college, Y leaves his home [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 23:12
Sergiy wrote:
I have some doubts about OA.
If the distance is straight line the answer is C.
But if we have a curve road the answer is E.
Thus, I am sure that the question should explicitly state about the type of line (i.e. road) that connects two facilities. In our case it does not say anything thus E.

OE-

Statement (1) only provides us with distance between their starting points and doesn’t give us any rate, and therefore is insufficient. Eliminate A and D.

Statement (2) gives us the rate, but no distance.

If we take both statements together we still don’t know if they are taking the same route. All we know is the shortest possible distance between X and Y ,but we but we have no information that would tell us that they are taking that route and therefore cannot answer the question. On Data Sufficiency, they often leave out information they know you’ll assume in order to trick you into picking the wrong answer.

does this question fit into GMAT style ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 22

Re: Two hours after X leaves college, Y leaves his home [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 23:56
gmatquant25 wrote:
Two hours after X leaves college, Y leaves his home to intercept him. If Y travels twice as fast as X, how long will it take Y to meet X?

(2) Y’s rate is 30 mph

very nice question. Although simple, question attacks the understanding and thus a gmat style.

We don't know X's route so cant comment on where and when they will meet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 33

Re: Two hours after X leaves college, Y leaves his home [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 09:54
Until now I have never come across a quant question in RTD that adopts such an approach ( almost similar to assumption question type in CR!)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 134

Re: Two hours after X leaves college, Y leaves his home [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 12:48

Speed Y = 2x

There are two problems here. a.) I wouldn't put it past the GMAT to trick us by saying the distance between x and home is 50 miles but the route traveled is longer than 50 miles. b.) Though we know that Y travels twice as fast as X, we don't know what speed Y travels at. For example, X may travel at 1 mile/hour and Y may travel at 2 miles/hour or X may travel at 10 miles/hour and Y at 20 miles/hour. Obviously, depending on the rate they travel at, the time it takes them to meet will vary.
INSUFFICIENT

(2) Y’s rate is 30 mph

This tells us Y's rate (and X's as well, given the information in the stem) but we know nothing about the distance they both travel.
INSUFFICIENT

1+2)

I think the "due north" bit should raise some red flags in people's mind. This is an uncommon way to refer to distance in any real application. For example, when I refer to the distance from NYC to Boston (a route I travel often) I don't mean the distance they are from one another in a straight line, but rather the distance they are from one another by the road way or in my case, the train tracks. Straight line distance is meaningless unless you're taking a helicopter or plane, something I doubt comes into play with X and Y! :-D

That being said, unless we know the actual distance they traveled, we cannot solve for this problem.
INSUFFICIENT

(E)
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 299

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Two hours after X leaves college, Y leaves his home [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 06:34
gmatquant25 wrote:

(2) Y’s rate is 30 mph

Thing is we don't know towards what direction is X walking. If X is walking towards Y's home it will be different as if X is walking away from Y's home.
We don't have this info in any of the statements

So clear E for me

Hope it helps
Cheers!
J :)
Re: Two hours after X leaves college, Y leaves his home   [#permalink] 31 Dec 2013, 06:34