Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 06:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two oil cans,X and Y,are right circular cylinders,and the he

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Two oil cans,X and Y,are right circular cylinders,and the he [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 01:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:16) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 16 sessions
Two oil cans,X and Y,are right circular cylinders,and the height and the radius of Y are both twice those of X.if the oil can X,which is filled to capacity,sells for $2,them at the same rate,how much does the oil can Y sell for if Y is filled to only half its capacity?

A.$1 B.$2 C.$3 D.$4 E.$8

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 22

Re: Two oil cans,X and Y,are right circular cylinders,and the he [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 01:51
Let us suppose the radius and height of can X are r and h respectively. So the radius and height of can Y will be 2r and 2h respectively.
Volume of X = 3.14 * r^2 * h
Volume of Y = 3.14 * (2r)^2 * 2h = 8 * 3.14 * r^2 * h = 8 times of X's volume.
Since X is sold for $2, and Y is filled to only half of its capacity, Y will be sold for 4 * $2 ( half of Y's volume = 8/2 * X's volume ) = $8.
Hence E is the answer.
Please provide Kudos if you like my explanation.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Two oil cans,X and Y,are right circular cylinders,and the he [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 02:20
no doubt at abhii6 you..you deserve a kudos.. +1 for nice reply..hey i have never done a kudos before but i guess thats how it is done..if not then please tell me i will readily redo it

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 22

Re: Two oil cans,X and Y,are right circular cylinders,and the he [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 02:39
Thanks Frazer for the Kudos.
Re: Two oil cans,X and Y,are right circular cylinders,and the he   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2013, 02:39