Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 05:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two-Part Analysis

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Two-Part Analysis [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 01:31
Dear All,

I was doing a free online practice test which I found through this website (Veritas GMAT Prep). I had a final score of 520 and need to get a total of 600. Where I missed out on massively - and actually did not get any of them right - were the two-part analysis questions in the quantitative section. I seriously struggled with these. I was also surprised to see them as I've purchased the Official GMAT Preperation guide and had never come across two-part analysis questions in the book.
My questions to you are:

1) Will these come up in the GMAT to such a large extent? (I believe 8/12 questions of one section were two-part analysis questions)

2) How do I solve them?
EG For all real values of x, the function (f)x = (x^2-4)^-1. Select one value for v and one value for w that fulfills the condition that f(v)=w.

v----------w
------------------- -1/4
------------------- 1/4
------------------- 1/3

I hope this makes any sense.
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 126

Premium Member
Re: Two-Part Analysis [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 06:09
1) Two part analysis is not part of the quantitative section, but part of integrated reasoning. This means that none of the two part analysis questions will count towards your score out of 800. They will count towards your integrated reasoning score which is out of 8. But yes, expect to see a few of them in the IR portion of the GMAT>

2) Easiest way to solve this is to just plug in numbers. The easiest thing to do first is let v= 0. Then w = -1/4, and it looks like we've already go the answer. But to be sure, you should let v = other choices as well, and you'll quickly figure out there's no correct choice for w for those given choices.

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5040 [0], given: 164

Re: Two-Part Analysis [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 22:56
Expert's post
herbertvl wrote:
Dear All,

I was doing a free online practice test which I found through this website (Veritas GMAT Prep). I had a final score of 520 and need to get a total of 600. Where I missed out on massively - and actually did not get any of them right - were the two-part analysis questions in the quantitative section. I seriously struggled with these. I was also surprised to see them as I've purchased the Official GMAT Preperation guide and had never come across two-part analysis questions in the book.
My questions to you are:

1) Will these come up in the GMAT to such a large extent? (I believe 8/12 questions of one section were two-part analysis questions)

2) How do I solve them?
EG For all real values of x, the function (f)x = (x^2-4)^-1. Select one value for v and one value for w that fulfills the condition that f(v)=w.

v----------w
------------------- -1/4
------------------- 1/4
------------------- 1/3

I hope this makes any sense.

Here is a discussion on two part analysis questions which are a part of the IR section, not the Quant section.
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/10 ... questions/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Two-Part Analysis   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2013, 22:56