Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 03:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

two questions) Magazine editor: I know that some of our

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

two questions) Magazine editor: I know that some of our [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 04:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
(two questions)
Magazine editor: I know that some of our regular advertisers have been pressuring us to give favorable mention to their products in our articles, but they should realize that for us to yield to their wishes would actually be against their interests. To remain an effective advertising vehicle, we must have loyal readership, and we would soon lost that readership if our readers suspect that our editorial integrity has been compromised by pandering to advertisers.

Advertising-sales director: You underestimate the sophistication of our readers. They recognize that the advertisements we carry are not articles, so their response to the advertisements has never depended on their opinion of the editorial integrity of the magazine as a whole.

1 Which one of the following is the most accurate assessment of the advertising-sales director’s argument as a response to the magazine editor’s argument?

(A) It succeeds because it shows that the editor’s argument depends on an unwarranted assumption about factors affecting an advertisement’s effectiveness.

(B) It success because it exposes as mistaken the editor’s estimation of the sophistication of the magazine’s readers.

(C) It succeeds because it undermines the editor’s claim about how the magazine’s editorial integrity would be affected by allowing advertisers to influence articles.

(D) It fails because the editor’s argument does not depend on any assumption about readers’ response to the advertisements they see in the magazine.

(E) It fails because it is based on a misunderstanding of the editor’s view about how readers respond to advertisements they see in the magazine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 The magazine editor’s argument assumes which one of the following?

(A) A magazine editor should never be influenced in the performance of his or her professional duties by the wishes of the companies that regularly advertise in the magazine.

(B) The magazine cannot give any favorable mention in its articles to its regular advertisers without compromising its reputation for editorial integrity.

(C) Favorable mention of their products in the magazine’s articles is of less value to the advertisers than is the continued effectiveness of the magazine as an advertising vehicle.

(D) Giving favorable mention to a product in a magazine article is a more effective form of advertising than is an explicit advertisement for the product in the same magazine.

(E) Carrying paid advertisements can never pose any threat to the magazine’s reputation for editorial integrity nor to the loyalty of its readership.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 04:50
1 (D) (it is between (D) and (E) )
The editor never mentions anything about readers distiguishing between ads and articles. He just said that the presence of ads will be detremental to the reputation of the magazine.

2 (B)
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 09:59
1) D
2) Is very tricky.
(A) A magazine editor should never be influenced in the performance of his or her professional duties by the wishes of the companies that regularly advertise in the magazine.
Too strong to be the answer.

(B) The magazine cannot give any favorable mention in its articles to its regular advertisers without compromising its reputation for editorial integrity.
Too strong to be the answer. Giving favorable opinion does not mean "pandering" to the advertisers always.

(C) Favorable mention of their products in the magazine’s articles is of less value to the advertisers than is the continued effectiveness of the magazine as an advertising vehicle.

We wil revisit this

(D) Giving favorable mention to a product in a magazine article is a more effective form of advertising than is an explicit advertisement for the product in the same magazine.
The editor does not say this or assume this

(E) Carrying paid advertisements can never pose any threat to the magazine’s reputation for editorial integrity nor to the loyalty of its readership.
Too strong to be the answer.

C) On reading this choice again, I think this could be the answer. Once you read this carefully and think about this, you will figure it out.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 22:07
anandnk wrote:
The editor never mentions anything about readers distiguishing between ads and articles. He just said that the presence of ads will be detremental to the reputation of the magazine.

2 (B)

Hi, in the first question, does the readers' suspection not mean the readers' response to the ad?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 09:20
chunjuwu wrote:
anandnk wrote:

2 (B)

Hi, in the first question, does the readers' suspection not mean the readers' response to the ad?

The readers are not responding to the ad. The magazine editor says that ADs are enough and the magazine should not write favourable articles for certain products or companies. If readers read such articles then the readers look down upon the integrity of the magazine publishers.

The AD might be very convincing or great but the magazine carrying such AD puts off the reader because the reader is probably subscribing to the magazine for the quality of the articles and not for the ADs.
If the articles also start sounding like ADs then the reader will be upset.

what is the OA by the way?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 09:56
D & B as well

Second one is lot trickier than the first

Praveen

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 00:22
Magazine editor:
1) I know that some of our regular advertisers have been pressuring us to give favorable mention to their products in our articles
2) But they should realize that for us to yield to their wishes would actually be against their interests.
3) To remain an effective advertising vehicle, we must have loyal readership,
4) we would soon lost that readership if our readers suspect that our editorial integrity has been compromised by pandering to advertisers.

Advertising-sales director:
1) You underestimate the sophistication of our readers.
2) They recognize that the advertisements we carry are not articles
3) So their response to the advertisements has never depended on their opinion of the editorial integrity of the magazine as a whole.

1 Which one of the following is the most accurate assessment of the advertising-sales director’s argument as a response to the magazine editor’s argument?

(E) It fails because it is based on a misunderstanding of the editor’s view about how readers respond to advertisements they see in the magazine.
- This should be the answer. It misunderstands the stand of the editor. The editor is stressing on response to the magazine (readership) while the director is stressing on response to the advertisement itself.

E it is.

2 The magazine editor’s argument assumes which one of the following?

The editor's conclusion is "readership would be lost if the readers suspect that the editorial integrity has been compromised by pandering to advertisers. ". We need an assumption to make this conclusion true (i.e. how readership would be lost if intergrity has been compromised)

- Out. Does not hold up the conclusion

- If this is true, then favorable mention would indeed hurt the integrity of the editorial board and thus readership could be affected.

- out of scope

- out of scope

- weakens the conclusoin.

B it is.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 10:11
For 1, the magzine editor was talking about favorable mentioning in the articles, not in the ads. Therefore D is correct.

For 2, I'm between B and C too.

"We should not favorably mention their products in our articles because we will lose readership if the readers suspect our editorial integrity is compromised." I'm not sure whether the editor himself agree that favorable mentioning means that the integrity is compromised though.

C seems to be correct since he said that Company should not want to go for favorable mentioning and to forgo the long term effectiveness. This can only be true if the Company values long term effectiveness more than favorable mentioning.

So my choice would be C.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 03:43
Great, HongHu

OA is D, C

BTW, Thanks anand
  [#permalink] 29 Mar 2005, 03:43