Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 00:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

two states have different rules for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
two states have different rules for [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 03:10
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Shouldn't the possible combination for state A be : 23*26*26*9*9*9*9

Official Answers in Green

Attachments

ir1.JPG
ir1.JPG [ 71 KiB | Viewed 508 times ]

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2120 [1] , given: 30

Re: two states have different rules for [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 11:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Dear Sachin9,

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

This IR question is essentially a double "counting" problem. You may find this blog helpful:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-quant-how-to-count/
That article discusses the FCP --- I will use this in both problems.

In State A, a license plate has 7 digits. The first 3 digits are letters, but the first letter cannot be an A, B, or C. The remaining digits are ll numbers and zeros are not allowed.
First of all, here's my literal reading of the problem.
For the first slot has 23 possibilities (every letter except A, B, or C). Each of the next two has 26 possibilities --- there is no information forbidding repeat letters. MMM could be a legitimate choice for the first three letters. Then, for each of the remaining four slots, the number slots, there are 9 possibilities in each, every number except zero. This yields a total number of possibilities of
23*26*26*9*9*9*9 = 23*(26^2)*(9^4)

What you say in the spoiler section is 100% correct. We completely agree on this calculation.

I think the problem is the font or layout in this question box. Specifically, when they write
262*94*23
I think what they are trying to say is
(26^2)*(9^4)*23

Throughout the answer choices, wherever 263 appears, apparently they mean 26^3, and wherever 94 appears, apparently they mean 9^4. That the only thing that makes the OA make any sense as all.

You didn't specify a source for this question. I would say --- if they can't even print exponents correctly, I would consider this prep source about as valuable as elephant droppings. Run away. There are enough good prep sources that it doesn't make sense to waste time with junk that will just confuse you. That's my advice.

Let me know if you have any further questions involving these calculations.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: two states have different rules for [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 19:06
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear Sachin9,

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

This IR question is essentially a double "counting" problem. You may find this blog helpful:
That article discusses the FCP --- I will use this in both problems.

In State A, a license plate has 7 digits. The first 3 digits are letters, but the first letter cannot be an A, B, or C. The remaining digits are ll numbers and zeros are not allowed.
First of all, here's my literal reading of the problem.
For the first slot has 23 possibilities (every letter except A, B, or C). Each of the next two has 26 possibilities --- there is no information forbidding repeat letters. MMM could be a legitimate choice for the first three letters. Then, for each of the remaining four slots, the number slots, there are 9 possibilities in each, every number except zero. This yields a total number of possibilities of
23*26*26*9*9*9*9 = 23*(26^2)*(9^4)

What you say in the spoiler section is 100% correct. We completely agree on this calculation.

I think the problem is the font or layout in this question box. Specifically, when they write
262*94*23
I think what they are trying to say is
(26^2)*(9^4)*23

Throughout the answer choices, wherever 263 appears, apparently they mean 26^3, and wherever 94 appears, apparently they mean 9^4. That the only thing that makes the OA make any sense as all.

You didn't specify a source for this question. I would say --- if they can't even print exponents correctly, I would consider this prep source about as valuable as elephant droppings. Run away. There are enough good prep sources that it doesn't make sense to waste time with junk that will just confuse you. That's my advice.

Let me know if you have any further questions involving these calculations.

Thanks Mike :) for confirming.. Bad Question I would say or rather the formatting has been bad as pointed out by you.

Source is Veritas Prep Free CAT. I don't see any placeholder where I can tag the source now.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 03-03-2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: two states have different rules for [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 07:30
Thanks for the explanation...
I was wondering how this can be solved as my solution was not matching with the answers....

Thanks
crazy4priya
GMATPrep 1 710/Q49/V38
GMATPrep 2 690/Q49/V34
Veritas Prep 700/Q50/V36/IR5
MGMT Test 1 700/Q51/V35/IR3

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2120 [0], given: 30

Re: two states have different rules for [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 09:35
Expert's post
crazypriya wrote:
I was wondering how this can be solved as my solution was not matching with the answers....

Dear Crazy Priya,

First of all, did you read my post about how the formatting is incorrect in the question slide, so that what appears as "263" really should be 26^3"? That's a big different.

If you understand what the answers are supposed to say, then
(1) the correct answer for State A is (26^2)*(9^4)*23
(2) the correct answer for State B is (26^2)*(9^4)/26, which also can be written as 26*25*(9^4)
If that's what you got, your correct.
If you didn't get these answers, then one would get these using the Fundamental Counting Principle, explained in this blog article:

If, after reading that blog, you still have questions, let me know, and I'll demonstrate a full solution for this problem.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 03-03-2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: two states have different rules for [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 20:27
mikemcgarry wrote:
crazypriya wrote:

Dear Crazy Priya,

First of all, did you read my post about how the formatting is incorrect in the question slide, so that what appears as "263" really should be 26^3"? That's a big different.

If you understand what the answers are supposed to say, then
(1) the correct answer for State A is (26^2)*(9^4)*23
(2) the correct answer for State B is (26^2)*(9^4)/26, which also can be written as 26*25*(9^4)
If that's what you got, your correct.
If you didn't get these answers, then one would get these using the Fundamental Counting Principle, explained in this blog article:

If, after reading that blog, you still have questions, let me know, and I'll demonstrate a full solution for this problem.

Hi Mike,

Yeah i understood your explanation...I was correct with my solution but just got confused with answer choices....bt nw I have understood it...
Re: two states have different rules for   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2013, 20:27