Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two things are true of all immoral actions. First, if they

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 667 [2] , given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Two things are true of all immoral actions. First, if they [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 23:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

12% (01:56) correct 88% (01:29) wrong based on 36 sessions
Two things are true of all immoral actions. First, if they are performed in public, they offend public sensibilities. Second, they are accompanied by feelings of guilt. If all the statements above are true, then which one of the following must be false?

(A) Some immoral actions that are not performed in public are not accompanied by feelings of guilt.
(B) Immoral actions are wrong solely by virtue of being accompanied by feelings of guilt.
(C) Some actions that offend public sensibilities if they are performed in public are not accompanied by feelings of guilt.
(D) Some actions that are accompanied by feelings of guilt are not immoral, even if they frequently offend public sensibilities.
(E) Every action performed in public that is accompanied by feelings of guilt is immoral.

Do you have a better way to solve such problems?
Prize money - Tonnes of Kuddos :idea:

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 01:12
IMO D

One thing I did was to forget that the question was about FALSE ...just read each choice ....is it Must be TRUE or MUST be False ....in this way ...A,B,C just simple are neither .....D is definitely MUST be False because this is what is stated in the argument

btw: i like your display ...i got a lil distracted by it ..in case my answer is not correct thats my excuse :)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 64 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 01:39
This post received
KUDOS
ykaiim wrote:
Two things are true of all immoral actions. First, if they are performed in public, they offend public sensibilities. Second, they are accompanied by feelings of guilt. If all the statements above are true, then which one of the following must be false?

Argument Simplified: All As(immoral actions) have X (X If M is TRUE)and Y. Here M : Immoral action performed in public
Y: accompanied by feelings of guilt
X : Offend public sensibilities

So, If M is False, then >> All As have Y.

(A) Some immoral actions that are not performed in public are not accompanied by feelings of guilt. >>> A should have Y. >>> correct
(B) Immoral actions are wrong solely by virtue of being accompanied by feelings of guilt. >>> May be ..May not be..!!
(C) Some actions that offend public sensibilities if they are performed in public are not accompanied by feelings of guilt. >>> We are talking about immoral actions. It may or may not be true
(D) Some actions that are accompanied by feelings of guilt are not immoral, even if they frequently offend public sensibilities. >>> We are talking about immoral actions.
(E) Every action performed in public that is accompanied by feelings of guilt is immoral.>>> Every action, If M is true and Y is true, is A. I don't think it's is "MUST" be false case.

What's the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 02:02
Two things are true of all immoral actions.-> they are accompanied by feelings of guilt.
So, all immoral actions accompany feelings of guilt.
A counters the claim. Hence it should be the right answer.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 667 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 03:27
OA is A.

nverma,
I couldnt understand the logic below. Can you please explain more on this?

nverma wrote:
ykaiim wrote:

Argument Simplified: All As(immoral actions) have X (X If M is TRUE)and Y. Here M : Immoral action performed in public

(A) Some immoral actions that are not performed in public are not accompanied by feelings of guilt. >>> A should have Y. >>> correct
(B) Immoral actions are wrong solely by virtue of being accompanied by feelings of guilt. >>> May be ..May not be..!!
(C) Some actions that offend public sensibilities if they are performed in public are not accompanied by feelings of guilt. >>> We are talking about immoral actions. It may or may not be true
(D) Some actions that are accompanied by feelings of guilt are not immoral, even if they frequently offend public sensibilities. >>> We are talking about immoral actions.
(E) Every action performed in public that is accompanied by feelings of guilt is immoral.>>> Every action, If M is true and Y is true, is A. I don't think it's is "MUST" be false case.

What's the OA.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Last edited by ykaiim on 20 May 2010, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 324

Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 04:15
This post received
KUDOS
nverma wrote:

What's the OA.

nverma ur the Savior i was really suffering with these type of questions ur explanation helped to solve this question accurately and that too pin point... thanku dude.... :-D
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
ykaiim wrote:
OA is A.

nverma,
I couldnt understand the logic below. Can you please explain more on this?

nverma wrote:
ykaiim wrote:

What's the OA.

@ ykaiim

Let me try again.

All immoral actions needs to have two features/subset.
>>>> if they are performed in public, they offend public sensibilities.
>>>> They are accompanied by feelings of guilt.

Let the immoral actions be called A.
So all As (actions..plural) should have two features.

Let the first feature be X >>>> X means >>> Offend public sensibilities...so immoral should affect the public sentiments.
X is only true >>> if M is true, where M is : Immoral act in public,.

So A can have X (Offend public sensibilities), if M is TRUE (Immoral act has been done in public)

Let the second feature be Y >>>> Y means >>> accompanied by feelings of guilt...so immoral should be accompanied by feelings of guilt..

So A will COMPULSORILY have Y (accompanied by feelings of guilt) in all the instances of moral acts.

Look at option A: M is False (Immoral act has NOT been done in public), so X may or not be TRUE.

If X then >>>M,
But if NO M, X may or may not be there.

Given: Y is NOT there.

But every A (immoral act) should have X and Y. and the option A states that Y is not there..!!
so A must be False.

I hope it helps..otherwise revert.

This is Kinda objective logic implemented to subjective case.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 04:57
RaviChandra wrote:
nverma wrote:

What's the OA.

nverma ur the Savior i was really suffering with these type of questions ur explanation helped to solve this question accurately and that too pin point... thanku dude.... :-D

I was fed up with these kinda question...And this is the first time i have used this objective analogy to explain a subjective argument. I intend to try this method in complex cases..!!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 12:29
very well explained by nverma.

it looked so simple after nverma's explanation.

however, the downside is the ability to quickly apply such objective logic to subjective cases.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 06:35
seekmba wrote:
very well explained by nverma.

it looked so simple after nverma's explanation.

however, the downside is the ability to quickly apply such objective logic to subjective cases.

nverma that was great explanation !!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 148

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 00:05
Great explanation NVERMA, thank you !

I would like to demonstrate this through an equation

A=M*X+Y, if M=0 -> A=Y - this is true for all A cases (immoral actions).

answer choice A says us that A<>Y (A does not equal to Y), this contradicts the equation A=Y.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 21:44
nverma that was great explanation

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 23:42
good explanation but i cannot agree with one thing .........How is that immoral actions don't have guilt ........every immoral action is accompanied by guilt ......

MY answer B
Retired Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 00:17
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 02:26
Nicely explained. I agree with A

Regards
Ganesh
Class of 2012
Great Lakes Institute of Management
http://greatlakes.edu.in

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 05:02
nice explanation
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 05:02
I picked A too
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 08:34
wow, I thought it was must be true :D pulling my hair wondering how A is right :/
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 12:03
A it is...
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

Re: Immoral actions [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 21:54
Kudos to nverma. It took me good 2+ min to figure out that A was the answer.

-AD

Re: Immoral actions   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2010, 21:54