Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 21:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two week study plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 5.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Two week study plan [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 18:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I just took my GMAT, and wanted to share my two-week study plan. I think this is for those who work as much as I do during a normal week (~70 hours), and don't have much time to study. I essentially took 2 weeks off work, and did nothing but the GMAT. It was a boring two weeks, but the good news is, I did what I needed to do (scored 760, V 42, M 51, AW 5.5) and it was only two weeks of my life :lol:

Also note - this works well for people who have a good base (~600) and want to get over the 700 hump. This is also tailored to people who are already scoring well on math but want to perfect, and okay on verbal, but need to improve their score in order to get over 700. But this may not be the best way to study for people who don't fit this background.

Day 1-7 were focused on seeing the GMAT questions, understanding them, and knowing each of the sections really well. I did not worry about putting things together yet.
Day 1: Started GMAT Review OG chapter introductions for a basic introduction into the material
Day 2: Started Princeton Review GMAT study main guide chapter introductions for strategies and tactics
Day 3 - Day 7: Did a chapter out of GMAT Review OG and a chapter out of Princeton Review GMAT each day, alternating topics, focused on the verbal sections (spend ~2 hours in each book per day). Also read 2 chapters a day in the 3 Manhattan GMAT verbal guides (spend ~2 hour in each book per day). Comprehension took only ~1 hour, while sentence correction took ~3 hours. Balanced out to ~10 hours per day of GMAT for the first week. This is intense, but it is meant so that the second week goes better.

Day 8 -14 were focused on taking practice tests, reading AW writing topics, and doing tricky problems in math. The studying was ~6-8 hours a day. Enough time for extra studying on questions commonly missed on your practice tests if you choose to study on top of the 6-8 hours.
Day 8: Manhattan GMAT practice CAT #1 - go through all questions answered incorrectly. Do SC online question bank on MGMAT. Do MGMAT book 4 word translation hard problems.
Day 9: Manhattan GMAT practice CAT #2 - go through all questions answered incorrectly. Do RC online question bank on MGMAT. Do MGMAT book 5 geometry hard problems.
Day 10: Manhattan GMAT practice CAT #3 - go through all questions answered incorrectly. Do CR online question bank on MGMAT. Do Princeton Review Level 4 hard math problems.
Day 11: Manhattan GMAT practice CAT #4 - go through all questions answered incorrectly. Do OG verbal review problems. Choose 20 from each section. This helps you take everything you've learned, and put in context of real problems from the GMAT.
Day 12: Manhattan GMAT practice CAT #5 - go through all questions answered incorrectly. Do OG verbal review problems. Choose 20 from each section. This helps you take everything you've learned, and put in context of real problems from the GMAT.
Day 13: Complete 2 GMAT Prep practice test in CD that comes with registering for GMAT. No answer explanations on these CDs unfortunately. So take the two tests with a lunch break in between, and just see how you do. You can't really "study" off of them other than know your level, your timing, and your approximate score. See which questions you missed, and try to brush up. Don't do these on the last day of studying - do it on the second to last day, so you have another day to study if this doesn't work out too well.
Day 14 (the day before the test): Manhattan GMAT practice CAT #6 - go through all questions answered incorrectly. See if there's any last minute math formula you need to remember, one last CR question stem you need to review the strategy for, etc. Then take a deep breath, and RELAX AND SLEEP EARLY! Pretend tomorrow is just another "practice test" day to take off the pressure. You'll be so used to seeing the questions, your endurance has been built up in the past week, you are used to taking these exams, it's going to be easier than you imagined!

Hope this helps!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2221

Kudos [?]: 8225 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Two week study plan [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 20:46
Expert's post
Thanks! This is helpful. 2 weeks is really impressive.
Do you by any chance remember your diagnostic test score before you started?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Two week study plan [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 00:25
Great Plan. Will try it!
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 5.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Two week study plan [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 07:11
I took my diagnostic test probably on Day -5, about a week before I started my 2 week study plan. My background for the test came from reading about the different questions on the official GMAT website when I registered for the test. It also helped that I still remembered the SATs. My diagnostic test was a 630 (Q=44, V=30). Although I think my true starting level is more a ~670, since I make a couple silly mistakes in math.
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

Re: Two week study plan [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 08:18
It is a big achievement !!
Congrats.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User
Re: Two week study plan [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 08:22
rgong18,

Thanks that is really impressive. Just shows what two weeks of dedicated focus can do to your score.

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Two week study plan   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2010, 08:22