Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: YLP '18
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 23:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (02:07) correct 68% (01:42) wrong based on 158 sessions
Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark drug legislation to combat an explosion of illegal drug use in the country’s major cities. Primarily, the legislation created new controls for preventing the entry of illegal drugs from the neighboring country of Gordenia, a major producer of marijuana. However, there has been no major decrease in illegal drug use over the past year in the country’s major cities; in fact, drug use has gone up slightly in that period.

Which of the following, if true, explains how the drug legislation could have been successful despite the recent data?

(A)Most of the drug problems in Bedenia’s major cities involve drugs other than marijuana.
(B)Most illegal drug use in Bedenia occurs outside of the country’s major cities.
(C)Illegal drug use in cities dropped sharply immediately after the legislation was implemented
(D)Importation of marijuana decreased from countries other than Gordenia.
(E)Visits to drug treatment centers in the country’s major cities decreased dramatically following the legislation.

Why is the answer not (A)?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Gnpth on 17 Aug 2014, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.
formatted the topic
Manager
Manager
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 68

Premium Member
Re: Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 19:26
I think the answer should be C.
We were given information that drug legislation was implemented in Major cities. And also However, there has been no major decrease in illegal drug use over the past year in the country’s major cities;
Only option C fits here because for legislation to be successful , there has to be a decrease in illegal drugs.
"Illegal drug use in cities dropped sharply immediately after the legislation was implemented."
There is difference between Major cities and cities. By implementing this Legislation in major cities , it reduced illegal drug use in cities.
By the way, option A does not address the concern of why the government is successful . Hence wrong.
Hope this helps :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '17 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V42

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 06:58
I do agree with OP, while A and C are the most legitimate choices, I don't see why I'd go with C.

I don't agree with dheeraj24's reasoning. If we're making the distinction between cities and major cities, the stem says "Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark drug legislation to combat an explosion of illegal drug use in the country’s major cities". While the legislation happened to reduce usage in cities, it still did not fulfil it's goal of reducing usage in "major cities".
Manager
Manager
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 68

Premium Member
Re: Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 21:27
stoneshwar wrote:
I do agree with OP, while A and C are the most legitimate choices, I don't see why I'd go with C.

I don't agree with dheeraj24's reasoning. If we're making the distinction between cities and major cities, the stem says "Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark drug legislation to combat an explosion of illegal drug use in the country’s major cities". While the legislation happened to reduce usage in cities, it still did not fulfil it's goal of reducing usage in "major cities".

Hi Stoneshwar,

You have well followed the premises. The only reason you have to go with option C is that the question asks
"Which of the following, if true, explains how the drug legislation could have been successful despite the recent data?"
This is a type of "Implementing a Plan" type CR question.
Here the plan was to reduce the illegal drugs .For this plan to be successful, the correct argument should say that "illegal drug use reduced/dropped significantly after implementing the plan. Only Option C does that.
Hope this reasoning helps .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2014, 07:59
I also think A is the answer.
Can anyone comment on this?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 100

Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2014, 19:02
This post received
KUDOS
IMO, C is a better choice than A in this question because of the keywords "could have been successful despite recent data" in the question stem. This would indicate that recent data does not fully reflect whether it was successful at one point. It's looking for something that shows it actually did accomplish what it was meant to do...even if it didn't last.

Answer choice A doesn't explain how the plan was ever successful. It only explains why it wasn't. Marijuana usage isn't really the problem. It's part of the larger issue at hand, which is illegal drug usage.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 62

Re: Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2014, 20:01
This post received
KUDOS
The answer Should be C.
As per the premise the legislation was brought into effect two years ago. And Option C sates that there was a dramatic decrease in illegal drug use. This information makes the plan successful.
The premise further states that over the last year there has been no decrease in illegal drug use. So it is reasonable to infer that some other factor has been responsible for rise in drug use.
Re: Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2014, 20:01