Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 02:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

TwoThrones' Epic GMAT Journey!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: TwoThrones' Epic GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 19:38
Thank you everyone for your replies. I actually was out of town for 2 weeks and ended up postponing my retake.

Anyway, I enrolled in the Knewton class (thanks to everyone for the suggestion) and I just finished their first CAT exam.

660 81% Q42 59% V40 (89%)

I got 7 questions wrong in Quant, but I still feel like I didn't put too much emphasis in that department. One thing I really respect from Knewton is their updated percentile and score ranking. Taking the MGMAT exams or GMAT Prep, the scores seem inflated. For example, scoring a Q47 V40 results in a 720 GMAT Prep score but could be a 690 on the actual exam. Knewton is less forgiving, and so does not give a false sense of hope.

As for my first prep, I did get about 8 hours of sleep the night before. I felt well rested and even brought a tuna sandwich, a granola bar, and water to the exam. Even though my scores were all over the place, I was extremely confident going into the exam, maybe too confident? Quant felt like a joke, and Verbal SC was easy, CR was okay, and RC was dang tough. Also, that experimental section fried my brain! I definitely need to take this exam before the change, because that section was downright scary. :shock:

Anyway, I feel much better about verbal after taking this exam. I love the Knewton course so far, I just started session 7. Are the supplemental videos/homework essential to success? I was thinking about doing them but may be pressed for time. All replies are appreciated.

GZR4DR, thanks for replying. I did do AWA's on my first 3 exams, then honestly realized what a waste of time they were (in terms of studying, not usefulness). Writing doesn't really bog me down and I never felt exhausted during my exam until that danged new section.

As for the Verbal being easier in GMAT Prep and MGMAT, I 100% agree. Thanks for all the replies. Let's keep each other motivated. I'm working on essays at the same time, and boy, they suck.

Update: I did get a 6.0 on AWA, not that it really uplifts my spirits or anything.

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: TwoThrones' Epic GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 22:28
two thrones;u hold a special place in my heart; we shared our test date 30 July- i was silently following ur journey; i also scored below my target and practice scores on that day- 680.

i retook in a month and salvaged some pride. check out my debrief.

BTW : u dnt need to take the supplemental knewton lessons only take the "verbals" one.

Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 35

Re: TwoThrones' Epic GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 19:10
good luck buddy. I'm scheduled to take my test the 8th of october. When are you retaking?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

Re: TwoThrones' Epic GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 21:06
Did you retake the exam? How did it go?
Re: TwoThrones' Epic GMAT Journey!   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2011, 21:06