Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Type of work experience.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Type of work experience. [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 10:09
Hi guys. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm new here.

I'm in my last year of a Pure Math Honours undergrad program. I will be graduating soon with ~3.6 gpa. I'm interested in obtaining an MBA in the future, but I want to get some work experience first. However, I don't really know what counts as work experience for an MBA application. Currently I work for an airline. I mainly load bags and whatnot onto aircraft, but there are certain things that I do that has a lot of responsibility associated with it. An example is towing/pushing the aircraft around (they have to be parked very close to each other overnight, and a slight misjudgment and I just made two 30+ million dollar aircraft collide :? ).

I'm wondering if this counts as relevant work experience, or do I need managerial experience? Ideally, I want to be a lead at my current job. The lead is basically the supervisor. He makes sure that everything we do with the planes goes smoothly. If I were to become one, certainly that would count as relevant experience? I want to work for at least 2-3 years before going back to get an MBA. Thanks for your help to whoever answers!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Type of work experience. [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 11:43
pushing planes is awesome....but the key is to show progression on the job. how many years did you spend pushing a twin seater before you were promoted to pushing, say, a 737. Also were you given hot opportunities such as pushing an A380? Since the adcom likes quantifiable info, you could use the price of an aircraft, the number of people it carries, or even wingspan as a metric...

lead pusher/supervisor is certainly a pre-mba job...just be sure to tell them how your math degree is helping you figure out optimal pushing paths and work schedules for your people...make a connection you know....

hope this helps...

Ditto wrote:

I'm in my last year of a Pure Math Honours undergrad program. I will be graduating soon with ~3.6 gpa. I'm interested in obtaining an MBA in the future, but I want to get some work experience first. However, I don't really know what counts as work experience for an MBA application. Currently I work for an airline. I mainly load bags and whatnot onto aircraft, but there are certain things that I do that has a lot of responsibility associated with it. An example is towing/pushing the aircraft around (they have to be parked very close to each other overnight, and a slight misjudgment and I just made two 30+ million dollar aircraft collide :? ).

I'm wondering if this counts as relevant work experience, or do I need managerial experience? Ideally, I want to be a lead at my current job. The lead is basically the supervisor. He makes sure that everything we do with the planes goes smoothly. If I were to become one, certainly that would count as relevant experience? I want to work for at least 2-3 years before going back to get an MBA. Thanks for your help to whoever answers!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Type of work experience. [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 18:59
Thanks for the reply. Our airline only has one type of aircraft, so there is only one type to push :wink: .
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Type of work experience. [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 01:29
Ditto wrote:

But something which the MBA adcoms will definitely question is you how you are able to use your undergraduate degree education in your current job? And why are you doing what you do? The why's are the most important. Lots of guys WANT an MBA, very few know 'Why' they want it. As you are still doing your undergrad, I suggest dig deep and decide on what you wish to work as and then take it from there. For all you know, you might not even need an MBA in life :) Just my $0.02
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Type of work experience. [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 20:06
Expert's post
Hi nikhilfotedar,

Thanks for posting and welcome to GMATClub. I agree with nikhilfotedar, it is very important that you understand why you want to pursue an MBA. If you have strong conviction, then this will come across in your application.

In regards to your work experience, business schools are looking for leaders who want to make an impact. You can do this in a number of fields (it doesn't need to only be in finance for example).

What is most important is that you identity what you would like to do in the future, and how an MBA can help you reach this goal. Remember, an MBA is not the end goal in and of itself.

I hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Re: Type of work experience.   [#permalink] 01 May 2011, 20:06