Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

types of EC for investment bankers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

types of EC for investment bankers [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 05:06
many applicant to MBA schools are from Investment banking / PE / consulting etc. which have very demanding working hours..(it is probably the case for most applicant but as far as I know IB people work more than 80-90 hours per week. So these guy should not have any time for comnutity service or any kind of EC activity for that matter.

what kind of EC, do these kind of applicant write? or will the adcom give less importance to EC for some specific work background..
thnx
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: types of EC for investment bankers [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 05:22
I don't think adcoms will give any less weight to ECs just because a finance person generally works more. They are slightly more forgiving but there are plenty of people who do work in those industries and still make time. Most of the people I know in banking will partake in mentoring, Big Brother / Big Sister, etc. It's often an activity that can be done over e-mail or requires 'lower touch' but has high impact.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross or Fuqua?
WE 1: Master of Science, including Masters Thesis
WE 2: 5 years at multiple Government Contractors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 6

Re: types of EC for investment bankers [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 05:38
I've found that while bankers and consultants may work a lot of hours, their firms are a bit more accommodating for ECs. Also, bankers and consultants are more likely to plan ahead for B-School and are more likely to get involved. Just my observations.

Engineering firms I've worked for required 60ish hours per week and ECs were outright discouraged. The companies didn't sponsor Cancer walks, Habitat outings, or anything of the like. Plus, honestly, until I started considering applying to schools almost 1 year ago to the day I didn't think I'd need to get involved in ECs to boost my resume.

I find it really interesting that Michigan no longer requires any ECs on the application. I heard the director say once that the adcom knew students were lying about their involvement. They also recognize that not all cultures place such an emphasis on ECs. I'm really interested to see if this line of thinking extends to other schools soon.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: types of EC for investment bankers [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 05:40
wschaeff wrote:
I've found that while bankers and consultants may work a lot of hours, their firms are a bit more accommodating for ECs. Also, bankers and consultants are more likely to plan ahead for B-School and are more likely to get involved. Just my observations.

Engineering firms I've worked for required 60ish hours per week and ECs were outright discouraged. The companies didn't sponsor Cancer walks, Habitat outings, or anything of the like. Plus, honestly, until I started considering applying to schools almost 1 year ago to the day I didn't think I'd need to get involved in ECs to boost my resume.

I find it really interesting that Michigan no longer requires any ECs on the application. I heard the director say once that the adcom knew students were lying about their involvement. They also recognize that not all cultures place such an emphasis on ECs. I'm really interested to see if this line of thinking extends to other schools soon.

Totally agree, Wschaeff. Forgot to mention the first part. :)
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: types of EC for investment bankers [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 12:03
Expert's post
Hi ua87,

We had a client who worked for an investment bank and here is the strategy she took for her extracurriculars.

She enjoyed painting as a hobby until she accepted an investment banking job out of college. She felt she had no time to become involved outside of work, but she rekindled her interest in art when she became involved in a company-sponsored fundraising initiative. She designed t-shirts to raise extra money and unite the team.

As a result, she showcased her artistic talent and interest, became involved in a great cause, and demonstrated creativity and leadership.

Hope this was of help!

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: types of EC for investment bankers [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 13:45
StacyBlackman wrote:
Hi ua87,

We had a client who worked for an investment bank and here is the strategy she took for her extracurriculars.

She enjoyed painting as a hobby until she accepted an investment banking job out of college. She felt she had no time to become involved outside of work, but she rekindled her interest in art when she became involved in a company-sponsored fundraising initiative. She designed t-shirts to raise extra money and unite the team.

As a result, she showcased her artistic talent and interest, became involved in a great cause, and demonstrated creativity and leadership.

Hope this was of help!

Cheers,

Stacy,
how strong would you consider volunteering for Endeavor?
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: types of EC for investment bankers [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 09:15
Expert's post
lifeofpurpose,

Endeavor is a great organization. With extracurriculars, start with your own interests and passions. If you are interested in the mission of Endeavor, then you will be more committed, and your impact will reflect that.

Best!

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: types of EC for investment bankers [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 21:08
StacyBlackman wrote:
Hi ua87,

Hope this was of help!

Cheers,

Without wanting to sound rude or anything, but are schools really fooled by that?!

It reads well and all, but come on, isn't it embarrassing that coming up with the story probably took her longer than designing one of those generic company fund-raising shirts?
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: types of EC for investment bankers [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 23:10
Adcoms have a soft spot for fingerpainting. Knitting scarves is another one.

I had a client once who collected ants. Had a whole ant colony in his bathroom. I told him he could weave a story of leadership in his essays about it. He got into Stanford but dinged from HBS. In a rage he smashed the ant colony with his fist. He won the battle but the ants won the war by infesting his apartment. So he kicked himself because he now had a better story for his 'mistake' essay. Relegated to his safety school at Stanford, he hitchhiked to Palo Alto, where he spent the next 2 years learning about franchising opportunities at El Pollo Loco. True story.

If you're in banking, best EC is origami. Works everytime. Shows not only creativity, but innovation and sustainability! You're find new ways to re-use paper.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: types of EC for investment bankers [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 23:17
To the OP: adcoms don't care about IB analysts having ECs. Most don't have any while they're in banking, and adcoms are well aware of the 80-100 hr weeks. And having some isn't really a plus because they know that if you are working such long hours that you have no time to sleep, what are the chances any ECs are going to be that substantive or meaningful?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: types of EC for investment bankers   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2011, 23:17