Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 17:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Typical Week 1st Year, 1st Semester

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Typical Week 1st Year, 1st Semester [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 11:55
Can anyone tell me what your typical week is like during the first year, first semester. I've heard this is pretty tough but was wondering exactly how the hours work out because I'm trying to prepare my family for this change.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

Re: Typical Week 1st Year, 1st Semester [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 16:57
I think it depends where you are, how functional your team is, and what sort of stuff you're involved in. Check out my post on a typical day (108-t60641) for some ideas on the scope of your activities.

I think you should probably spin a pretty rough story to your family, just so they're prepared. I have days where I get to school at 8 (sometimes getting up at 6 to wrap up something I should have done the night before) and then have team meetings, club stuff, career stuff, and class that last till 10 or later. And then there's homework.

Especially during recruiting season, if you're targeting companies that spend a lot of time on campus - brand mgmt, ib, mc - expect to spend lots of time schmoozing. I had friends who would go to 8 company presentations (maybe more) in one week. That's roughly 16 hours of presentations....plus emails to follow up, company research....I am SO GLAD I am done with the core and with recruiting...let's just put it that way.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Typical Week 1st Year, 1st Semester [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 11:05
So this is my guess of the typical first semester MBA for IB...

August - Early September
*preterm, orientation, classes,
*more social getting to know you classmates
*minimal extra time except for happy hours and student social events
*typical long days last until 5pm w/ optional social starting anywhere between 6-10pm
*typical short day off at 4pm after last class

Late September - Early November
*firm presentations, informal cocktails & info sessions
*roughly 3x per week of 6pm - 9pm type of commitment
*classes and club events start kicking off
*club events are interview and resume prep type of stuff w/ some networking
*typical late night goes until 9pm, starting with classes in the AM
*typical short day off at 4pm after last class

Mid-November - Mid-December
*closed list events, lots of firm studying needed
*classes, midterms, project and finals
*major club review of interview prep
*more social networking with clubs
*less face time with firms (2x per week), more individual prep

Mid-December - January
*interview/invites crunched into a week or two week jam session

I realize IB recruiting is tough and a lot of time. But I realize that some of the stories are the horror stories similar to the 100+ hour weeks of IB. Yeah sometimes associates will work 100+ hours but more than 75% of the time it's 70-80 hours.

I mean, can I reasonably expect to be able to run home for a hour or two after class to refreshen up before a firms presentation? Can I reasonably expect to take my dog on a run every day or most days? I realize that most schools have Friday off so that helps right? Or is Friday jammed with stuff too?
Re: Typical Week 1st Year, 1st Semester   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2008, 11:05