Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

u]Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 0

u]Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 14:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
u]Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil[/u], their descendants, popularly known as killer bees, had migrated as far north as southern Texas.

A) Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,

B) In less than 35 years since releasing African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,

C) In less than the 35 years since African honeybees had been released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,

D) It took less than 35 years from the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, when

E) It took less than the 35 years after the time that African honeybees were released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, and then
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC African honeybees [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 17:28
Isn't there something wrong with the original sentence:

killer bees, had migrated as far north as southern Texas.

The "had" is inappropriately placed, since the migration took place after any other event in the sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC African honeybees [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 01:15
Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil their descendants, popularly known as killer bees, had migrated as far north as southern Texas.

A) Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
>Best answer!

B) In less than 35 years since releasing African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
> 'releasing' incorrectly refers to descendants

C) In less than the 35 years since African honeybees had been released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
correct
> 'in less that the 35 years' not logical!

D) It took less than 35 years from the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, when
>'It' refers to what?
>'took 35 yrs...from X when Y...' akward

E) It took less than the 35 years after the time that African honeybees were released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, and then[/quote]
>'It' refers to what?
> 'were released' simple past

Last edited by catgmat on 04 Apr 2008, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC African honeybees [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 02:11
I'll have to go for A here. But I must say the sentence does not sound right.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC African honeybees [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 03:33
I am confused between A and C, hMMMMMMMMMMMM which one?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: SC African honeybees [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 04:14
TheBBB1982 wrote:

Past perfect indicate that one action in the Past precedes the other one. Therefore it is simply wrong to use past perfect in both clauses.
And this makes answer choice C grammatically wrong.

Personally, I do not understand the need for past perfect here at all...a bit confusing indeed. But since this part is not underlined we have no choice
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC African honeybees [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 05:22
Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, their descendants, popularly known as killer bees, had migrated as far north as southern Texas.

I think the past perfect indicates that the migration took some time, maybe years. In this case present perfect would indicate that bees are still migrating. However, it sounds strange , but is still better than 'were migrating'!

cheers,
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC African honeybees [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 07:00
A

Eliminate D & E for the use of "it"
Eliminate B & C for using "30 years since", should be "since ... 30 years ago" or "30 years after ...", "30 years since" doesn't make sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC African honeybees [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2008, 08:41
Went for B.

But now see why its wrong. A looks the best.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC African honeybees [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2008, 18:55
chica wrote:
TheBBB1982 wrote:

Past perfect indicate that one action in the Past precedes the other one. Therefore it is simply wrong to use past perfect in both clauses.
And this makes answer choice C grammatically wrong.

Personally, I do not understand the need for past perfect here at all...a bit confusing indeed. But since this part is not underlined we have no choice

Since we have past perfect "had migrated" in the the latter part of the sentence, wouldnt this mean that the other action referenced in the underline section "release" needs to be in the simple past? Isnt that the definition of past perfect that there are two events that occur in the past but one occurs before the other thus the use of "had" + simple past is applied to that action. But the the action that occurred after the past perfect action is in the past also, thus requiring at a minimum simple past verb form - "released" not the infinitive form "release"??

This completely confused me, and on this rule alone I narrowed down the choices to C/E "released" was in the past tense.

I see how C is wrong now because you cant have two past perfect verbs in a sentence..or can you? is that ever logical??

Can someone please clarify this rule?? And how A can be in the infinitive form and still be correct? Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC African honeybees [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2008, 21:58
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
IMO it must be A

Can you please explain per my question from my previous post?
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC African honeybees [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 14:43
how can "their" refer to African honeybees?
thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: SC African honeybees   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2010, 14:43