Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 10:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

U of Rochester (Simon) vs Emory (Goizueta)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia, Fordham, NYU, Emory, U of Rochester UCLA, USC, UCI
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

U of Rochester (Simon) vs Emory (Goizueta) [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 05:07
I have a question in regards to which school fellow members on here would prefer. I'm currently debating whether to continue to pursue Emory or Simon for the incoming Class of 2012. Ideally, I would like to work in a bulge bracket bank straight out of school as an I-banker or go into some sort of hedge fund or Private equity. Which school would be ideal for this type of career route? It seems like for this year, Simon has moved up in ranking while Emory has fallen back, and both tie in rankings. However, Emory has historically enjoyed a higher ranking, just slightly out of the top 20 spots. All in all, I just wanted to get few inputs on which school most people on here would choose to go if they were to pursue a career in finance. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Consortium for Graduate Study in Management Fellow, Class of 2012
Schools: Goizueta Business School-Emory University

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: U of Rochester (Simon) vs Emory (Goizueta) [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 19:50
Hi,

I think that you are too focused on the recent changes in ranking. You should visit both schools and speak to students who are pursuing a finance career, meet with alumni and read the career placement reports to get a feel on where they landed (firms, locations, salary etc). I advise that you really "study" the past placement reports and get in touch with people from Simon and Goizueta.

Traditionally, both schools are strong in finance. I have friends who graduated from both schools and work in the financial sector. Often times, the decision was more of a personal preference (family reasons or wanting to live in Atlanta for example).

Good luck!

mrturbo311 wrote:
I have a question in regards to which school fellow members on here would prefer. I'm currently debating whether to continue to pursue Emory or Simon for the incoming Class of 2012. Ideally, I would like to work in a bulge bracket bank straight out of school as an I-banker or go into some sort of hedge fund or Private equity. Which school would be ideal for this type of career route? It seems like for this year, Simon has moved up in ranking while Emory has fallen back, and both tie in rankings. However, Emory has historically enjoyed a higher ranking, just slightly out of the top 20 spots. All in all, I just wanted to get few inputs on which school most people on here would choose to go if they were to pursue a career in finance. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia, Fordham, NYU, Emory, U of Rochester UCLA, USC, UCI

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: U of Rochester (Simon) vs Emory (Goizueta) [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 19:56
so it would basically be equivalent, both is just as good? there is no slight advantage from one school over the other? I had thought that Emory was slightly more respected than Simon, but I may be wrong. IMO, i noticed that Simon is very diverse, most of the incoming class this year is from China and India, however I don't know what the class of 2012 is like for Emory. So if they are really equal in respect, then I will choose the school that most connects with me aside from rankings/prestige.
Re: U of Rochester (Simon) vs Emory (Goizueta)   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2010, 19:56