Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:12

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

U-Portland -Whats it like being in Oregon -Anybody ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

U-Portland -Whats it like being in Oregon -Anybody ? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 10:19
Hey Fellas,

Ive been thinking of an MBA for a while only that I under-estimated the application process and realized that the deadlines for most good schools are already over. Ive been feeling quite disappointed about my lax attitude and as much about the whole application process starting almost a year prior. Locally, we can apply to unis upto 2-3 months prior to the date and still be OK with it.

Anyway -back to the point of discussion - Ive been thinking about either MBA at universities that still have deadlines or MS-Finance at universities instead. And U-portland came to my knowledge. I am unaware of anyone having gone to Oregon/Portland for Finance and wondered if there are any locals or others who may have attended this course/university and could provide some insight into Portland experience.

I am an international candidate so would be interested to know about the job prospects post-graduation as Id like to work in the American corporate culture before I head home. University career hasn't been of much help with it so all first-hand experiences are welcome.

thank you guys !
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 145 [1] , given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: U-Portland -Whats it like being in Oregon -Anybody ? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 05:48
This post received
KUDOS
You need to check out a little show called Portlandia.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Intern
Intern

Re: U-Portland -Whats it like being in Oregon -Anybody ? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 06:23
Couldnt watch the first video but the second one -if i get the meaning right I think you are being very subtle about it all !! So could I safely assume Portland to be out of my list?
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: U-Portland -Whats it like being in Oregon -Anybody ? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 06:43
Hahaha nonononono. Portlandia is a comedy show. Portland is a really cool town that is often compared (favorably) with Austin. A lot of cool things happening in the city, you'll have plenty to do around town. It should be a really good time! :-D

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Intern
Intern

Re: U-Portland -Whats it like being in Oregon -Anybody ? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 06:57
Ha !! Watching the second video, I thought it was mean't to say that a 'business' driven/professional person tends to change into a 'hillybilly' type after staying in Portland for a while. Gee I feel bad now.

I do hear Portland being a laid back city, but from a commercial perspective, are there any jobs/opportunities for work/internship etc. Specially for someone in finance sector ?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 114

GMAT Tests User
Re: U-Portland -Whats it like being in Oregon -Anybody ? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 07:22
Quote:
I do hear Portland being a laid back city, but from a commercial perspective, are there any jobs/opportunities for work/internship etc. Specially for someone in finance sector ?

There will not be as many opportunities in the finance sector as there would be in NY, LA, or Chicago... but there will still be opportunties. Most likely they will not be with the biggest or best firms, especially since they will be less likely to recruit there.

Portland is also known for large amounts of rain in the winter, and hot summers. It's a beautiful place to live. My roommate in college was from portland (awesome guy) and he absolutely loved it there. It does not have a huge amount of diversity, but has a nice downtown (with skyscrapers) and plenty to do. They have some great college sports teams to follow, and the nike headquarters is up there. There are a lot of good things about portland, but I would not consider a "financial hub" of any sort. So depending on what type of finance you want to be in, you may have to look outside the city for the best positions. But of course, just like any big city, there will be plenty of corporate finance jobs. There will be less investment banking, private equity, etc... b/c these types of jobs only exist in there greatest form in the largest cities.

Overall, I think it is a great place to live, but might not have the most robust job prospects for finance. I would contact the schools career department and see what they say about finance jobs in that area b/c they will be much more of an expert in this area than I will.

Good luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: U-Portland -Whats it like being in Oregon -Anybody ? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 10:25
Haha - love those videos! Fred Armisen for the win!!

Mist3rh - GMAT LA gives fantastic advice. I've heard all great things about Portland, but for the career portion, the school's career management center would be able to give you an idea of companies that recruit and the sort of roles they recruit for. If possible, also reach out to alumni of the schools in finance roles to glean more about their experience in the program and how the school helped facilitate opportunities for them.
Re: U-Portland -Whats it like being in Oregon -Anybody ?   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2012, 10:25