Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCD Smurfit selection call, but no scholarship

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 55

UCD Smurfit selection call, but no scholarship [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 03:18
Hello Experts,

I have got selection call from UCD Smurtfit, Ireland for MBA programme. However, I have not been able to win any scholarship.
My age is 30 and I am unmarried. I have a bank loan for which about 1.5 lakhs Indian Rupees (INR) still needs to be paid. Also, I have to furnish a bond of 3.0 Lakhs INR
to my present company, if I resign.

Withing 14 days I have to accept the offer and pay Euro 1000 (72000INR). Please advise me what I should do?

Is it worth doing MBA without a scholarship when I am almost bankrupt.
My current job is a state govt job, absolutely tension free and cool with good pay package 42000 INR per month.
I am very keen on MBA and UCD Smurfit is the only school I have applied.

Thanks,

Sagar
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: UCD Smurfit selection call, but no scholarship [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 10:54
Hi Sagar,

You can ask for any need based scholarships if available. What was your score in gmat and ielts/tofel ?

Thanks,

harikris
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9413 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: UCD Smurfit selection call, but no scholarship [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 12:15
Expert's post
sagarsingh wrote:
Hello Experts,

I have got selection call from UCD Smurtfit, Ireland for MBA programme. However, I have not been able to win any scholarship.
My age is 30 and I am unmarried. I have a bank loan for which about 1.5 lakhs Indian Rupees (INR) still needs to be paid. Also, I have to furnish a bond of 3.0 Lakhs INR

Withing 14 days I have to accept the offer and pay Euro 1000 (72000INR). Please advise me what I should do?

My current job is a state govt job, absolutely tension free and cool with good pay package 42000 INR per month.

Thanks,

Sagar

So, you work for the state, and you would have to pay a bond to the government if you quit (you said it is payable to the company but you then said you work for the government)? Did I get it right? Why would they require a bond? Is that because they financed your undergrad?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 690

Kudos [?]: 3031 [0], given: 890

Re: UCD Smurfit selection call, but no scholarship [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 12:29
Expert's post
sagarsingh wrote:
Hello Experts,

Thanks,

Sagar

I hear you but this Indian employer Bond culture is EXTREMELY un-legal (I wont go to the extent of calling it illegal)
Please consult your lawyer and you will be fine. I have had tons of friends who skipped bonds after resigning

I dont mean to intrude but you have been working for a considerable amount of time, so I am assuming you have saved something. I would check into employment records of UCD and if your post MBA goal is employment in US, I would try to reach out to alums too see what options are out there. Normally its not extremely difficult to find loans but you will definitely be under a lot of debt.

Have you considered accelerated MBA programs?

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager

Re: UCD Smurfit selection call, but no scholarship [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 23:49
Thanks Souvik, bb and harikris for your replies.
Yes, I work for the state government and I have a bond period of 6 years worth one 300 000 INR. Its a huge amount. They did not sponsor anything. My job was through competition - All India 5 seats. I beat the written, GD and interviw to be here. I would have not joined becaus of this bond. But my father had expired (heart attack and mom was alone). I was gettign posting in my home city, so I chose this. I am not from a financially well off family. I spent all my savings on dad's unfinished projects (building home) and took a loan which is still unpaid. But I want to move out. And I am completely bankrupt. I was scoring around 680 - 710 in prep tests (including 760 in GMAT prep 2 with 99%ile in verbal on which i had reaally worked hard). However I dont know what happened on GMAT day that I scored q49, v20 an dtotal 570 in GMAT. IELTS - 7.5 (listening 8, writing 7.5, reading 7, speaking 6.5). I have 7 years of work experience including 3 years at Accenture.
Its very tough for me to wait for another year as I am 30 and still unmarried. I seriously want to do MBA and after working for 8-10 years I want to switch to teaching.

I am very upset becuase I dont know the risk reward ratio given my poor financial health.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9413 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: UCD Smurfit selection call, but no scholarship [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 07:25
Expert's post
I think in this case you may be better off pursuing a PhD (i.e. teaching direction). Have you considered it?

1. You would have a better financial standing next year
2. PhD is usually free and pays for your living expenses
3. If you want to Teach PhD beats Master's and many schools will only take PhD's
4. Age is not as critical at PhD

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: UCD Smurfit selection call, but no scholarship [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 08:09
bb wrote:
I think in this case you may be better off pursuing a PhD (i.e. teaching direction). Have you considered it?

1. You would have a better financial standing next year
2. PhD is usually free and pays for your living expenses
3. If you want to Teach PhD beats Master's and many schools will only take PhD's
4. Age is not as critical at PhD

Hi...

I have considered a Phd. I mentioned age from the point of view of marriage. 4 years with phd means difficult to get married.
Plus, I really want to work for another 8 years before switching to teaching. (In India, we can teach after MBA and can pursue Executive Phd from IIM while doing job - though would prefer to teach in a foreign country)
Direct phd is not really suited for me. Thanks for ur prompt guidance. What I see is that I should wait for another year. Get a very good score in GMAT and try again next year. This is hard on me, but seems there is no other option. Getting everything from loan this year is not easy.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: UCD Smurfit selection call, but no scholarship [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 05:02
@sagarsingh: Just wondering, how did you get on since? Did you make it to Smurfit and how was the experience?
Re: UCD Smurfit selection call, but no scholarship   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2014, 05:02