Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 05:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 22:19
This post received
KUDOS
humphy wrote:
hear hear.. lol. The ipad thing made me crack a smile... here I am stopped dead in my tracks (literally in the middle of the sidewalk) looking at that email, beading sweat and eyes darting around for words like "unfortunately", "competitive applicant pool", "strong candidates", and UCLA wants to tell me about their improved IT systems. Its like getting a call back from a prospective employer after an interview only to have them tell you they bought a new pair of Ferragamo shoes or something, and oh by the way they are still thinking about your candidacy.

..and make no mistake about the "best side of LA", that was an intentional dig at USC! blue and gold vs cardinal and gold runs deep here, but its part of the fun.

Ha! They should have just gone with: "Here are Anderson where we're busy playing Words with Friends on our diamond-encrusted iPad 3s, we wish you a happy no-invites-or-admits-for-a-week-and-a-half season but are still thinking about deploying our admissions robots to warmly welcome you to Anderson in the fall of 2012. Or we might just admit one of the robots instead of you and see if it can get a job at UBS! Isn't that exciting to you? Go Bruins!!!!"
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.72
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 03:28
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 22

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 03:37
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted!... E-mail received at 6:15am Eastern time
1 KUDOS received
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 26

Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 04:01
This post received
KUDOS
Got an admit too!

:)

Do they communicate fellowships in the portal?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 04:51
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.81

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
In! Got the email at 6:15am EST to check decision. Yayay!

Same question as krazo - anyone know how fellowships work? was anyone offered one with their admission?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.51
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 05:07
This post received
KUDOS
Same! Admitted @ 6:15am, but no mention of fellowship.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
healthcareguy wrote:
kidchaos wrote:
mayashrin wrote:
Ditto. International. Nothing. Im pretty sure it has to be a ding now. There is no way they will admit you without an interview :P

Uhhh... You think they're are going to ding all internationals??? Obviously not. Lets wait and watch. They did say tht they were moving geographically. So no point in being negative.

According to the email this morning, more interview invites will be sent out in January. I still find it hard to believe that no one has reported an interview invite since Dec 2 - 18 days ago!!

International and just got in having interviewed 2 weeks ago.

There are still a lot to come I'm sure. Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.85
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 06:28
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted this morning, also at 6:15 Eastern Time. No fellowship or scholarship mention. Good luck to everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.91
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 10

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 06:40
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in too! Congrats everyone! Yay!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 08:17
This post received
KUDOS
thundering wrote:
for those of us that interviewed already and not admitted today, im guessing probably ding?

I had the same thought. My status still says "We reviewed your application with interest and would like to learn more with a personal interview. Please watch your email for our updates" and hasn't changed in about a month. They keep saying they'll send out more interview invites, but they haven't been clear at all about what this means if we've already interviewed. Doesn't seem like a great sign though.

I'm in the same boat, so can see where you are coming from. BUT, I doubt the admissions process is as structured as we (like to) think it is. Of course, not everyone that receives an interview will be admitted, but at the same time, we have absolutely no visibility on the criteria for the "Dec admits". Perhaps they are just the really obvious candidates and UCLA wants to somehow reel them in asap.

There are loads of other people still waiting for an interview, and I guess we are in the "no-slam-dunk-but-definitely-interesting-enough-to-interview" group. Unless you came to your interview dressed like a clown and somehow managed to weave the words "Stanford" and "HBS" into every answer, I think we are fine. They will have more visibility as they interview more and more people after the holidays. So while this could have been a nice early Christmas present, I think we should just wait and see what happens on Jan 25th.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 22

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
I received the interview invite on Dec. 2nd, interviewed on Dec. 10th on-campus, and was admitted today. I also do not have a particularly high GMAT (700)... So, I truly believe the order is random. There is no way that they are done admitting folks, to your point 50-60% of interview invites turn into admits... I think I was just lucky to be at the beginning of the queue. Best of luck everyone! I'm rooting for you!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE: Other (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
>.....................................

Last edited by blg529 on 21 Dec 2011, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 4

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 18:50
This post received
KUDOS
Received my interview invitation email today at 2:35 PM EST. Very excited! I've been waiting for this one.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 4

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 08:10
This post received
KUDOS
dddmba2012 wrote:
Hello,
I just gave GMAT and scored 640 on gmat. I have 8 years of software engineering experience. Do you think I should apply for FEMBA program at UCLA or should I retake GMAT and try to get a higher score? Any advice?

If you think you can do better, definitely re-take.... I got a 640 the first time around and with a little of final test prep (adjusting the speed in order to answer every question) a month later I got a 710.

I thought it was good enough, but admissions have not been easy anyway. So I would definetly retake if I were you.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q V
GMAT 2: 630 Q V
GMAT 3: 660 Q V
GMAT 4: 680 Q V
GMAT 5: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.12
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 1

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
i just called anderson's office to ask about R1 interview invites. they said they are "still evaluating R1 candidates and will continue to send out invites." when i asked when they will give out their final interview, they said "there is no definite deadline and it's an ongoing process".

according to their jan 3 blog post (http://mbablogs.anderson.ucla.edu/mba_a ... 12--1.html): "We are wrapping up our round 1 files and will continue to invite applicants to interviews over the next few weeks".

so from this info, people from R1 without invites yet (including myself) should not be considered dinged...yet. but with final decision deadline in about 2 weeks (jan 25), i don't see much time left for them to give out invites.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 04:58
This post received
KUDOS
cheryl3007 wrote:
Hi guys, I just want to ask whether any of you asks for a recommendation form community service. Or do you think UCLA only favors LOR from working setting? Thanks!

Ok to be clear, my job is kind of my community service as well (I work for an non-profit and volunteer with them as well) so my recos fortunately include both.

Having said that I think that if you think that your community service experience is substantial (i.e you have worked with a non-profit for a while and/or worked on some significant projects) I would say go for a community service reco. But just make sure to explain to your recommender that they need to highlight your personal and professional attributes.

I don't think any school has any problem with recos from community service as long as they actually add value to your application since it highlights yet another aspect of who you are. It is for you to judge how much value is added to your app by the reco. For eg if you have done a not-so-significant project but your recommender waxes eloquent it may not reflect well since the adcoms can usually see through that when they compare it to your resume.

Just my $.02

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 2

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
Blonde wrote:
How serious is Adcom about the "how will an MBA from UCLA Anderson specifically help you achieve these goals?" part of the 2nd essay? I am applying for R2. I just saw that part of the question and my essay doesn't answer that bit. :(

To give you a no-b.s., frank answer, I think one of the more/most important aspects of almost any set of essays, is the "why ____ school?" question. It's the "show _____ school the love" opportunity.

That being said, hopefully your narrative will cover your goals and why the MBA, and maybe you might have more references to the school than you thought. It's easy to be overly-critical and read too much into your essays after submitting them. What's done is done. To keep your sanity, I recommend you NOT read your essays after you submit them.

Personally, I read my essays far too many times after I clicked "submit", and immediately began to second-guess myself. Every minute error or detail was quickly blown out of proportion by a set of eyes that was looking for errors (my own).

The admissions process is such a crap-shoot that you really can't predict the outcome. And while disheartening, if all else fails, there is always next year, at which time I'm sure you'll put together an application that is magnitudes better as you'll have learned from your previous mistakes.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 05:20
This post received
KUDOS
maxkrewl wrote:
Hi Everyone where can I check the status of the application for Anderson ? Can some of you provide the link for the same ?

Thanks
Maxkrewl

https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/ApplicantConnectLogin.asp?id=ucla-mba

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 2

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
I know it can be difficult, but you guys/ladies seriously gotta chill, and be patient.

The Round 2 deadline was what, a week ago? While it's easy to doubt, there's really no reason to get negative 4 business days after the deadline.

At least for Round 1, the deadline was October 26th(give or take a day). The first "batch" of invites didn't come through until mid-November or so, and some of us in Round 1 received our interview invites a little over a week ago. Logically, one would assume the adcom is working through the Round 1 applications and rendering their final decisions by the upcoming Jan 25th decision date. I'm sure as we draw closer to Jan 25th and the days after the Round 1 deadline you'll see a lot more activity.

All that I've learned is that the entire process is sometimes a crapshoot, and at all times, unpredictable. Speculation and self-doubt will only drive you insane, I've done it enough myself. At some point you just have to let go and let it ride.
Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2012, 06:04