Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 21:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
UCLA Thread Master
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 76

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 23:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Calling All UCLA Anderson Fall 2012 Applicants!

Detailed Program Information: GMAT Club's UCLA Anderson School MBA Guide

Fall 2012 Roll Call
Questions about this Roll Call?

UCLA Anderson Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Application Tracker Feed

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add UCLA Anderson to your profile)

Questions about this Roll Call?

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

2012 MBA Deadlines
http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x21329.xml
http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x19600.xml
MBA Round 1
Application Deadline: October 26, 2011
Decisions Released: January 25, 2012

MBA Round 2
Application Deadline: January 11, 2012
Decisions Released: April 4, 2012

MBA Round 3
Application Deadline: April 18, 2012
Decisions Released: June 6, 2012

2012 MBA / FEMBA Essay Questions
MBA Required Essays:
Essay 1: What events or people have had the greatest influence in shaping your character and why? (750 words)
Essay 2: Describe your short-term and long-term career goals. What is your motivation for pursuing an MBA now and how will UCLA Anderson help you to achieve your goals? (750 words)

MBA Optional Essays:
Essay 3: Are there any extenuating circumstances in your profile about which the Admissions Committee should be aware? (250 words)

MBA Reapplicant Essay:
Please describe your career progress since you last applied and ways in which you have enhanced your candidacy. Include updates on short-term and long-term career goals, as well as your continued interest in UCLA Anderson. (750 words)

Last edited by rasta on 25 Dec 2011, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
Updated
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE: Other (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 0

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 17:25
This post received
KUDOS
My dad used to guest lecture every year for one of Anderson's classes and got to know a guy who is now an associate dean (I think that's his title) of the business school. They ran into each other a while back and got talking about the admissions proces (I just found this out today). The guy said that they don't weight the interviews too heavily because a lot of it comes down to who interviews you, so it's hard to compare one interview to another. When my dad asked why they even go through the interview process then, the guy said "because applicants to top schools expect us to do interviews." So if you have an interview coming up, don't stress too much. Sure if you totally blow it it will negatively impact your candidacy, but beyond that it won't make much of a difference.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V46
GPA: 3.71
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 10

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 21:31
This post received
KUDOS
Had my interview this evening with an alumni at a coffee shop in my city. He called me 15 minutes beforehand to tell me he'd be running a little late. His late arrival allowed me to find seats in the bustling and loud coffee shop. Once he arrived he grabbed a coffee while I saved our seats. He then sat down and briefly introduced himself. I mentioned I had actually seen him speak at a local UCLA information session a few months back.

He then pulled out my resume and began criticizing the format and detail level of it. He suggested I look into condensing it and have someone look it over. This was a shock as I just had three trustworthy professionals look over my resume recently for critique before submitting it to business schools. I used the format presented in Richard Montauk's admissions guide. First page is my professional work exp and the back is high level education, internships, EC. I did my best to take his "advice" in stride and keep going.

His first question was "Why UCLA?" I responded authentically. Next was "Why an MBA" which I had down comfortably from other interviews. Then came the curveballs.

He presented a scenario where I had to understand the different aspects of a companies operations and how to assign responsibility. He wanted me to explain what the operations director's responsibility would be when implementing a new feature into a new BMW. He wanted me to tell him what kind of people with what specific backgrounds would I select for a team of 4 to launch this new product.

I stumbled through the scenarios clumsily. This being my third bschool interview I felt pretty comfortable and confident beforehand. The previous two went very pleasantly. I was caught off guard from the moment this interview started. He mentioned he does a lot of interviews at the prestigious company he works at so I got the feeling he typically grills people.

He asked me to bring up examples of conflict within a team. I told two professional stories and neither satisfied. He wanted a story where no comprise was reached. He wanted to know what I'd do in the hypothetical situation that a coworker wouldn't back down in a disagreement but I knew I was right. I said I'd try to improve my communication with said coworker to understand each other better. "What if that doesn't work?" I suppose I'd go to my manager to get his opinion and direction. "What if that doesn't work, what then?" I was stumped and said I've been fortunate to have only work in groups where our big issues have been eventually been worked out.

The final question was asking me to describe a weakness of mine. I cited numerous areas of business I lack experience in and am excited to learn about in bschool. He didn't like that answer and wanted a personality weakness. I said I can grow impatient when I am not challenged. He agreed that he is the same way.

He then asked if I had questions, I asked a few about his professional experience and his school experience.

Obviously I would not say my interview went well. Luck of the draw I guess. Oh well. :(
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck guys! I was in the same position as you guys last year. I haven't really started so I can't say too much about the experience. Hopefully I can provide some tidbits here and there as the year goes on.

GMAT Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 4

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 21:06
This post received
KUDOS
I'm a 1st year FEMBA at Anderson. Last week we had our orientation as well as first class/final. To summarize really quickly, it was an amazing experience and I'm very much looking forward to the next few years.

I think regardless of which program you choose, you'll have a great group of peers and professors. Ultimately it depends on your career goals.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 19:27
This post received
KUDOS
I received a rather length PM so instead of replying personally, I figured more people can benefit if I post it on the forum:

Hi!

I'm considering applying to UCLA. I had some questions regarding my fit and the alignment of my goals with UCLA curriculum.

Following are the things I wanted to know:

1. My goal is to work in a consulting firm in the field of energy and infrastructure (E&I). So, does UCLA have specialized faculty in energy and infrastructure? What is the general inclination of students towards E&I + Consulting?

I'm interested in finance so I cannot say how much interest there is in E&I. I do know that there's a good number of people who are interested clean tech and such. During my orientation, an Anderson alum who used to run a energy trading company came and spoke for us.

2. To what degree can I tailor my MBA, ie, what %ge of the course is mandatory and what %ge is elective?

Anderson is currently going through a transition into an academic track system rather than a general MBA program.

While you need to take roughly 10 core (mandatory) courses, you will be taking overall 24 courses --- you can take quite a few elective courses at Anderson.

3. What is the student community like? How do students contribute to each other's growth? Are there student treks or other student bonding events?

While it's easy to say that UCLA Anderson community is very collaborative, it's hard to compare UCLA Anderson against other business schools since I only have experience at UCLA Anderson.

That being said, I feel like people who choose to attend UCLA Anderson definitely have a different mentality. There are people who are somewhat uptight but by and large, people have more relaxed attitude about them.

Various different student organizations plan a student trip so there are plenty of student bonding events.

4. What do you think are UCLA's strengths?

Being in California, strength in finance and marketing, and I cannot say enough good things about the student body. The quality of student body is VERY high.

5. Weaknesses?

People tend not to want to move out of California so maybe that's a weakness? :)

In all seriousness, I think all business schools have weaknesses. I applied to quite a few schools last year and every single one of the schools had at least one flaw that I wanted to change.

Ask yourself whether I would attend this school if this were the only school that I get admitted and then plan things out accordingly.

GMAT Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 19:47
This post received
KUDOS
PTK wrote:
Hi guys.
I would like to adress the question to current and perspectie students at UCLA.

WHY UCLA?

What are your post-MBA goals?

Academic reputation, location, you know the usual.

Not sure if you are struggling to find a motivation to apply to UCLA but it becomes a very personal decision for most of us.

Good luck!

GMAT Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 18:53
This post received
KUDOS
blg529 wrote:
Just got an interview invite email for the full time program. I submitted my application about five days before the deadline.

My stats: F/3.9/770/3 years WE (at matriculation) in Venture Capital

Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard back yet! Still anxiously waiting to hear from Stanford and Haas so I know how you feel.

oh me oh my, timeout on all this grad school talk for a sec. You're a Kappa Delta/3.9GPA/770GMAT?!?! Goodness, if you're single and have decent scores on your tri-merged credit report I may have to get down on one knee and call it a life. lol. jokes aside, good luck on your interview and congrats on already having an interview at Kellogg.

It's better to be lucky than to be good.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 12:40
This post received
KUDOS
hogwarts wrote:
This is based on a very small sample size but it looks like all those who have invites so far (that have updated their GC profiles) have 99 percentile GMAT scores. Do we think there's a chance they ordered the reading of reports by GMAT score or is that just a coincidence?

No, definitely not. But I wouldn't be surprised if the most obvious candidates are invited to interview first.

BTW, I am a current student, PM me if you have questions :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 4

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 22:50
This post received
KUDOS
Interviewed today over lunch and coffee. Honestly, I wouldn't even really call it an interview. It was definitely 100% about fit, seeing if I was an outgoing, friendly type of personality that would fit with the Anderson culture. Of course, we briefly touched upon the basics like why I was going to do an MBA, but there were no pointed questions or follow-up type stuff. In fact, my interviewer flat out didn't even want to look at my resume until the conversation was over. After a few minutes of basic introductions, we mostly just talked about what life was like at Anderson, the recruiting process, finding a job afterward, and some stuff related to entrepreneurship. And we chatted about the real estate market in china for about 20 minutes. All in all, the conversation lasted one hour. I think the interview style was very reflective of the type of laid-back California culture at Anderson. It was by far my most relaxed and enjoyable interview, and it even raised my opinion of the school quite significantly.
1 KUDOS received
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 26

Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 16:11
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the invite
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.91

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 10

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 17:57
This post received
KUDOS
falcondevil wrote:
Just got an invite! Received the email at 5:35pm (PST).

Me too! They must have been targeting the 740 GMATs today ;-)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.83

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 4

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 20:10
This post received
KUDOS
Got my invite today as well! Very excited!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 2

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
The first message means a pre-cursor to an interview, and the second means they've decided to ding you already.

Either that or the first message means they've decided to ding you, and the second is a precursor to an interview.

Either that, or they both mean we're under review.

I'm just going to check out and wait. Everything else at this stage is pure speculation and conjecture. It's like reading too much into a text message when you're chasing down a certain love interest.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS
falcondevil wrote:
Had my interview this evening with an alumni at a coffee shop in my city. He called me 15 minutes beforehand to tell me he'd be running a little late. His late arrival allowed me to find seats in the bustling and loud coffee shop. Once he arrived he grabbed a coffee while I saved our seats. He then sat down and briefly introduced himself. I mentioned I had actually seen him speak at a local UCLA information session a few months back.

He then pulled out my resume and began criticizing the format and detail level of it. He suggested I look into condensing it and have someone look it over. This was a shock as I just had three trustworthy professionals look over my resume recently for critique before submitting it to business schools. I used the format presented in Richard Montauk's admissions guide. First page is my professional work exp and the back is high level education, internships, EC. I did my best to take his "advice" in stride and keep going.

His first question was "Why UCLA?" I responded authentically. Next was "Why an MBA" which I had down comfortably from other interviews. Then came the curveballs.

He presented a scenario where I had to understand the different aspects of a companies operations and how to assign responsibility. He wanted me to explain what the operations director's responsibility would be when implementing a new feature into a new BMW. He wanted me to tell him what kind of people with what specific backgrounds would I select for a team of 4 to launch this new product.

I stumbled through the scenarios clumsily. This being my third bschool interview I felt pretty comfortable and confident beforehand. The previous two went very pleasantly. I was caught off guard from the moment this interview started. He mentioned he does a lot of interviews at the prestigious company he works at so I got the feeling he typically grills people.

He asked me to bring up examples of conflict within a team. I told two professional stories and neither satisfied. He wanted a story where no comprise was reached. He wanted to know what I'd do in the hypothetical situation that a coworker wouldn't back down in a disagreement but I knew I was right. I said I'd try to improve my communication with said coworker to understand each other better. "What if that doesn't work?" I suppose I'd go to my manager to get his opinion and direction. "What if that doesn't work, what then?" I was stumped and said I've been fortunate to have only work in groups where our big issues have been eventually been worked out.

The final question was asking me to describe a weakness of mine. I cited numerous areas of business I lack experience in and am excited to learn about in bschool. He didn't like that answer and wanted a personality weakness. I said I can grow impatient when I am not challenged. He agreed that he is the same way.

He then asked if I had questions, I asked a few about his professional experience and his school experience.

Obviously I would not say my interview went well. Luck of the draw I guess. Oh well. :(

Wow this sounds intense. :( Sorry you had to go through the ringer! Honestly this makes me happy that I'm going to campus to do mine. From what I hear the on-campus interviews are pretty straightforward and laid back.

It sounds like you did a good job of dealing with his crazy questions though!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 07:47
This post received
KUDOS
invitations are going out until mid-jan, not mid-dec. there are still many interview invitations left, i'm sure of it!

http://mbablogs.anderson.ucla.edu/
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
yes when I talked to admissions during my interview, they said they would be releasing a batch of decisions before the holidays (only positives) and then the rest of the acceptances and the rejections would come on the january date.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 15:55
This post received
KUDOS
its kind of messed up for the adcom to talk about holiday cheer, etc. when they knowingly will have to reject 85 to 90% of applications....

IMHO, the update should be a bit more to the point. If any adcom is reading this, I appreciate the positive spirit and the improved app this year, but lets rethink this previous communication. :|
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 16:42
This post received
KUDOS
Well said humphy. This note seemed to just be for the folks who are going to get accepted which will by far not be the majority, especially with the spike in applicants this year. I would have appreciated if they toned it down a bit and didn't bury the lead that some admits are coming very soon and more admits and invites are coming after the holidays. I'm happy they are enjoying their iPads but I'm a little too concerned about my future to share their enthusiasm for 'em. The "best side of LA" thing made me laugh. I'm sure this wasn't what was intended, but I read as it's the school on the good side of town (erm, sorry USC).
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 17:39
This post received
KUDOS
misscongeniality wrote:
Well said humphy. This note seemed to just be for the folks who are going to get accepted which will by far not be the majority, especially with the spike in applicants this year. I would have appreciated if they toned it down a bit and didn't bury the lead that some admits are coming very soon and more admits and invites are coming after the holidays. I'm happy they are enjoying their iPads but I'm a little too concerned about my future to share their enthusiasm for 'em. The "best side of LA" thing made me laugh. I'm sure this wasn't what was intended, but I read as it's the school on the good side of town (erm, sorry USC).

hear hear.. lol. The ipad thing made me crack a smile... here I am stopped dead in my tracks (literally in the middle of the sidewalk) looking at that email, beading sweat and eyes darting around for words like "unfortunately", "competitive applicant pool", "strong candidates", and UCLA wants to tell me about their improved IT systems. Its like getting a call back from a prospective employer after an interview only to have them tell you they bought a new pair of Ferragamo shoes or something, and oh by the way they are still thinking about your candidacy.

..and make no mistake about the "best side of LA", that was an intentional dig at USC! blue and gold vs cardinal and gold runs deep here, but its part of the fun.
Re: UCLA Anderson 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2011, 17:39