Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 627

Kudos [?]: 2535 [2] , given: 745

UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 14:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

UCLA Anderson Business School - Class of 2015 (Matriculating 2013)

UCLA Anderson Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2014)

Application Tracker Feed

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add UCLA Anderson to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Essays:

(From Anderson Website)
Essays are the primary way for you to share your perspectives and plans. The best essays are introspective, genuine and succinct in directly answering our questions and responding to our topics.

• Essay questions are listed below for both first-time applicants and re-applicants.
    • You should try to distinguish yourself by showing what makes you different from others who share similar profiles.
    • Personal expression is what we are looking for, not platitudes.
    • Making a strong case for your future plans requires you to first do research on career paths and find one that resonates. Even if this target will change during business school, your application essays should lay out a clear trajectory for short-term and long-term goals. Do this by demonstrating how you expect to build on skills from your past, and those you expect to gain from the MBA.
    • Essays are more compelling if they include specific courses, programs, groups, opportunities, activities, etc. from which you would benefit, if admitted to UCLA Anderson. These references are best found through website research, personal discussions and a campus visit (if possible).
    • Content and clarity are key elements, as we seek superior communication skills.
    • Style is a consideration too, although we understand that those who speak other languages may have different manners of expression in English.
    • We do check your essays for plagiarism, so make sure you always submit your own work.
    • Length does not equal strength. A well-written short essay can have even more impact than a longer essay. Please try to respect the word limits indicated below.
    • All responses to essays must be on double-spaced pages that are uploaded as a document. We do not accept essays in any other media but written form.

FIRST-TIME APPLICANTS - TWO REQUIRED ESSAYS:
    1) What is your proudest achievement outside the workplace, and how has it impacted you? (700 words maximum)
    2) What are your short-term and long-term career goals, and how will an MBA from UCLA Anderson specifically help you achieve these goals? (700 words maximum)

OPTIONAL ESSAY:
The following essay is optional. No preference is given in the evaluation process to applicants who submit an optional essay. Please note that we only accept written essays.

1) Are there any extenuating circumstances in your profile about which the Admissions Committee should be aware? (250 words maximum)

RE-APPLICANTS - ONE REQUIRED ESSAY:
Reapplicants who applied for the class entering in fall 2011 or 2012 are required to complete the following essay:

1) Please describe your career progress since you last applied and ways in which you have enhanced your candidacy. Include updates on short-term and long-term career goals, as well as your continued interest in UCLA Anderson. (700 words maximum)

Class Profile:

MBA Class of 2014 Profile

Applicant Pool & Class Size
Applications Received - 3404
Target Class Size - 360

Age Distribution
Average Age - 28
Age Range - 23 - 38

Academic Profile
Average Grade Point Average (GPA on 4.0 scale) - 3.5
GPA Range (mid-80%) - 3.2 - 3.9
Average GMAT - 706
GMAT Range (mid-80%) - 660 - 750

Diversity
Minorities - 26%
Women - 33%
International - 33%
Countries Represented - 45
Undergraduate Institutions - 177

Work Experience
0 - 3 Years - 15%
3 - 6 Years - 61%
6+ Years - 24%
Average Years of Experience - 5.0

Undergraduate Majors
Business - 27%
Engineering - 20%
Economics - 18%
Humanities - 20%
Math/Computer Science -6%
Physical and Biological Sciences - 5%
Other - 4%

Top Backgrounds by Industry
Finance - 26%
High Tech - 21%
Consulting - 17%
Public and Non-Profit - 15%
Consumer Goods - 6%
Health Care and Biotechnology - 6%
Entertainment & Media - 5%
Real Estate - 4%
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [4] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 05:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gurpreetsingh wrote:
dreamchase wrote:
Do you always talk that much, and repeat the redundant and obvious things endlessly?

I bet you face a hard time managing those word limits. Oh wait ... UCLA word limits were made for you !

Just FYI I managed my word limit pretty well. :P Liking my profile is not in my hand, but I gave my best shot in limited time.

@dreamchase -- that's a little harsh, IMO. Most everyone here is stressed about their applications. GC is a forum to help garner support from other members during this process; we're not here to tear other people down. Your post might be in jest, but keep in mind that this is the Internet, and with posters of various levels of English language fluency here, words and their meanings can be misconstrued.

Good luck, Gurpreet, and to everyone else still waiting for results. R1s who haven't heard yet, our time is finally coming soon! :)

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [3] , given: 2

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 12:46
This post received
KUDOS
thomashobbes wrote:
Accepted (R3). My spot will almost certainly be available to a waitlister unless there's a great scholarship attached to this (does anyone know when we find this out?).

Congrats to all who were accepted, condolences to all who were dinged. Waitlisters, don't lose hope!

I received my offer during the admissions call, but way back in R1.
Sold on the cold weather of Yale over the beaches and perfect UCLA weather? There is a lot more to a great MBA program than that, but I hope you take a long look @ what Anderson has to offer. My visits to the school left me with better feelings than both Berkeley and Stanford....although my final location is still up in the air.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 411 [2] , given: 244

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 05:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Everyone, relax!!! Your apps are submitted. There's nothing you can do about it now.

Please do not contact admissions to explain why a rec was 1 hour late -- it's fine. It happens all the time. Your app will still be a part of r2. Don't contact admissions about line spacing - in the grand scheme of things, that's a really minor error. Breathe.

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 2

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
ctgmat123 wrote:
For anyone in the area or who interviewed on campus, any suggestions on inexpensive hotels in the area? The Anderson site provides some options, but I haven't looked at specific prices for all yet. The couple I did look at aren't super cheap, but I guess that may be across the board since it is LA.

It isn't just Los Angeles, UCLA is basically in Beverly Hills...actually Bel Air so it is in the most exclusive area in LA. If you want to stay close I would look for more of an "eclectic" Hollywood area hotel. There are usually pretty neat hotels that aren't as frilly as the major hotels, and thus reasonably priced, in and around Hollywood. If you don't mind a little drive then I would definitely stay out by the airport...nice hotels and good deals (20 mins to campus with decent traffic). However, I love the area, and you need to really get a feel for it if you are thinking of going so I would definitely recommend staying somewhere closer to Santa Monica and experiencing a bit of the good life that LA has to offer.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 63 [2] , given: 3

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 15:32
This post received
KUDOS
R2 interviews going out already ! Image

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 01:53
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in! Got an email at 2:15 am cst!

Posted from my mobile device Image
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 63 [2] , given: 3

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
Just got an email invite for an R2 interview.
There is still hope...hang in there peeps !

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.74

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 02:25
This post received
KUDOS
tiberius wrote:
Same story. I was waitlisted in R1, and waitlisted today again . No email, status change barely looked different except for the new date on the letter. Would love to hear what people that got off the R1 waitlist did to improve their odds?

Tiberius

Honestly, I didn't send Anderson any correspondence regarding steps I had taken to improve my odds, but I was taking an online class through Coursera to show them that I was committed to going back to business school. If my wait listed status did not improve, I would have sent them my completion certificate.

Hope this helps.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 20:03
This post received
KUDOS
mba20155 wrote:
Has anyone accepted the offer and received the UCLA Graduate Division approval? Just trying to see what the next steps are after all of our documents are approved.

nothing yet for me, R2 admits. from R1 admits experience, it took abt a month (assuming that you sent out all the official doc. right away)from receiving admits to the final approval (they will send you an email with the link to SIR/SLR). so what we can do now is patiently wait and work on housing...etc. :-D
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 7

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
Received the heads up this morning in China. Accepted off of wait-list!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
Accepted. Received an email at 12:15amPT. I assume we hear about scholarship money when we receive the admissions packet in the mail.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 244

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 18:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rjdunn03 wrote:
Hey guys i was looking over my submitted UCLA application and I noticed that there is a mistake on the resume i uploaded.

While drafting the resume I had a bullet point that says I did such and such things "...to improve efficiency, resulting in XXX in savings." It literally says XXX. I had put that there planning to put the figures in once I calculated it all out precisely. I later did that, but apparently when I was filling out the application I didn't upload the updated version.

I e-mailed the admissions office explaining the error and giving them the correction. This is the response I got back:

Thank you for applying to UCLA Anderson. Unfortunately, changes cannot be made once you have submitted an application.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? How will the error be viewed by admissions?

This is very typical of most every school. Once your application is submitted, it's done. You can't change anything. The onus was on you to check your application before you submitted it and now what's done is done. All you can do is wait to see if you've been invited to interview or not.

Based on everyone's experiences throughout GmatClub, a few minor errors like this can be overlooked and won't cause you to be dinged. Applications are looked at holistically so there are many factors that go into a final decision -- not just a missing bullet on your resume or a typo in an essay.

Good luck!

aerien

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V49
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 7

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 01:49
This post received
KUDOS
I received my invite overnight (probably evening PST) - I'm an international applicant and was really glad to see they do Skype interviews but unfortunately every spot but one was already taken... and I will be speaking to them at 3am. Oh well, I'll probably be less tired than if I had to deal with the jet lag of going to see them for just a day! I've emailed them them and hoping that a couple of other spots open up.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 1

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 09:39
This post received
KUDOS
For the folks who are going to be interviewing...
I had my interview on Monday and I was asked the following questions -
1) Tell me about yourself
2) Why MBA, ST/LT goals
3) Why Anderson
4) Example of leadership required in your current role(s)
5) What other schools are you applying to?

After that it became more of a conversation and I had the chance to ask my questions. The whole interview was a bit longer than an hour.

Good Luck all!

Last edited by stayfrosty6 on 26 Nov 2012, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 244

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 17:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
To quell my own feelings about this, I went through my inbox and found last year's email talking about December admits.

UCLA sent the email on December 14, 2011, exactly 1 year ago today, that said (among other things):
Our largest-ever group of December admits will be announced before the holidays to spread good cheer -- then more admissions and interviews will come after our school's winter-break closure Dec. 22 to Jan. 2

So far, I haven't received anything to that effect this year, so it's up to you all individually to keep hoping throughout the holidays or just resign to waiting until the end of January. At least in another month and a half, we'll look back on this and laugh at our crazy selves for completely over-analyzing this situation :)

EDIT: @Luis -- thanks for your initial post. It's not that I don't believe you...it's that I don't want to believe they'd leave us hanging after interviewing us so early on.

aerien

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 1

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call 11:45 PST from the Dean of Admissions - admission and fellowship $$$.
He said an alum will reach out to me soon, and talked about upcoming events.

BTW - from what I understand this was just an early admissions release. It does not mean those that did not hear from them are dinged.
To those who are still waiting - don't lose hope yet, there are probably more reviews and more interviews in January.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 01:23
This post received
KUDOS
I have been getting some PMs from other members asking about advice and tip for UCLA Anderson --- I imagine they were actually asking about MBA admissions in general.

I've been going through final exams as well as holiday travels so I have not yet had the time to reply individually.

Rather than replying individually, I'm going to address some of the issues raised.

Question: I have a relatively low GMAT score compared to my peers. Do I have a shot?

Answer: Ask yourself why the adcom should select you over a person who has a similar background but has higher GMAT score. You need to craft a compelling story so that you convince the adcom that you will add to the overall experience of that particular school (UCLA Anderson or not).

Question: Any advice for interviews?

Answer: Again, craft a compelling story why you want to get an MBA. Honestly, as long as you don't F-up the interview, the interview likely will not be a factor. Be yourself and have a coherent thought process of why you need to get an MBA at a particular school. You should be golden.

Question: I have xxx, xxx, and xxx profile, do you think I'll get in?

Answer: No clue, just make sure that you don't apply during round 3 when schools are trying to round out a class.

GMAT Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
whathowhatho wrote:
For those R1 who were not yet invited to interview (like me:( - if you check the last year thread, there is still hope - even for internationals.

Love the positivity. Good luck to all those in limbo
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 640 Q V
GPA: 3.82
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 12

Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
whathowhatho wrote:
For those R1 who were not yet invited to interview (like me:( - if you check the last year thread, there is still hope - even for internationals.

Right on, whathowhatho!
Re: UCLA Anderson 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2013, 09:28