Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCLA Anderson vs. Ross ($)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

UCLA Anderson vs. Ross Michigan ($)

• 75% [15]
  • 25% [5]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

UCLA Anderson vs. Ross ($) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 16:03
Yet another Vs. question! I would sincerely love your insight.

UCLA vs. Michigan with some money?

I am interested in Marketing post MBA and eventually working in Education. I have always lived in California and went to school in Southern Cali. I intend to live in Southern CA post MBA (because of family/love of Socal). I do LOVE Michigan's culture and supportive community, but staying in LA would be much easier. Thoughts? Thank you VERY much in advance.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 13

Re: UCLA Anderson vs. Ross ($) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 16:19
This post received
KUDOS
Stackers wrote:

I am interested in Marketing post MBA and eventually working in Education. I have always lived in California and went to school in Southern Cali. I intend to live in Southern CA post MBA (because of family/love of Socal). I do LOVE Michigan's culture and supportive community, but staying in LA would be much easier. Thoughts? Thank you VERY much in advance.

Ross is a better school, but it isn't leagues better than Anderson. If you live in LA and your goal is to stay, it makes more sense for you to hang around. Considering the moving, flight expenses of coming home, and potential of commuting back to California for interviews or internship, the $ difference might even equal out over the two years.
Intern
Intern

Re: UCLA Anderson vs. Ross ($) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 16:32
That is definitely true. I guess I like the idea of having a new experience, but my goal IS LA (because I eventually want to work to help LAUSD).

I also do not have a clear understanding of which school is a better brand. UCLA does have a stronger network in LA (obviously), but the overall experience seems to be better at Ross. Still the money difference will definitely even out with flights to and from the west coast.

Thank you- that is definitely helpful!

thugly921 wrote:
Stackers wrote:

Ross is a better school, but it isn't leagues better than Anderson. If you live in LA and your goal is to stay, it makes more sense for you to hang around. Considering the moving, flight expenses of coming home, and potential of commuting back to California for interviews or internship, the $ difference might even equal out over the two years.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 4

Re: UCLA Anderson vs. Ross ($) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 19:05
This post received
KUDOS
Ross' network is so huge that I'm sure you'd have no problem finding dozens or even hundreds of useful contacts in the network in SoCal. UCLA's network may be bigger in SoCal, but if Ross' is a bit stronger but more cohesive and willing to help out, then you might find the Ross network to be even more useful to you later on in your career. I think you should listen to your gut and go with the community you feel more strongly about. I think you're absolutely right that it may be valuable to get out of SoCal for a while...a couple of Michigan winters may even lead you to appreciate Cali even more :lol: And who knows, being away for a bit may even open your eyes to other new and exciting opportunities in fields you hadn't even previously considered, and the tight-knit Ross community will be there to support you all along the way.

then again, I might just be bitter that Anderson rejected me and Ross accepted me :twisted:
Intern
Intern

Re: UCLA Anderson vs. Ross ($) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 19:45
Man very strong case for Ross! I think the issue is that the pros and cons sort of seem to make it a bit of a wash. Both strong pros, so the comparison in my situation sort of equalizes them.

UCLA does seem to have a stronger brand - but then again I don't know how the brand weight more nationally, as I have a very biased sample. In the end, I guess that good ole gut decision is best. Thank you so much for you input!

Congrats on Chicago too- LOVE that city as well.

xzeppelin wrote:
Ross' network is so huge that I'm sure you'd have no problem finding dozens or even hundreds of useful contacts in the network in SoCal. UCLA's network may be bigger in SoCal, but if Ross' is a bit stronger but more cohesive and willing to help out, then you might find the Ross network to be even more useful to you later on in your career. I think you should listen to your gut and go with the community you feel more strongly about. I think you're absolutely right that it may be valuable to get out of SoCal for a while...a couple of Michigan winters may even lead you to appreciate Cali even more :lol: And who knows, being away for a bit may even open your eyes to other new and exciting opportunities in fields you hadn't even previously considered, and the tight-knit Ross community will be there to support you all along the way.

then again, I might just be bitter that Anderson rejected me and Ross accepted me :twisted:
Re: UCLA Anderson vs. Ross ($)   [#permalink] 22 May 2012, 19:45