Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Anderson ($$$) vs. Ross [Non-consulting path]

• 69% [27]
  • 25% [10]
  • 5% [2]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 03:56
Hi Guys,

I'm going to add one more to the Ross-related scenarios.

I was admitted to Anderson with a 20k/year fellowship and to Ross with none. I'm still undecided on my area of focus but hope to work in Asia following graduation.

All else being equal, is Ross' "global brand" and slightly higher reputation worth foregoing a fellowship at Anderson if my concentration won't necessarily be in one of Ross' strengths (like consulting)?

Thanks for the help!
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 04:00
Expert's post
dgents101 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm going to add one more to the Ross-related scenarios.

I was admitted to Anderson with a 20k/year fellowship and to Ross with none. I'm still undecided on my area of focus but hope to work in Asia following graduation.

All else being equal, is Ross' "global brand" and slightly higher reputation worth foregoing a fellowship at Anderson if my concentration won't necessarily be in one of Ross' strengths (like consulting)?

Thanks for the help!

Anderson's ties to Asia are very strong, probably stronger than Ross' if you're looking at East Asia.

What are you looking to go into? All else equal + East Asia (and bonus of $$), I'd be inclined to take Anderson over Ross.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 08:24
aerien wrote:
Anderson's ties to Asia are very strong, probably stronger than Ross' if you're looking at East Asia.

What are you looking to go into? All else equal + East Asia (and bonus of $$), I'd be inclined to take Anderson over Ross.

I'm undecided on my concentration. I have a background in non-profit management and may continue that route, but want to speak with career services/alumni about my options (and how realistic they are considering my background/skill set) before ruling out more traditional paths.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 09:01
If you're looking to go to Asia then I really think it's a no brainer - Anderson.

I don't understand the logic behind Ross being so much greater than Anderson - they are peer schools that are very similar except for the location. If anything UCLA is trending up while Ross is holding steady. Anderson might not be a 'global brand' but UCLA sure is. Plus, 2 years in West LA is tough to beat.
Intern
Intern

Re: UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 03:54
Thanks for the advice guys!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

Re: UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 04:55
I think both are fantastic schools and global brands. While $20K per year is not insignificant, I think you should view that money as a tie-breaker rather than a decision-maker. Visit both schools, talk to current students and alumni, and make your decision based on where you'd like to be for two years and which school you are most excited to join.

Think about it this way: when you tell your friends and family you got into UCLA and Michigan, which are you most proud of? Why?

P.S. You really should try to figure out what you want to do, but of course you already knew that. :lol:
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 07:38
UCLA - great weather, great asia connection, plus the $..
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: RPLU
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 01-21-2014
WE: Account Management (Insurance)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 12:12
All things considered I think it makes the most sense to head off to Anderson in your case

Great Asia connects + West Coast weather should be ideal for since you are still figuring out what you want to do
Intern
Intern

Re: UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 17:08
Hey, thanks for all the input guys.

Two things. First, I come from a cold weather state and don't mind a long winter. Until I read your posts giving the tie to UCLA due to its weather, climate hadn't crossed my mind.

Second, both schools have what I'm looking for in the social impact space. But with the exception of Finance (which I'm not considering), Ross seems to be quite a bit stronger than Anderson in the more traditional fields.

I would be proud to attend either school but the edge goes to Ross. I'm planning to appeal to financial aid for a fellowship. Going into the appliction process, I wasn't sure how I would be received and applied to a range of schools. I've received some very strong scholarships from lower-end Top 25 programs. Should I mention these in my appeal? Thank you again!
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 244

Re: UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 17:33
Expert's post
dgents101 wrote:
Hey, thanks for all the input guys.

Two things. First, I come from a cold weather state and don't mind a long winter. Until I read your posts giving the tie to UCLA due to its weather, climate hadn't crossed my mind.

Second, both schools have what I'm looking for in the social impact space. But with the exception of Finance (which I'm not considering), Ross seems to be quite a bit stronger than Anderson in the more traditional fields.

I would be proud to attend either school but the edge goes to Ross. I'm planning to appeal to financial aid for a fellowship. Going into the appliction process, I wasn't sure how I would be received and applied to a range of schools. I've received some very strong scholarships from lower-end Top 25 programs. Should I mention these in my appeal? Thank you again!

It sure can't hurt to mention it. You never know what can happen. Good luck!!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 18:29
This post received
KUDOS
Hello, I thought I'd post a quick update about my fellowship request.

I sent a letter (via email) to the admissions officer who extended me the welcome email following my admission to Ross. In the letter I very briefly introduced myself, explained my situation/interest in the program and laid out the other fellowship offers I had received. I also let admissions know that I was ready to speak over the phone, if needed.

I received a reply by the end of the day. The admissions officer was very understanding and strightforward. She requested electronic copies of the fellowship offers and said that it was common practice at Ross to make decisions on such requests in concert with the Round 3 application cycle - it was likely that I would receive a decision in late April at the earliest.

So, the wait will be tough because of deposit deadlines at other schools, but I appreciate how up-front they were about how the process would unfold. I'd be happy to answer more specific questions via personal message. Thanks!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 18:57
dgents101 wrote:
Hello, I thought I'd post a quick update about my fellowship request.

I sent a letter (via email) to the admissions officer who extended me the welcome email following my admission to Ross. In the letter I very briefly introduced myself, explained my situation/interest in the program and laid out the other fellowship offers I had received. I also let admissions know that I was ready to speak over the phone, if needed.

I received a reply by the end of the day. The admissions officer was very understanding and strightforward. She requested electronic copies of the fellowship offers and said that it was common practice at Ross to make decisions on such requests in concert with the Round 3 application cycle - it was likely that I would receive a decision in late April at the earliest.

So, the wait will be tough because of deposit deadlines at other schools, but I appreciate how up-front they were about how the process would unfold. I'd be happy to answer more specific questions via personal message. Thanks!

keep us updated.. interested to hear what they come back with.. if they give you more than ucla, id go back to ucla and tell them haha either school is great although i do think ucla would fit your needs just fine
Intern
Intern

Re: UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 05:08
Hello again. Just want to let everyone know the result of my fellowship request.

It was not granted.

Although not a deal-breaker, attending Ross out of pocket would be a pretty serious financial stretch. Nonetheless, Ross is where I want to be. I'll be making my final decision in the next few days. Wish me luck!
Re: UCLA Anderson ($$$) vs. UM Ross   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2013, 05:08