Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 May 2015, 03:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCLA FEMBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 19:25
Still on the wait list from r1 and wondering if any others on the WL have heard back? Is it possible that you could be dinged as far out as August?

The wait is making me so anxious that just yesterday, I started the applications process to Booth PT (May 7th deadline). I figured that it couldn't hurt--I just regret not also applying to Kellogg's PT program. Like the FT rounds, is there a major disadvantage to applying in the last round? Almost wondering if I should hold off until I get the final decision from Anderson and then pull together a really good app for Kellogg and Booth next Fall only if I don't get in at UCLA...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 22:37
Congrats to all the early admits.

Since you guys were talking about a 2013 FEMBA Facebook page I thought I'd look it up. The group has 137 members in it so I'll assume the class is close to half full (again, assuming they've all placed deposits and won't rescind their app which 10% probably will).

Lot of open spots left so good luck to everyone who's still waiting.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 14:58
A friend of mine got the acceptance call last Thursday. Because she knew a few of her friends (including me) were still waiting she asked the lady on the phone if all of the Round 2 acceptance calls were going out that day. The lady on the phone said that only a relatively small number of calls/emails were going out and that there were still a large amount of applications to go through. My friend then asked how long it would take to finish the Round 2 applications and the lady on the phone said that it was slow going and it could take some more time.

I don't know if this helps anyone, but as a Round 2 applicant, I felt a pretty big kick in the stomach when I found out my friend had been accepted and I hadn't heard one way or the other.

Just for some additional info, she has 5 years of work experience, 3.8 undergrad GPA, and a 670 on the GMAT.
Intern
Intern

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 05:22
To the waitlisted (in particular those with low GMAT scores):

My very reliable resource tells me that most people on the waitlist are those with awesome profiles but low GMAT scores...retaking the GMAT may be something to consider.

I also spoke with Maureen and she encouraged me to provide material updates to my profile where possible (i.e. promotions, new projects etc.).

I'm sure none of this information is new, but I hope this helps someone...

Congrats to the admits and good luck to the waitlistees!
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 20

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 08:52
leahpea10 wrote:
To the waitlisted (in particular those with low GMAT scores):

My very reliable resource tells me that most people on the waitlist are those with awesome profiles but low GMAT scores...retaking the GMAT may be something to consider.

I also spoke with Maureen and she encouraged me to provide material updates to my profile where possible (i.e. promotions, new projects etc.).

I'm sure none of this information is new, but I hope this helps someone...

Congrats to the admits and good luck to the waitlistees!

I do get the feeling that Anderson is very stats heavy, especially GMAT's, I think that's also why there is such a huge disparity in GMAT scores between UCLA and USC.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 09:41
GoBruins, I think you are right. Dylan has said it himself, "I have never turned down a student with a 760 GMAT score." What I find baffling is that though I fall within the 80% range albeit on the low side, --dare I say it--it seems that admissions is only fishing for high scores. It seems disingenuous to state the GMAT scores are only one factor of a candidate's application when it is this very piece from what LeahPea describes as the main reason why candidates are wait listed. Of course, every school has it's own right in developing a different strategy in targeting top talent, but let's not forget that if candidates score too much higher, their top choice will be at a higher ranked school.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 11:12
Anyone in this forum accepted UCLA? Anyone debating UCLA and other schools?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 17:55
ewmba10 wrote:
Anyone in this forum accepted UCLA? Anyone debating UCLA and other schools?

I did get into the UC Irvine FEMBA with a fellowship and ended up paying the deposit there (got their decision early in april) only to get the call from UCLA 2 weeks later (not that I am complaining :) ). UCLA was my top choice so I have paid my deposit and sent the transcripts. I had applied to USC's MBA.PM too but will see if I can withdraw my app.

Now for the next challenge: finding a lender to loan about 100k to an international student.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 06:05
waitlistpurgatory wrote:
GoBruins, I think you are right. Dylan has said it himself, "I have never turned down a student with a 760 GMAT score." What I find baffling is that though I fall within the 80% range albeit on the low side, --dare I say it--it seems that admissions is only fishing for high scores. It seems disingenuous to state the GMAT scores are only one factor of a candidate's application when it is this very piece from what LeahPea describes as the main reason why candidates are wait listed. Of course, every school has it's own right in developing a different strategy in targeting top talent, but let's not forget that if candidates score too much higher, their top choice will be at a higher ranked school.

I would reserve your conclusion and judgments after UCLA FEMBA makes its decision on you. After all, if you end up getting accepted, you don't want to switch positions and say "yeah, UCLA FEMBA admissions process is fair".

In my humble opinion, it is hard to criticize the process of admitting someone based on their GMAT. What could be more objective?

Plus, UCLA FEMBA also seems to like people with MS in quant fields (perhaps to attractive more and better GAP clients?).

I think the essays and other factors will certainly matter more if you are on a WL, and I think someone mentioned a majority of WL get in anyhow.

Good luck
Intern
Intern

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 06:53
Puhleeze, get off your high horse. If everyone had to wait until final decision in order to be qualified to make observations about the WL process, I'd argue the perspective would be tainted by the resulting decision. No one is arguing that GMAT scores aren't a good measure for qualifying candidates but by using them as the final deciding factor is just a matter of priority for different adcoms. I am not even arguing that this is even the wrong approach, just simply making an observation that based on who primarily gets on WL, GMAT is one of the highest priorities for this program.
Manager
Manager

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 06:59
waitlistpurgatory wrote:
Puhleeze, get off your high horse. If everyone had to wait until final decision in order to be qualified to make observations about the WL process, I'd argue the perspective would be tainted by the resulting decision. No one is arguing that GMAT scores aren't a good measure for qualifying candidates but by using them as the final deciding factor is just a matter of priority for different adcoms. I am not even arguing that this is even the wrong approach, just simply making an observation that based on who primarily gets on WL, GMAT is one of the highest priorities for this program.

Well you called UCLA FEMBA admission process "disingenuous". I would think that is a rather harsh criticism and not simply an objective observation.
Current Student

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 09:00
waitlistpurgatory wrote:

I've heard the exact opposite, I've heard that they have turned down 760,770,780's.

To be fair I would say most schools that tend to be older in age care more about GMAT and work experience.. But that makes sense since GPA is so long ago (10 year average) the other 2 have to increase in importance. They've already stated that interviews are no important and Optional!

So unless people have amazing work experience that makes you stand out, GMAT will probably be bigger criteria.

If it makes you feel any better, retaking the GMAT's to improve your gmat's is ALOT easier than the 2+ years for masters and thesis it took to overcome my GPA.

Intern
Intern

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 09:43
Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, retaking the GMAT's to improve your gmat's is ALOT easier than the 2+ years for masters and thesis it took to overcome my GPA.

Definitely agree.
Intern
Intern

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 02:48
so how many GC'ers make it after all?

I guess I should wait until the final decisions are out.. in June is it?

I gotta start thinking about the deposit and getting my transcripts ready... that stuff will come up on us pretty soon too.
Current Student

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 07:47
I will be declining the offer, so I hope that helps the waitlisters.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 09:15
GoBruins wrote:

So where are you off to?
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA
WE 1: 14 Years

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 10:04
Anyone has any clue, when the next round of admission calls will happen. Twice it has happened when admissions office said one thing and did another.

1. There will be no third round and second round deadline was initially march 3.
Later they added a final round and extended the deadline for R2 too.
2. All results will be posted in June.
Some people got admission calls in April.

Does anyone see issue with this?
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA FEMBA
WE 1: LL
WE 2: USC

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 10:57
I hear you buddy, I only applied to UCLA, it’s the only school that suites me, it is gut wrenching to not have a decision. I check the admissions site dont know how many times a day. :).
Current Student

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 11:26
ewmba10 wrote:
GoBruins wrote:

So where are you off to?

Insead if I get accepted, if not ross.

Manager
Manager

Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 12:55
GoBruins wrote:
ewmba10 wrote:
GoBruins wrote:

So where are you off to?

Insead if I get accepted, if not ross.

Good luck. Both are great programs.
Re: UCLA FEMBA   [#permalink] 06 May 2010, 12:55

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  16    Next  [ 305 posts ]