Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 03:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

deleted

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

deleted [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 16:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
deleted

Last edited by eddyyan913 on 17 Jul 2014, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: deleted [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 09:28
I choose UCLA for you. In fact, It depends.

1. how old are you? girl or guy?
2. Where are you? If you go to UCLA, do you have to quit your current job?
3. If you have to quit your job to join any program and you have to considerate some clock-clicking thing such as to be married, you can think of UCSD so you can graduate in 2016.
4. At UCSD, Part-time and full-time share the same faculty and all the resources, including career service. I do not know UCLA.
5. I do not know whether it is the same extent to difficulty for you to get an internship at LA and at SD.
6. UCSD full-time is targeting at entrepreneurship.
7. I am in class of 2015. only 3-5(the youngest ones in our class) are in the finance sector for their internship in the summer. About 5-10 in marketing, strategy, supply chain. almost 50% of international students in my class. It's very very veeeery difficulty for those international student to get an internship. Generally, international students with CPA or CFA, accounting background can get some internship in small firms. Or, international students with Electronic Engineering or computer science can get a project manager internship in small firms.
8. If you do not need to quit your job to go to UCLA, I strongly recommend you to attend UCLA part-time program. You are going to have 3 more years of full-time working experience. It will be way easier to find a job at a boutique investment bank after your graduation. You can get more contacts via your work.
9. Do you kind of like your current job and working environment? Or you do not like, even you just hate your current working environment? if so, go back to look at "3,4,5"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: deleted [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 10:14
EmmaUC wrote:

3. If you have to quit your job to join any program and you have to considerate some clock-clicking thing such as to be married, you can think of UCSD so you can graduate in 2016.
4. At UCSD, Part-time and full-time share the same faculty and all the resources, including career service. I do not know UCLA.
5. I do not know whether it is the same extent to difficulty for you to get an internship at LA and at SD.
7. I am in class of 2015. only 3-5(the youngest ones in our class) are in the finance sector for their internship in the summer. About 5-10 in marketing, strategy, supply chain. almost 50% of international students in my class. It's very very veeeery difficulty for those international student to get an internship. Generally, international students with CPA or CFA, accounting background can get some internship in small firms. Or, international students with Electronic Engineering or computer science can get a project manager internship in small firms.
8. If you do not need to quit your job to go to UCLA, I strongly recommend you to attend UCLA part-time program. You are going to have 3 more years of full-time working experience. It will be way easier to find a job at a boutique investment bank after your graduation. You can get more contacts via your work.
9. Do you kind of like your current job and working environment? Or you do not like, even you just hate your current working environment? if so, go back to look at "3,4,5"

1. I am a 25 yo Asian male
2. I am currently working as a Financial Analyst in San Deigo, I will search for equity research analyst or IB analyst positions in LA if I decide to attend UCLA
3. I am focusing on my career and growing professionally in the next 10 years. There will be no personal obligations.
4. UCLA share the same faculty (at least i was told), and the Degree is identical on paper for PT and FT
5. LA would be easier for me to obtain an internship. Finance is very limited in SD
6. Agreed. But I have peers from UCSD who got an Middle Market Investment Banking Internship in SF with some help from UCSD program.
7. Great insight from a current student
8. No I do not have to quit my job. they have flexible scheduling options. and I can actually finish in 27 months. (vs 21 at UCSD)
9. I like the relaxed environment at my company (shorts, flipflops etc), and I can work from home or anywhere with wifi. I don't have a set schedule, and there are no hard deadlines. However, FP&A experience cannot be counted as Financial Services experience. I would like to break into the financial industry thus I am doing an MBA. I am seeking an opportunity that is more closely align with my professional goal.
Intern
Intern
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: deleted [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 11:05
eddyyan913 wrote:
EmmaUC wrote:

1. I am a 25 yo Asian male
2. I am currently working as a Financial Analyst in San Deigo, I will search for equity research analyst or IB analyst positions in LA if I decide to attend UCLA
3. I am focusing on my career and growing professionally in the next 10 years. There will be no personal obligations.
4. UCLA share the same faculty (at least i was told), and the Degree is identical on paper for PT and FT
5. LA would be easier for me to obtain an internship. Finance is very limited in SD
6. Agreed. But I have peers from UCSD who got an Middle Market Investment Banking Internship in SF with some help from UCSD program.
7. Great insight from a current student
8. No I do not have to quit my job. they have flexible scheduling options. and I can actually finish in 27 months. (vs 21 at UCSD)
9. I like the relaxed environment at my company (shorts, flipflops etc), and I can work from home or anywhere with wifi. I don't have a set schedule, and there are no hard deadlines. However, FP&A experience cannot be counted as Financial Services experience. I would like to break into the financial industry thus I am doing an MBA. I am seeking an opportunity that is more closely align with my professional goal.

1. We have 47 students in my class. Full-time. About 10-20 want to go to investment bank or consulting. About 10-20, marketing. 2-5 want to start their business after graduation. 5-10 may to start their venture years later. Not for sure. International students are less sure about their goals.
2. The dilemma of UCSD program is that it is more related with entrepreneurship. 3 quarters, 3 classes, for Lab2Market class. The professor in my class last quarter have no experience in a start-up. ( He is board of many start-ups, of course.) The cases are out of date. and only a very few students want to start their business in the full-time cohort. Our TA is PHD students. Rady business school is teaching students to write a business plan using an academic grading system. Good thing is that students can brag about their business plans at Rady school when they work at investment bank since many students in other program will not required to write business plans. We have pretty strong part-time cohort. Many of them already have very good career. More students in part-time cohort want to start their own business. Lab2Market class make more sense to them.
3. Look at statistics data of how many students got an internship in the finance, consulting,etc. in two cohort. I guess UCLA have a much higher rate.
4. You are young, male. For career goals, definitely UCLA. I think many part time MBA did not benefit from their MBA background because they have higher cost opportunity and they can not be more eager and hungry to new opportunity in the finance sector, while not because part-time is not as accredited as full-time.
Re: deleted   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2014, 11:05