Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 08:04
I was accepted at both UCLA Anderson (with a full scholarship and a fellowship) and Northwestern Kellogg (with no $ as of yet). I am a career switcher, ultimately interested in working in Entertainment/Media. I was initially leaning towards UCLA for that reason. However, I really want the Kellogg pedigree. Fortunately, the money isn't a huge concern. Any thoughts - is Kellogg much better than UCLA? Would I be able to enter the Entertaiment industry out of Kellogg??
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
Just an anecdote I heard from kryzak - someone from Kellogg wanted to get into the tech sector in Silicon Valley. Tried his utmost but was unsuccessful. Tech companies really dont come out in force in Kellogg, while preferring to go to Haas or UCLA for recruitment.

I think a similar rationale holds here. UCLA is right in the heart of the entertainment/media industry. While Kellogg may hold a higher brand value, in the end, if you have 50 media companies showing up for recruitment at UCLA while 5 make it to Kellogg, which school would you want to go to?

Given your career objectives, I would prefer UCLA.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V46
GPA: 3.71
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 10

Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats on your acceptances. Obviously there are a lot of things to consider and I am not a person with intimate knowledge of the entertainment industry so my opinions don't hold too much weight. Since you said money isn't a huge concern I'll assume that isn't a factor in this decision.

First question is what type of media/entertainment are you interested in? Is there a specific segment which attracts you? Music, movies, network television, advertising, internet, print? That makes a significant difference. If your goal is to make it into a major film studio then the obvious choice is UCLA. Networking is important in most industries and it is paramount (no pun intended) in film and television. Entertainment is an industry that attracts many many people so relationships are key to gaining a legitimate position. You need to be where the epicenter of the industry is if you want to build a robust network, so LA is where you would need to be.

Now if you don't have your heart set on working for a big TV or film studio I think Kellogg would be the better choice. With Kellogg's top notch marketing reputation you should be able to land a good job at a major media conglomerate easily (think Clear Channel, Viacom, Disney). I believe Chicago is the 3rd largest media market in America and the largest (NY) isn't far away, so you shouldn't have any trouble breaking into the industry. Also, the Kellogg brand will go farther down the road if you leave the entertainment sector. However if you intend to stay in entertainment forever I believe it's an industry that doesn't put as much of a premium on prestigious education, rather it's more relationship based, so your MBA pedigree won't matter as much as in other industries.

In summary the questions you need to ask yourself are where do you want to live (if California the choice should be UCLA without question), what segment of the industry are you interested in, and are you sure want to do entertainment forever? If you want to make movies or TV go to LA. If you want to do just about anything else I'd go to Kellogg. My two cents.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 18:30
This post received
KUDOS
If you want to go to Media/Entertainment, UCLA is the school for you. Kellogg's brand wouldn't mean anything if their alumni network isn't there.

Think from an alumni perspective. Would you be more incline to hire someone from your alma mater or a slightly better branded school?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q38 V45
GPA: 3.37

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 10:23
This post received
KUDOS
I think everyone has given great advice already, and I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 as I currently work for a tv/film studio in LA - if it's UCLA vs. Kellogg and you really want to be in this industry, you need to go to UCLA. I do know of co-workers with MBAs from other programs, like Kellogg, Fuqua, etc., but they are few and far between - UCLA and USC are the predominate alum in the industry.

HTH!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:08
Tough one - I'd probably go with UCLA if you are really truly set on Media/Entertainment.

1. Obvious one - LA is the epicenter of those industries so it will be easier to network during the school year and maybe UCLA has better recruiting (although I don't know mcuh about media/ent recruiting)
2. Overlooked a lot, but I personally think this is a big issue - the money allows you to be a lot more flexible. Banks and consulting firms recruit before everyone else for a reason - they know that their big draw is higher salaries and when you have a bunch of people who are paying $150k for school that is indeed a big selling point. If you don't have such a large cost you're trying to recoup, you can concentrate more on finding the job you really want and the "I'll just do banking/consulting for a few years and then do what I want" thoughts are less likely to creep in
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:18
Oh wow. Thank you for all of those incredibly thorough responses! I really appreciate the insight. I ultimately want to go into TV production - working for a big TV studio. Whether I chose to spend my entire career in the entertainment industry is still very unknown. I currently live in NY and eventually want to return (not immediately after graduation, but in a few years).

Just found out that I was also accepted into Berkeley. I think I can safely write Berkeley off, though.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 13

Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:20
congrats on the acceptances

UCLA's employment report looks like about 10% go into media and entertainment vs. 1-2% for Kellogg. Seems like UCLA therefore would have a bigger / stronger alumni base in the industry. Not to mention geography is probably important as most companies are in the UCLA area.

These are just stats, but I'd talk to alumni in the industry and get their view
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:21
I think falcondevil is right. If you're more interested in working for a major record label or large movie studio then I think that UCLA is your best bet. From what I hear the network in LA is vast and powerful. Plus isn't UCLA undergrad known for having one of the best film departments around?

If you want companies more skewed to the media end of things and want to work in strategy or marketing or finance then I think Kellogg might be a better bet. It's closer to NYC which is where a lot of the media companies are based (think ABC, NBC, and digital and print media). I think the Kellogg brand might serve you better in that capacity.

Also think about where you want to be for 2 years. LA and Chicago are very different cities and each has its own draw and personality. You have to ask yourself where you fit best. Are you going to either schools' admitted students weekend? The questions you have about career prospects are likely to be answered there.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:23
ACMBA wrote:
Oh wow. Thank you for all of those incredibly thorough responses! I really appreciate the insight. I ultimately want to go into TV production - working for a big TV studio. Whether I chose to spend my entire career in the entertainment industry is still very unknown. I currently live in NY and eventually want to return (not immediately after graduation, but in a few years).

Just found out that I was also accepted into Berkeley. I think I can safely write Berkeley off, though.

Congrats on Haas. I wouldn't write off any school until you know exactly what they are offering and the resources they can provide to you. Besides it's nice to luxuriate in an admit for at least a little bit before saying no thanks. This period of just "enjoying it" is often when the school starts pulling out their best tricks to woo you. You don't want to pack up your chair before the show even starts.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton
WE 1: Law

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 11:25
I think UCLA is the overwhelming choice. You know what you want to do and UCLA is more successful at placing people in that profession than Kellogg. Plus, you have a massive financial aid package, which will go a loooong way in helping you reach your goals. Jumping into media/entertainment means you will likely start at a much lower salary than bankers and consultants. If you don't have any educational debt load, you will be really well positioned to take advantage of a job offer that is an amazing opportunity at a lower salary. Also, you should consider the networking/interviewing opportunities offered by living in LA. If you are at Kellogg, you will have to regularly fly out to LA to interview with media/entertainment companies, which will be a big time suck and cost a lot (especially if on short notice!). Either way, great for you to have a choice between two great programs and an offer of financial aid!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Completed all CFA exams
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 11:28
I used to work for Disney Corporate Operations Planning on the media team. To me, UCLA is the clear choice, especially with the money you would be getting. There are lots of Anderson and Marshall grads working for Disney and other entertainment firms. Outside of UCLA and USC grads, I saw people that went to Tuck, Harvard, and Stanford, but I never met any Kellogg grads.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 15:18
I'd also go with UCLA because of the generous scholarship package. I will not think twice, I will go straight to LA, even though it may seem that Kellogg may be ranked higher. It also depends on the industry one may want to get into right after my MBA.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 21:33
I agree with everyone else. If you are set on media - go UCLA.

If you want some options, go Kellogg.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Kellogg c/o 2013. Ask me anything

Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 16:27
Agree with the previous posters... UCLA seems the way ago, especially since they are giving you $$$
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 16:36
What is most useful for training? Economics, or other? :roll:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 19:00
Definitely would go with UCLA if you want to be in entertainment. Plus you are doing it without having to go through the pre-requisites, ie waiting tables. Everyone in LA waits tables before they become an actor. With that aside, high profile studios and people are all located in LA. Think about Burbank, the epicenter of much entertainment activity, it is about 10-15 mins from Westwood. All the connections, meetings, and events are going to be happening in LA or NY.

If you go to Chicago, I think the big studio there is the Oprah Network. Kind of limits you to possibilities there, additionally, you will probably be traveling to LA or NY all the time, which makes the brand of Kellogg all that more unattractive.

Look at the industry placements from Kellogg vs. UCLA and you will find that LA places much more people in media/entertainment than Kellogg would.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2014, 15:07
bugcampus wrote:
Vote for Kellogg

Old post :roll:
Re: UCLA $$$ v. Kellogg   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2014, 15:07