Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCLA ($$) vs. Kellogg for Finance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

UCLA ($$) vs. Kellogg for Finance [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 18:55
Hi, would greatly appreciate some help / advice / thoughts in choosing between schools.

I have been accepted at both UCLA (with 40k) and Kellogg (no money) and am torn between which school.

I am currently in Finance (S&T) but want to transition to IB or investment management after school. I feel that while Kellogg is a better school overall, UCLA does have quite a strong program / recruiting for Finance within the LA / west coast area. Kellogg doesn't seem to be quite so strong in Finance. Personally, I live in Chicago so going to Kellogg would be easier, but I feel long term I may want to transition to the west coast.

I've looked at the UCLA employment report and they send quite a few people to Finance, Goldman, investment management, etc. but I'm not sure if those are sales vs. true quant roles.

Do you feel that Kellogg really is that much better than UCLA (ranking aside)? Is UCLA's Finance program that strong or is it just in my head / perception?
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA ($$) vs. Kellogg for Finance [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 05:33
Expert's post
I got $40k at UCLA and (I think) no money at Kellogg, so I should be able to give you a good perspective haha.

For me, choosing Kellogg was an insanely easy choice.

1) The average starting salary/bonus is $25k higher at Kellogg than UCLA.....so that right there is "worth" considerably more than $40k. The difference gets even more huge when you look at 5 year out and 20 year out salary data.

2) Prestige. Kellogg is a top 5 school, UCLA is barely top 15. Kellogg is a national brand, UCLA is specific to California only. I really didn't like being beholden to one specific region....especially a region that has employment issues (UCLA has the worst employment figures out the top 25).

3) Recruiting. I want to do consulting, so a little different than you, but 3x more people get into consulting at kellogg than UCLA, and they have like 10-15 times more people get MBB. For finance, there might be slightly more people who get finance jobs than Kellogg (I don't have the employment report in front of me), but it's important to realize there's A LOT of self selection going on (most finance people choose to go to columbia or booth) and to look at the quality of the jobs. If you want a finance job from Kellogg, you can get it. At UCLA, very few people get front office investment jobs, most of the finance jobs are lower quality. At Kellogg, if you want to be an investment banker, you can get it.

4) Community. UCLA has a lot of commuters who have lived in LA their whole life. Kellogg is the closest knit community there is (well, maybe after Tuck). I've heard people complain about the UCLA community and have some unhappiness with their time there, I've never heard a negative thing from a Kellogg student. That's a bit anecdotal, but was important for convincing me.

Only thing in UCLA's favor is the weather, kinda sad I have to deal with polar vortexes, but that's a bad reason to choose a school haha.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 05-14-2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA ($$) vs. Kellogg for Finance [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 06:40
I'm probably biased since I've lived in CA my whole life, but I'd say Kellogg would be worth the extra $40k. Honestly, $40k seems pretty marginal in the grand scheme of b-school costs and I think worth it for a better school!

GMATPrep1 620 Q44 V32
MGMAT 2A 630 Q40 V36
GMATPrep2 650 Q44 V35
MGMAT 3A 690 Q45 V38
GMATPrep1 710 Q47 V40 (retake)
MGMAT 4A 650 Q40 V39
GMATPrep EP1 670 Q44 V38
ACTUAL GMAT 600 Q35 V37
GMATPrep EP2 700 Q44 V41
GMATPrep2 700 Q42 V44 (retake)
ACTUAL GMAT 660 Q42 V39
MGMAT 650 Q39 V39
MGMAT 630 Q39 V37
GMAT PrepEP2 690 Q46 V39
ACTUAL GMAT 710 Q44 V44

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: UCLA ($$) vs. Kellogg for Finance [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 08:38
This is an easy one, I would go with Kellogg. I agree with mgh in that Kellogg applicants tend to be self selective with more of a focus on GM / consulting. During my research, I actually thought Kellogg was a bit underrated in finance. Overall, the it comes down to Kellogg is a national school whereas UCLA is regional. Therefore I would guess that Kellogg will get more recruiters on campus than UCLA.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: UCLA ($$) vs. Kellogg for Finance [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 13:48
UCLA Anderson is a great school, but I vote Kellogg
Re: UCLA ($$) vs. Kellogg for Finance   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2014, 13:48